HELP! Question about Fluctuating Idle issue on 91? Whats wrong?

Hey guys,
I went to look at 2 different cars yesterday. The one I liked is in North Jersey, Red/black one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...oryZ5337QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It has a little issue that drove me nuts a couple years back on a 93 prelude:

The Idle bobbs, steadly like a heart beat pulse between 600-1100rpm, but once the accelorator is pressed its fine.

A couple of years ago I had this problem on a prelude and spent $600 between two shops that couldent resolve the issue (replaced intake manifold gasket and couple other small things)

Than it turned out (3rd shop) it was the Idle Air Control Valve wich was only $85 or so.
I even bought that prelude for $2000 under trade in (paid 3500 in 99) in because this kid couldent take it anymore and had said-- the cars runns absolutly great with no issues besides this damm idle problem.

Now this NSX doesent seem to have a rough jiggle idle that would be more problematic. Mabe Electronic. Mabe Air control valve? mabe idle to low?

Mabe bigger problem?
what are your opinions?
whats the probable cause and worst case scenario?
Guy told me he has a freind with same thing and its normal??!?!?!? Bull Shit!!!!

I occasionally get that. But never bad, just goes from 500 rpm or so to 1500 maybe like 2-3 times slowly, then it's smooth again. Happens maybe every 30th time I start her up. I believe it's a common problem, look in the FAQ section, sure it's in there.

KooLaid said:
I occasionally get that. But never bad, just goes from 500 rpm or so to 1500 maybe like 2-3 times slowly, then it's smooth again. Happens maybe every 30th time I start her up. I believe it's a common problem, look in the FAQ section, sure it's in there.

this car stayed like that for 5 min then we went for a ride and came back and still did the same thing every time the car was idling. even at stop lights

Have you ever had it looked into?

Last edited:
Patricio said:
this car sayed like that for 5 min then we went for a ride and came back and still did the same thing every time the car was ideling. even at stop lights

Have you ever had it looked into?
I have 2 words for you.....Larry Bastanza...... If you're really interested in this car, get it to Larry for a thorough inspection, or if that's the only issue that concerns you, give him a call, or PM and he can give you some ideas what is going on with that car. Good luck in your search:biggrin:

Back