Help! CTSC and TCS Light

I just picked up my car from Autowave in Huntington Beach and drove up I-405 to Northridge (about 45 miles). As soon as I got off the freeway, the TCS light came on.

If I shut off the car and restart, the TCS light goes out. If I accelerate medium to hard, it comes on. It also seems like it will come on when I turn a corner and give it a little gas.

My car is a 2002 and the CTSC is the standard install with stock ECU. No CEL - no error codes.

I did a search and could not find a similar thread. I know there are folks here who can suggest some actions. Thanks

pierceman said:
I saw your car there last week. looking good. do you mean that the light comes on a flickers then turns off, or it stays on all the time after it is tripped.
MAtt
The light comes on solid and stays on. The only way I can reset it is if I turn the car off and then restart it. But not for long as it's getting tripped very easily.

nsxtasy said:
What are your tire sizes? Ill-chosen non-stock tire sizes are the most common cause of TCS problems.
225/35-17 & 265/35-18

Before CTSC, the TCS would rarely flash on when I drove HARD, then immediately go out. After CTSC, start driving light to moderate, and the TCS comes on and stays on.

New issue -

The TCS light is coming on very easily now. It comes on during the 2nd or 3rd turn I make. It comes on and stays on. But something new happened today. I got a Check Engine Light (CEL) on my way to work this morning.

Just before it came on, I smelled a very strong gasoline odor. Immediately pulled over and visually checked everything (scared the crap outta me.) No signs of gas anywhere. I wrote if off as coming from the guy in front of me when I was at a stop light. But then the CEL light came on.

When I got home, I plugged my PDA Dyno into the OBD2 port and read a 1486 - Cooling System Malfunction. I cleared it and will wait to see if it reappears.

nsx1,

Did you ever solve this situation?
Not yet... but the CEL has not re-appeared.

After initially starting the car, the TCS light acts normally. But as soon as I start driving, the TCS light comes on (and stays on) if I just turn a little bit. I read another related post where a guy solved it by replacing an O2 sensor. I'm sure each situation can be different, but I did have CT headers installed at the some time as the supercharger... maybe something could have happed to the O2 sensor(s) when they installed the headers.

I'm going to return the car to Autowave per Shane's request.

Hope this works out for you. I have Autowave do work for me and my experience tells me they will get it right. Trust them.

Let me know how this turns out.

Are you happy with the SC? Was it worth the cost?

Kim

I think your front tires were a little too big from the beginning thats why you initially had TCS light intermintent before CTSC. Now that the rears are worn more, the ratio from front and rear tire sizes is even smaller and closer to being out of range. Which will trigger TCS more often. Try stock wheels for a while and see what happens... or just turn off TCS when you start the car and slide/drive

I think your front tires were a little too big from the beginning thats why you initially had TCS light intermintent before CTSC. Now that the rears are worn more, the ratio from front and rear tire sizes is even smaller and closer to being out of range. Which will trigger TCS more often. Try stock wheels for a while and see what happens... or just turn off TCS when you start the car and slide/drive

The diameter of my front tires (225/35-17) is 1.8% smaller than stock (215/40-17).

The diameter of my rear tires (265/35-18) is 2.7% larger than stock (255/40-17).

The front-to-rear ratio is 0.917, stock was 0.949. This indicates to me that it can not be rear tire wear as that would move the ratio closer to the stock ratio.

Before the CTSC, the TCS light behaved the same with my current tire/wheel setup as it did with the stock setup. It would momentarily flash on (<1 sec.) only when I did something aggressive. It would always immediately extinguish.

if it were my car, the first thing i would rule out is the tires / wheels. I agree with the above suggestion to simply see if the condition changes with stock tires and wheels. this would at least let you know 100% for sure to look at either the s/c installation or the car.

I have a ctsc with the exact same hp and tq (both within 10) of yours and i have used both stock and 17 / 18 volks (pics in volk thread in tires / wheels forums) and have never had any tcs issues. The light does go on briefly (less then a second) under severe acceleration, but nothing like what you are describing.

thanks and hope you get to the bottom of this quickly.

I put my stock wheels and tires back on and the problem with the TCS light still exists. Comes on and stays on as soon as I make a couple of turns... sometimes the first turn, sometimes the second turn, sometimes the third turn. Looks like I need to get it back to Autowave.

Besides that issue, the car is unreal... absolutely awesome. It's so quick, I don't even floor it anymore. :biggrin:

BIG CONGRATULATIONS and THANKS to AUTOWAVE for fixing my TCS light problem.

Several days ago, I dropped the NSX off at Autowave so Shane, Mark, and the rest of the Autowave crew could fix the TSC light issue that appeared after the CTSC installation.

I just received a call from Shane that the problem is solved and fixed.

I am VERY PLEASED to hear this because these types of problems can be incredibly difficult to resolve. (Some of you out there know what I'm talking about.)

Apparently, there were two problems:
1) The right-front wheel speed sensor was setting an error code, and upon inspection, appeared to be damaged. (This could have happened during the installation of the front NSX-R swaybar.) That fixed the error code but the TCS light was still coming on and staying lit.
2) After driving the car and trying different things, they tried turning the steering wheel back and forth and noticed the light coming on. After numerous ohms measurements while trying different steering wheel positions and checking steering column connector contacts, they noticed one contact that was not making a good connection. They repaired the contact and the TCS light problem was solved.

For assurance, they kept the car a couple more days just to make sure the TCS light problem was gone.

Shane thinks the steering column contact could have been that way from the factory and why it showed up when the CTSC was installed is a mystery.

Thanks to Autowave for fixing this problem.

Steve

sounds like it had nothing to do with the CTSC honestly.

Back