HELP plz! I need to know the dimensions of the trunk rim opening please help

Hello Everyone,
I will be buying my first NSX next week and am flying across the country to pick up the car. So my wife and I need to take some luggage and was wondering if our suitcase will fit.

My suitcase measures 30(long)x18(wide)x10(thick)

So I was wondering what the measurements are from edge to edge in the opening rim of the trunk is?

can someone please help and take the time to measure this for me please?
The owner can't help because the car is not with him currently.

I googled this picture for reference.

Attachments

• nsx-trunk-8.3.jpg
    nsx-trunk-8.3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 128
My suitcase measures 30(long)x18(wide)x10(thick)

I just measured my trunk opening and also at the floor of the trunk.
Your suitcase will fit given the dimensions you have stated.
Don't go wider or thicker as your suitcase doesn't leave much to spare
-
Highly recommend a large/long soft-style duffel bag would be easier to manage, thats what I have used in the past. Or perhaps two medium-sized duffels that you can squish as needed into the trunk. Suppose it depends on how much stuff you really need to bring with you.
-
don't forget to cover the entire car in blue painters tape to protect on the drive :biggrin:
-
Either way, congrats on your pending purchase.
Tell us about where you are picking up the car and your route back home.
You might want to share your plans and meet some Primers along the way.
Take it easy till you really get to know her and stay away from semis
Cheers

you can just put the suitcase in the passenger seat if it doesnt fit. and fly your wife back LOL

or have the trunk open a few inches. the way the lip is shaped even if the trunk was open upto 4 inches the rain
will slide down the channels and not into the trunk. so your good

this is not a life or death situation.

or empty the suitcase of some of its contents and close the trunk. maybe a tight fit or instead of bringing the Gucci suitcase try a small or 2 small duffle bags. I have had 4X4's sticking out of the back of my NSX
and 4 rims/tires in my trunk drove it on the interstate I think I got up to 100+ MPH with the trunk open almost vertical and tires sticking out.

the car will not break down if the little red light on the dash saying your trunk is open. LOL:wink:

Last edited:
Might i recommend you also bring a nice large soft blanket. I personally would put it over your luggage in the compartment to be sure i didnt scratch or mark up the inner trunklid when it gets closed.

I wonder if he knows that the heat in the trunk can get so hot it melts icecream in minutes as the trunk is above the cats and muffler with a 1/8th inch of aluminum between them.

and any nice shirts, pants, lingerie will get heat pressed in the shape of the suitcase LOL

just sayin

Just curious....where you are...where you are picking up your NSX??

And who's NSX you are buying? If you are near some of us primers, I am sure we'd love to meet up to send you on your adventure!!! Maybe even pick you up at the airport.

Good luck!!!

-
Highly recommend a large/long soft-style duffel bag would be easier to manage, thats what I have used in the past. Or perhaps two medium-sized duffels that you can squish as needed into the trunk.

This is what I do, long soft duffel bag. Can pack for GF and I for a weekend.

There was a thread where member Hrant measured and found that a 22" & a 26" carry-on would fit nicely:
p1010023.jpg

His post is here.

Last edited:
I wonder if he knows that the heat in the trunk can get so hot it melts icecream in minutes as the trunk is above the cats and muffler with a 1/8th inch of aluminum between them...

Makes the NSX a great pizza delivery car. I always pick up take out with the NSX because the trunk keeps the food nice and warm. :biggrin:

go with duffle bags, you will need to kinda squish and mold them into the compartment to optimize capacity.

The answer to your question is 43-1/2" wide x 20-1/2" tall x 12" deep.... however, a larger bag will fit on the left (because of the "flat tire" cut out shape) and a slightly smaller bag will fit on the right.

Just transfer all your clothes into the factory fitted luggage that will come with your new car! Problem solved!

Last edited:
WOW you guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!
Thank you SO SO much guys.

to answer some of your questions too.

The car is from a nice prime member, But I didnt ask him for his user name.
I'm buying the car in Connecticut, its Black 1996 with 77k miles 2nd owner car with a clean title. My wife(hence the large suitcase hahaha) and I plan to do a a little road trip with it after while we are there. And I'm having the car shipped back to me in Cali after we're done and fly back. I wish I can drive it back but just don't want to risk it.
I do hope that the car is okay since I havent seen her in person. I do plan on taking the car to Acura and do a pre-purchase used inspection and a compression test. Is there anything else to do?

Thank you guys for taking the time to measure this for me. I really appreciate it. We were stressing about the luggage space.
Thank you guys for the reply.

Man, I didnt know that it get hot in the trunk, thanks for the tip. Better keep the wifes makeup out of there.

I really appreciate the offer for the pick up, really. But I would never ask of that burden. Although it would be awesome for to meet you folks another way.

I've been a member here since 2005 and finally getting my first NSX. I've been wanting it to long

Welcome to the community! She will be like the most comfortable jeans you've ever worn, Scotch or Canadian blended Whiskey you've ever enjoyed, or sunrise after an early morning rain you've seen...you will fall in love...seriously.

Back