Help new to NSX's and mines making noises

Cruz Bay, St. John USVI & Sopers Hole, Tortola BVI
Hello- I am new the NSX scene, I just purchased my 92 NSX about 3 months ago....it has started making a loud "clunking" noise in the back of the car whrn I drive it especially when I hit a bump or dip in the road...it started out a not so loud clunking sounded like maybe something was loose in the suspension now it is really loud!! sounds like the whole back of my car is about to fall off!!! It has been put on the lift 4 times and we can not find anything loose...has anyone ever had this problem? and please don't tell me its my LSD going bad :o( also I keep seeing people type on their cars for sale post that is is " out of snap ring range" what is this? Mine is a 92...is there something I need to know about snap rings?....thanks so much for any help... Alexandra

When does it "clunk"?
When going through a rut or pothole? (suspension related)
When applying torque (i.e. from no gas to gas) & vice versa? (possible CV joint)
Is it more of a constant rumble that varies with speed? (wheel bearing)
Does your gear lever noticeably "pop" when accelerating/decelerating, particularly in first/second (snap ring)
You can find if your car is in the snap ring range here - affected numbers are in the range J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978, but please note being in the range is not a guarantee your car is affected.

There is also a possibilty that the engine mount is loose - this is another relatively common issue that might be what you're experiencing from your description.

thanks guys i really appreciate all the advice...I love this car it sucks that it is already having issues though...also...the clunking is very loud..it happens a lot, not just when I hit a hole, we have put it on the lift and the suspension appears to be ok...you think it may be a motor mount? I can not feel the engine shifting at all though...but it literally sounds like the whole back end of the car is going to fall off! its crazy..you can here it outside the car, it makes the noise evertime I hit the gas to go after being stopped...people in cars next to me look at me like my car is going to fall apart :o(..its sad. but thanks again for the advice everyone !!

Alixp81 said:
thanks guys i really appreciate all the advice...I love this car it sucks that it is already having issues though...also...the clunking is very loud..it happens a lot, not just when I hit a hole, we have put it on the lift and the suspension appears to be ok...you think it may be a motor mount? I can not feel the engine shifting at all though...but it literally sounds like the whole back end of the car is going to fall off! its crazy..you can here it outside the car, it makes the noise evertime I hit the gas to go after being stopped...people in cars next to me look at me like my car is going to fall apart :o(..its sad. but thanks again for the advice everyone !!

sounds like a motor/transmission mount from my past experience with cars, new to nsx but learning fast

A couple of suggestions...

1. You might post about it in the Technical Discussions forum, since that's where some of our gurus like Larry Bastanza spend most of their (NSX) prime time. (No disrespect intended to other gurus like Ken/D'Ecosse.)

2. I've heard good things about the NSX experience in the service department at Leith Acura in Cary, if you're looking for a good NSX mechanic in your area.

Leith Acura in Cary does very good service work from my experience and also
Triangle Imports in Raleigh.

Congrats on your new nsx!

Back