help can't decide what to do!! do i fit my rims or not??

Right a little history...

I have a set of Blitz Type 03 rims. I bought them for my 300zx brand new and never got to fit them.

This is the spec:

Front 18x8 28 235/40/18
Rear 18.10 22 295/35/18

My car is a NA1. I was advised to stick with a 17/18 setup and to go lighter than stock. Stock rims are so damn light i can't find many lighter, i have my eyes on a couple of sets. However stock rims make my Blitz look heavy however for a 3 piece rim are pretty light.

This is my problem, i don't want to mess up the peformance and handling by fitting heavier rims. Would the above sizes and weight of rims make that much difference??

I've not even trialed fitted.

This is what they could look like fitted.

My car is Charlotte Green.

Am i worrying about weight and size too much. I get what the NSX is about, the reason why it is fast as it is is for several reasons not purely down to power like most cars, i can beat and keep up with cars with more power and actually a RX7 with 70 bhp up on me however i'm worried fitting these rims goes against all that. That's why i wanted lighter so badly but is it all in my mind will it make much difference?

4132nsx_wth_Blitz_Type_03s.jpg

Dcp01077.jpg

PC262967.JPG

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

help....... :D

how much weight does it really make a true difference in performance? not much. go with what ever rim you like. you can always cut that extra weight from soemwhere else like to remove the cd changer 5lbs, power antenna 3lbs, spare tire 50lbs, engine cover 30lbs, trunk and engine glass struts 10lbs. etc. and remember its your car not the other guys.

Right a little history...

I have a set of Blitz Type 03 rims. I bought them for my 300zx brand new and never got to fit them.

This is the spec:

Front 18x8 28 235/40/18
Rear 18.10 22 295/35/18

If the 28 and 22 is the offset, there is no way in hell they are going to even fit on the NSX as they would be sticking out way past the fender - problem solved.

If the 28 and 22 is the offset, there is no way in hell they are going to even fit on the NSX as they would be sticking out way past the fender - problem solved.

+1 NSX offsets don't fit many other cars.

Regarding the wheel weights, yes it makes a big difference. I had OEMs and Volk GT-Cs 17/18 which are pretty heavy cast wheel and it was really noticable that the OEMs were much lighter. The car responded much better. Read up on unsprung weight.

Stay with a staggered set, that's what the car was designed for. If you don't you could/probably will have TCS problems. Even with a staggered set if the tire sizes aren't correct you can still have TCS problems. If you go with a 17/18 set stick close to 265/35/18 and 215/40/17 tire sizes. And as mentioned - offset is real important. Happy Motoring!

Stay with a staggered set, that's what the car was designed for. If you don't you could/probably will have TCS problems. Even with a staggered set if the tire sizes aren't correct you can still have TCS problems. If you go with a 17/18 set stick close to 265/35/18 and 215/40/17 tire sizes. And as mentioned - offset is real important. Happy Motoring!

Beg to differ - 2002+ run 17/17

His tire size isn't an issue or even 18/18s - it's the offset won't work.

Those offsets are critical and you will never be able to run those tires, but if you lower the car and use narrower tires, the wheels will fit. For street driving you are good to go if you run 210 tires up front and 245 rear.

Compared to my car (Check the "hellaflush" thread in the gallery), your rear wheels will extend 3mm more and front wheels 4mm. My only problem is rubbing on the front INSIDE - yours wont.

If you want to be really safe you could have someone shave a few mm's of your wheel centres to increase the offset. You still have to run narrow tires though.

Just throw on the heaviest, bling wheels and hit the Blvd. :wink:

Beg to differ - 2002+ run 17/17

His tire size isn't an issue or even 18/18s - it's the offset won't work.

He's trying to decide what to do. His car is a NA1 = staggered. Tire sizes do matter to the TCS system on these cars. There has been more than 1 post here that addressed that issue. As I said, "offset matters." Happy Motoring!

As noted above, there's no way those sizes will fit.

Wheel weight doesn't make a huge difference in performance. However, tires make a huge difference in performance. You'll get much better performance with 17"/18" or smaller wheels than you will with 18"/19" wheels. Why? Because the stickiest tires aren't available in 18"/19" sizes for the NSX, but you can get them in 17"/18" or smaller sizes.

Thanks for all the info guys, i will carry on with selling them then.

They are listed on several UK sites for sale as that's where i am from.

Going to list on ebay today or tomorrow, really hate ebay though lol.

how much weight does it really make a true difference in performance? not much. go with what ever rim you like. you can always cut that extra weight from soemwhere else like to remove the cd changer 5lbs, power antenna 3lbs, spare tire 50lbs, engine cover 30lbs, trunk and engine glass struts 10lbs. etc. and remember its your car not the other guys.

It's not apples to apples, pound for pound unsprung weight, particularily any rotating mass has a bigger affect on handling than sprung weight.

That said unless the OP is tracking their car, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Back