Help to a newbie about to take the plunge, please

Hi all,

Like many, lusted after one of these for many years but never in a position to buy one. That may change in the next few days as I am making arrangements for a PPI on a low mileage 97, red over black.

I've tried to be diligent about reading and searching but realize I may have missed some things so apologize if I'm asking questions that have been asked a thousand times.

I'm doing my own inspection tomorrow evening, have my Used NSX Checklist in hand and a fair amount of shadetree mechanical knowledge. Seller has maintenance history (all from Acura dealer). Had the TB/WP service done because of age (car only has 38K miles), brakes at 50%, never tracked, bone stock. Anything beyond that check list to look for, anything peculiar to a 97 to be aware of?

Is there any company out there that insures these cars as cars of particular interest if it's to be primarily stored and driven less than X miles per year? Any company in particular that seems to be better at insuring them than others? I have Allstate on all my other cars and will call them tomorrow to see how "happy" they are about an NSX.

As for me, owned and raced a number of Miatas, owned a C6 for about a year until GM bought it back under the lemon law (last GM car for me, live and learn). Only adequate high performance driving skills but old enough (60) to know my limits and stay within them. No familiarity with driving an NSX or mid-engine cars in general. Did have my very first "off road" experience in an earlies 70's 911 before all the electronic nannies. Fortunately, it was into a wide open field and no one was hurt (well, beyond my then young cocksure ego). I expect there to be a learning curve with the car, hopefully not too steep.

Thanks for any helpful information anyone can provide. I hope all goes well and that it's sitting in my garage this time next week and I'll be able to post up some pictures and "officially" move out of the "prospective buyers" section :biggrin:

Tom

Welcome!

I don't remember if this is in the checklist, but all the gaps between body panels should be consistant. I would also run the A/C while driving the car throughout the RPM range to listen for a whirring noise made by a faulty compressor.

Haggerty insures the NSX as an Exotic as long as the miles are reasonable. The good thing is you can decide on an agreed value.

Good Luck on your search.

look for "orangepeel" on the paint. you should be able to read print off the reflection. The factory paint jobs on these cars was one of the things that allowed it to command the premium dollars

As far as insurance goes, if you already insure all of your other vehicles, and you have a 1 driver to 1 car match up, then you should be able to insure the NSX as a pleasure-only vehicle. The key is that you can not have any extra drivers in your household, or the insurance company will try and rate the extra driver to the new car.

I did this with my NSX (State Farm), and I believe this is the standard practice for all the major carriers. In the end, the NSX was less to insure than my DD which is a 2008 XC90.

Of course, if you take it to the track, all bets are off.

Kevin T.

Welcome!

I don't remember if this is in the checklist, but all the gaps between body panels should be consistant. I would also run the A/C while driving the car throughout the RPM range to listen for a whirring noise made by a faulty compressor.

Haggerty insures the NSX as an Exotic as long as the miles are reasonable. The good thing is you can decide on an agreed value.

Thanks for the suggestion about the A/C compressor (know A/C work can be very expensive on these cars) and also for the tip about Haggerty.

Welcome!

Can you please elaborate on this whirling sound from the a/c compressor? I was always able to hear it very loud whenever it kicks on, but I do have the engine cover removed so I can hear everything in the engine bay.

I have allstate and they insured it as a <5k mile/year car. Look for records that document mileage/dates to assure accurate mileage. Look at the door/trunk jambs for paint overspray/tape lines. I would run the heat as well as the a/c. Check all blinkers/brakes/wipers/etc. Sounds like you have the mechanical end down. If in doubt get a compression test/leak down done. Good luck!!

Jeff

Check the Targa roof for leaks as this is a $1,000 gasket. If the owner permits you to run a hose over the top. Also check the inside tire tread, as the tires with the stock alignment wear on the inside where as the outsides look completely unworn, Expecially in the front.

Good luck,

Tytus

Check the Targa roof for leaks as this is a $1,000 gasket. If the owner permits you to run a hose over the top. Also check the inside tire tread, as the tires with the stock alignment wear on the inside where as the outsides look completely unworn, Expecially in the front.

Good luck,

Tytus

Thanks for the great tips so far, violating one of my own rules and getting far too excited about this car :(

To answer one of my own questions and perhaps help new potential owners, I've been shopping insurance all morning. Allstate is $569/6mos but insured as a recreational car and with 100/300 liability and $500 deduct on coll/comp.

Hagerty's was $769/year with similar coverage.

Sneed, who does a couple of my other collector cars, was $668/year for same coverage as Allstate but with 3000 mile driving limit (which is probably about what I'll do with the car).

Tom-

Thanks for starting the thread - I'm in almost exactly the same situation with a 96 Red/Tan car. (Tried to post last night, look like there was some technical problems.)

Your insurance numbers are encouraging - just started my search there and got $845/year (in MA) by adding it to my existing coverage, so I think I'm in the ballpark.

Curious if anyone has any comments about the condition of this example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=230269742433&rd=1

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Back