• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help with tire size..

Ken is back! I can sleep soundly now:smile:

or 285/30/18 - a 265 will look stretched on a 10 in. rim

Last edited:
or 285/30/18 - a 265 will lokk stretched on a 10 in. rim
No, it won't; 18x10 isn't even the top of the approved range of rim widths for 265/35-18 tires, most of which are approved for use on rims 9.0-10.5 inches wide. And the handling will suffer with the excessive stagger (difference in treadwidth front vs rear) of the 285 rears. Stick with 265/35-18.

ok, sure thing??? - have you ever seen a 265/35/18 on a 10" rim??? - I have , i own them , THEY LOOK STRETCHED! maybe not stretched to the max but enough that the edge of the rim is exposed to the point that (a) it looks stupid and (b) it will easily be damaged by any sort of contact w/ curbs etc. I realize that there are differences in tire widths "size for size" between brands/models of tire but if you want your tire to cover the rim - well a 265 won't . As far as handling is concerned I guess this is a debatable topic and it boils down to your own personal opinion of how you want your car to handle ,saying that it will adversely affect handling may be little overboard,there are plenty of people here on prime running 215 front/285 rear , i am sure none of them have driven off the road in a ball of flames due to it!

Last edited:
ok, sure thing??? - have you ever seen a 265/35/18 on a 10" rim???
Yes. THEY LOOK FINE.

If you think that a properly-mounted tire looks stupid, that's your opinion. There are plenty of people who think that a 285/30-18 tire looks stupid. That's what opinions are; they're OPINIONS.

265/35-18 looks FINE.

it will easily be damaged by any sort of contact w/ curbs etc.
If you're really concerned about damage to your wheels, that's another reason NOT to use 285/30-18 rear tires. That size has a shorter sidewall than 265/35-18, leaving the wheels more susceptible to damage from potholes.

As far as handling is concerned I guess this is a debatable topic and it boils down to your own personal opinion of how you want your car to handle
Handling degrades when you have a stagger of 70 mm. Many of the most knowledgeable people on this board have noticed the same thing.

285/30-18 is also likely to cause TCS problems on a '91-93 NSX, when used with 215/35-18 front tires - not necessarily initially, but over time as the rears wear down. 265/35-18 won't.

Stick to 265/35-18. They look fine, and they will give you the best handling.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this up if anyone wants to know if 18x10 can have 265 wide tires at the back. I'm planning to replace my 285 with 265. Mainly for clearance. Front will be replaced from 225 to 215 to avoid rubbing.

Back