• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help needed with Sparco seat and harness install

Hello,
I finally took the plunge and purchased an Sparco Evo seat for use during trackdays. I purchased the SOS sliding seat rail as well. I was able to put the entire seat rail together and mount it to the seat. However, I'm having a bit of an issue with getting the Simpson harness working properly with the seat. I'm new to harnesses and aftermarket seats, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Photo 1): This is a shot of the Simpson harness. It's easy to get the other 4 belts out of the camlock holder, but how do I get this last belt out of the metal slot?

Photo 2): I cannot get the metal camlock holder thing through the Sparco harness belt opening because it's too large (look closely at the purple lever that is too large to fit through). I was hoping the metal camlock could be removed so I can slide the belt through the opening then attach the camlock once the belt has passed through the small opening.

Photo 3): Am I doing something wrong here? The belt adjuster is wider than the opening and does not fit through the opening without some major finesse since the belt is so stiff. This is particularly a problem on the side of the seat closest to the center console which has very little room. I was hoping it would be easier to put in and out of the opening since I will need to remove the harnesses when driving on the street with the stock seatbelt. Are the 3" belts too wide?

Photo 4): In order to use the stock seatbelt in addition to the harness, I will need to install the stock seatbelt receptacle as pictured. However, I noticed that the one on my stock seat has wires. I'm assuming these are for the brake idiot light on dash? Do I need to keep these wires when I add it to the aftermarket Sparco seat? Does anyone know where I can buy this belt receptacle so I don't have to cut/use my stock one?

Attachments

• IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
You have 'pull down' lap belts, return them and get 'pull-up' belt. Then the adjusters will sit out side the seat holes close to where they clip onto your harness bar, you can position them so you pull the adjusters close to the tension you need, then slide the seat forward to get them full tight. That's what I did with my Sparco seats.

The belt receiver can be un-plugged from the seat, not a big deal, search around and I am pretty sure you can work the plug out of the seat leather.

Photo 1): It is not suppose to come out. You can take the back side of the cam lock apart (not reccomended) and can adjust the pin configuration to make any of the 4 be the stationary/attached pin. Just leave it alone as is.

Photo 2): You have to put the belt through the hole from the opposite side. The cam lock will not go through, so unbolt the anchoring side and put it through the opposite way.

Photo 3): The adjuster goes through the hole sideways. The belts shouldn't be very stiff. Did you get them used? What's the expiration date on them? 3" belts are not too wide and are the proper size. Just use the harnesses on the street (Big debatable topic, so i'm sure there will be plenty of responses and opinions on this).

Photo 4): I think the wires are for the seatbelt idiot light. You can probably hot-wire it to always tell the ECU that the seat belt is plugged in, but not sure if you can remove or would have to cut the wires on the receptacle or not.

It might just be best to get a new set of Sparco belts with the proper push/or/pull type lap belts and lengths for your application to be easily removed and clear your seat config.

Thanks Dave and Billy,
I bought the belts used. Not sure of the date.
I guess I'll buy a Sparco pull-up 5pt harness and call it a day. I'm pretty sure my wife would be annoyed driving the car with the 5pt harness, therefore I'd still like to keep the stock seatbelt if anyone has any advice on how to make it work.

I wish I would have known about Dave's harness bar before i bought the Comptech bar 6 months ago (just got around to installing it). I hear yours is way more user friendly.

I am using Crow harness belts, work well and reasonable price, here is a link:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

Call them up and they can make sure you get the correct style of ends. They can also sub out a 6 point sub belt for a bit more $, worth is for the comfort.

Back