Help! Just received a ticket for excess noise

Hi,
First time I drive the NSX in 3 weeks and I get a ticket for a bad muffler ;-) Actually I have the CT bypass pipes (CT hdrs; RM exhaust) on the car and the officer who puller me over said he heard me about several blocks before he even saw me (just driving normally in the city, not speeding). Does anyone know the best way to get the ticket signed off without actually having to remove the bypass pipes and re-installing the cats? Will the inspection stations know where to look or even care? If anyone in So Cal knows the best way to go about this, I'd appreciate any insight you may have.

Hi there. I do know that you can get the pipes pulled out and cats put on for $40 or less at many shops here. If you tell them you will be coming back to swap it back they may give you a deal???

Pull the pipes and re-install the cats.

You won't get noticed next time. Your neighbors will appreciate it when it's not as noisy. And you won't be creating as much air pollution.

I've got a similar setup (CT headers, RM muff) and have wondered about the noise violation too as I have gotten the evil eye from the police a few times.
Does anyone know if this setup will legally fail? What is it....50 feet behind and 85 dB max? Not sure how the police legally give you a ticket without scientific data a la dB meter.

It depends on your luck and their mood.
You think you're loud. Aint got nuthin on my old 90 Corvette with straight pipes.
I would set off every alarm in a parking lot when I pulled in.
biggrin.gif
That's LOUD!
NEVER got a ticket.

I think you were the victim of some bad luck.
frown.gif

I had the same argument about motorcycles at one point. then I realized...

Would YOU want to stop a potential Hell's Angel?
biggrin.gif

On a more serious note...
Gaymond, I think you got lucky with the cop in a way since he thought it was a bad muffler. If he looked under there and saw no CATS that would have been a really big fine, something like $700. I wanted to go with test pipes too, but am not sure because of the potential risk.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 22 October 2001).]

Like Ken said, remove the pipes and put the cats back. That way you won't have to worry about anything.

Another option would be to get the hiflo cats.

If you're going to sell your pipes let me know, I want one
biggrin.gif

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

I have the CT Muffler with test pipes and its only loud at full throttle and really, really loud at full throttle when you hit VTEC. Around town, however, its pretty quiet.

I have another car with straight pipe and I never get pulled over...hmm? You should put your car into neutral next time you pass a cop!
biggrin.gif

I agree with dswartz, my NSX is not really louder with test pipes than before with only my Remus exhaust and RM cold intake below 3000 rpm ! But when you hit VTEC at full throttle ...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Does anyone have an idea of the db rating of the rapid race exhaust?

Over 200db?! Are you serious? That is excessively loud. I guess that's why it's only supposed to be used for racing.

200 is way beyond jet engines. A jet engine at takeoff is around 140-150. Even a rocket taking off is less than 200 at the launch pad, and if you have seen a rocket launch in person you know it's pretty loud even from quite a distance away. You aren't going to find any car anywhere near 200. Remember, this is logarithmic scale!

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 24 October 2001).]

Back