help with cigarette light

ok so my cigarette lighter doesnt work, when you push down it doesnt stay down to warm up and then pop out. I put a power cord in, that is what i will use it for, and nothing! I checked the fuse in the engine area and it was not blown. I checked Acura and they want $100 for a new unit and then labor for the install. If anyone has any ideas of what the problem could be please let me know. Thanks

Did you check with some of the vendors that post here? They usually give good discounts. Tim at Ray Laks or Clint at Acura of Reno?

I am going to check just wondering if maybe i missed something that needs to be checked before i purchase a new one, if i do purchase a new one does anyone have install info?

You really need to trouble shoot this. There are 4 fuses that can cause the lighter to not work(some of these will kill other things as well). This will take some good electrical troubleshooting using the service manual and schematics:).

I would not pruchase anything until you know the issue. Probably just be a blown fuse.

In the 1991 service manual on page 23-226 it shows all the fuses for the lighter, as well as the lighter relay.

HTH,
LarryB

I agree with LarryB. When mine wasn't working, the problem turned out turned out to be behind the cigarette lighter, which required removal of the center console to repair it, but the failure could be in one of several places.

I too had the same problem and later found it to be a cracked wire leading to the base of the lighter. I removed the center console, applied a bit of solder to reconnect it. and i'm a happy camper now.

It kills me to bring my car to the dealership for this type of service. I am the manager of a dealership, not an acura or honda, so i know how things work. Now i am stuck as should i invest the time as a novice and try to locate the problem or bring it to a dealership and let them diagnosis it? What do oyu guys think as your my standard for the bar right now on everything nsx. Btw i brought my car to work and it was a great feeling when everyone was around it asking questions and complimenting it. I am sure you guys are used to it but out of all the cars i have owned, the number being 55 now, this one gets the most attention. Being a car buff my list of cars is no list of clunkers either. Well just sharing in my joy but if anyone has any additional thoughts on my situation please share. Thank you.

It kills me to bring my car to the dealership for this type of service. I am the manager of a dealership, not an acura or honda, so i know how things work. Now i am stuck as should i invest the time as a novice and try to locate the problem or bring it to a dealership and let them diagnosis it? What do oyu guys think as your my standard for the bar right now on everything nsx. Btw i brought my car to work and it was a great feeling when everyone was around it asking questions and complimenting it. I am sure you guys are used to it but out of all the cars i have owned, the number being 55 now, this one gets the most attention. Being a car buff my list of cars is no list of clunkers either. Well just sharing in my joy but if anyone has any additional thoughts on my situation please share. Thank you.

I think you could do it yourself. If you can't find a blown fuse then Member Briank has a link to instructions on removing the center console in his signature. It only takes about 20-30 minutes to have the center console out and you will see whats behind the cigarette lighter. Just have a ziplock bag handy to put all the screws in. They are all the same size so you don't have to worry which ones go where.

Back