Help!!!! What would you do????????

I have a deposit on a blk/blk 92 5 speed with 79k miles and a 95 transmission for $26.5

While waitiing for the owner of the 92 to get the title I have found a blk/blk 93 with 57k miles aftermarket wheels , upgraded stereo for $32.5 what would you do????? ohhh, both cars are 5 speed.

I would stick with the '92:

-There's a 6k difference in price
-I would use the $ difference to get wheels and other goodies that "I" picked out not someone else. It kinda puts my signature on it.
-The earlier models are more rigid
-After the wheel mod, you still have enough for a Taitec light-weight GT exhaust!

My 2 cents

Welcome aboard Landsalmon!!!!! 1k deposit.

I like where you're coming from Simon!!!!! I do agree with you as I have already been shopping for wheels, exaust , turbos, superchargers etc....I can't help myself, it's a sickness!!!:eek: In the end it is a 6k price difference.

I would also stick with the 92. The biggest problem with the 92 was the snap-ring in the tranny. It sounds like that one went out and that would be why it has a 95 tranny. If it is a full 95 tranny, it will also have a shorter second gear which will be more fun to drive. For 6K you could get wheels and an exhaust and maybe even headers.

Simons2k said:
I've actually never heard of a difference between the '92 and '93 in terms of rigidity... of course there is certainly a difference between the coups (all: 92-94) and the Ts (most: 95+). Simons, I'm not saying that your comment is wrong, I've just never heard of that before except for what I mentioned above. :smile:

Something else to consider: the '93 has a passenger airbag and a pathetic cup holder - the '92 has neither (I think).

Assuming your deposit is non-refundable, you would consider your $1k a sunk cost and there is actually an $8k price difference.

Stick with the '92 and use the extra money to make it just like you want it.

I got a 92 over the 93 just to avoid the pass airbag...I have small children and if you do hit something, its just one more expensive thing to fix.

Simons2k said:
I would stick with the '92:

What I should've said is that they are lighter in weight not more rigid.

If both cars are up to date on services, then get the '92.

If the 93 has the services done and the 92 doesn't, then be sure to consider that into your cost difference.

For example, timing belt + water pump = $1400, coolant hoses = $600 to $1,000. Does the 92 need a clutch soon = $2500. Consider those costs.

If neither car is done, then get the 92. If the 92 is done and the 93 isn't, get the 92. If both cars are done, get the 92. If the 93 is done and the 92 isn't, then consider those costs into the price difference and see how close the difference really is.

NetViper said:
I would also stick with the 92. The biggest problem with the 92 was the snap-ring in the tranny. It sounds like that one went out and that would be why it has a 95 tranny. If it is a full 95 tranny, it will also have a shorter second gear which will be more fun to drive. For 6K you could get wheels and an exhaust and maybe even headers.

I don't think the '95 has a different tranny as far as second gear is concerned unless short gears have been installed. Other than the snap-ring (or actually the case), I think the trannys are the same as far as gearing.

Back