Help purchasing a high milage '91

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help,

I am looking at this '91:
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4864552008.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281579338522?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true#viTabs_1

What are your thoughts on it?

Pricing I feel would have to be under 20k CAD for this car given its state? What do you think?

I have been reading on other higher milage NSX's (it is at 222k miles, originally USA car, southern states).

I am finishing up my engineering degree and capable of changing the clutch myself (along with whatever else comes along - my home shop is set up to do the DIY).

The worn out clutch was a racing clutch and did not survive a 8000 miles of city driving.

There is only the maintenance history as stated in the ads.

With that low of a VIN, the snap ring should be out of range, any concern with the other transmission components?
The valve cover gaskets could have been the effect of the bad PCV valve.
The interior was recently re-upholstered and re-carpeted.
TB/WP was done at 190k (can replace on my own in the future)

I also have great mechanically inclined friends to help me out.

I currently have a '03 Acura TL Type S A-Spec with low km's as an alternative driver.

Cheers,
the last aspec

Last edited:
That one caught my eye as well.

These low cost/high milage cars are very attractive IF they have been cared for. They were designed at the height of Honda's prowess, and there was so much attention paid to their assembly that they very well might have been the best-built cars ever constructed.

However, the 'IF' is significant.

Like any car, they have to be properly cared for. If there are thorough records and the current owner obviously paid great attention to maintenance, then this is a no-brainer. For example, Mitch on this forum has a high mile NSX, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying it because he really takes care of it. Given some of the current issues with this car, I suspect that is not the case here. The current owner has allowed issues to crop without addressing them. It makes me wonder what else he neglected.

Perhaps a very thorough PPI could detect potential issues.

That one caught my eye as well.

These low cost/high milage cars are very attractive IF they have been cared for. They were designed at the height of Honda's prowess, and there was so much attention paid to their assembly that they very well might have been the best-built cars ever constructed.

However, the 'IF' is significant.

Like any car, they have to be properly cared for. If there are thorough records and the current owner obviously paid great attention to maintenance, then this is a no-brainer. For example, Mitch on this forum has a high mile NSX, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying it because he really takes care of it. Given some of the current issues with this car, I suspect that is not the case here. The current owner has allowed issues to crop without addressing them. It makes me wonder what else he neglected.

Perhaps a very thorough PPI could detect potential issues.

Thank you very much. I am very anal when it comes to doing maintenance and not letting things like that crop up.

His response to why he was selling it was that he had recently purchased a condo and did not have the time or money for the car anymore, supporting your case.

The worn out clutch was a racing clutch and did not survive a 8000 miles of city driving.

It's already over $20k USD so it is well over your threshold of 20k Canadian

Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say that was the value I put on it given its state - updated original post.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I am very anal when it comes to doing maintenance and not letting things like that crop up.

His response to why he was selling it was that he had recently purchased a condo and did not have the time or money for the car anymore, supporting your case.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say that was the value I put on it given its state - updated original post.

So many jokes in the above...but I will hold off. (Kidding of course.)

I have one with over 335K on the clock. The engine bay on the one you show is as clean as mine. Mine was well-cared for but I cannot produce much in way of receipts to I jumped in and put ~$5K all-in into the TB/WP, plugs, harmonic balancer, other maintenance, just to get it ready to drive without concern. As to the clutch, depending on how bad it is, you may not get a proper test drive out of it. That would be a concern to me.

I like this one at $15-18K. Do I think you could get it cheaper? Cash in hand goes a long way.

Good luck and let us know.

So many jokes in the above...but I will hold off. (Kidding of course.)

I have one with over 335K on the clock. The engine bay on the one you show is as clean as mine. Mine was well-cared for but I cannot produce much in way of receipts to I jumped in and put ~$5K all-in into the TB/WP, plugs, harmonic balancer, other maintenance, just to get it ready to drive without concern. As to the clutch, depending on how bad it is, you may not get a proper test drive out of it. That would be a concern to me.

I like this one at $15-18K. Do I think you could get it cheaper? Cash in hand goes a long way.

Good luck and let us know.

Hahaha, didn't think that post through.

You're totally right, he said it won't drive around at all in the state it's in (and he said it was sitting for the past few months now).
I totally agree with your idea to give it a clean bill of maintenance if purchased - too many unknowns with this car's history.

Great angle of leverage to negotiate the price down.

As a bit of an introduction, my dad's '88 300ZX Turbo I restored this past year and my TL (two pictures I have on hand at the moment):

2014-09-14%u0025252019.20.37.jpg

IMG_7771-1.jpg

Last edited:
no that is the price I am looking for..... you guys find another like that let me know I have the cash in hand. been looking for a couple weeks now with only one I really like in the 30K range, I want something closer to 20-25 range with 100K miles

help guys........... I would have jumped on the craigslist one if I had found it damn it man

no that is the price I am looking for..... you guys find another like that let me know I have the cash in hand. been looking for a couple weeks now with only one I really like in the 30K range, I want something closer to 20-25 range with 100K miles

help guys........... I would have jumped on the craigslist one if I had found it damn it man

Shawn, I am in the same boat as you let me know if you see something that is not quite what you want as I may be interested. You know where I will be coming for parts.....:o)

Good luck aspec!

On the other hand, this one you:

-Can't take it for a test drive or a PPI due to the shot clutch
-Has been sitting outside the past few months
-Unknown maint. history
-Things like the valve cover gasket let go by previous, previous owner (prob due to the PCV valve - they should have been checking their oil consumption)
-222,000 miles
-Suspension probably needs TLC along with a lot of other parts.

Maybe the 30k cared for, low milage car is worth it over this?
Costs to fix this car up, and the fact so much is unknown, can quickly crop up.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get the BAT daily emails. Comments are pretty funny and some seriously cool stuff pops up every now and then. Not much NSX traffic though.

Yeah, I get the BAT daily emails. Comments are pretty funny and some seriously cool stuff pops up every now and then. Not much NSX traffic though.

Hey Boca, I wonder if one could put an ad on BAT with a reserve. I don't see why not. After seeing that 1995 BMW Touring wagon cross at 17K, I would think an NSX would be a killer sale. Just thinking out loud on this one. If I did not have to commit to selling (i.e. the reserve) and the cost was $100 or less to me, I might do it just to test the market (and keep for insurance purposes).

BAT auctions often have reserves.

The auctions are fairly new to BAT - I think there was an NSX on there a few weeks back.

Back