Help a soon-to-be NSX owner

Good evening all. My name is Joseph and I am new to the forum. I have been a BMW enthsusiast for years and spent my first experience in an NSX just a few weeks ago. I couldnt believe how fun and easy to drive the vehicle was. I wont bore you with things you already know, the bottom line, is I am now looking to purchase one. I currently drive a 2004 BMW M3 Coupe and a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350 daily. Ive had 3 M3s, and am not hip to the new design. It acts as my toy and is driven on fun days. I plan to replace this with an NSX. Ive driven a 1992 NSX and a 2003. Here are my questions:

1. What is the optimal year for the NSX? Which should i stay away from? I know newer is better, but I want to spend less than 40k.
2. Is there a conversion kit available for the front headlights? When did Acura start not using the flip lights?
3. When was the T roof started? I think its 94 but not sure.

I found a very low mileage 94 (19k). I would be fine with an older model, unless y'all tell me otherwise. I prefer something stock, I would only want to add Xenon headlamps to the front, the flip lights look dated and I am used to Xenon headlamps - is this possible?

Ive also noticed that you can really put some miles on these cars - would a perfectly maintained 65k-90k vehicle be better than a sub 30k mile one?

Any other advice would be appreciated. I live in Florida - what is the best place to find one? Autotrader? Anyone selling theirs in FL?

Sorry for all of the questions, I appreciate your help and looking forward to my new NSX!

welcome, you might want to check out the FAQ section: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm

in short, your best bet are 97 and up, most of them are T-top, coupe is rare.
with 97 and up, you get more hp 295, 6 speed and 3.2 engine.

2002 and up have the new head light design, but you can retrofit the old head light to the new one. (the mod is expensive since you have to use new front bumper)

the 91-94 models are all coupe version where as the t-top available from 95-up.

the hp for all 91-96 are 270, they are 5 speed with 3.0 engine and the power steering assist feature starts from 95 and up.

good luck with your search, i am pretty sure you will like it :smile:

-nat

carmar said:
welcome, you might want to check out the FAQ section: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm

in short, your best bet are 97 and up, most of them are T-top, coupe is rare.
with 97 and up, you get more hp 295, 6 speed and 3.2 engine.

2002 and up have the new head light design, but you can retrofit the old head light to the new one. (the mod is expensive since you have to use new front bumper)

the 91-94 models are all coupe version where as the t-top available from 95-up.

the hp for all 91-96 are 270, they are 5 speed with 3.0 engine and the power steering assist feature starts from 95 and up.

good luck with your search, i am pretty sure you will like it :smile:

-nat

'97+ have 290 hp.

'91+ automatics were equipped with EPS.

very helpful, I appreciate it. Anyone else have imput, my ears are open!

For reasons already stated i would suggest '97-'01 as the model-year range, HOWEVER... The headlight mod you seem so keen on is VERY expensive, so much so that I would consider getting an '02 instead.

Best of luck to you...

Skylark

Skylark said:
For reasons already stated i would suggest '97-'01 as the model-year range, HOWEVER... The headlight mod you seem so keen on is VERY expensive, so much so that I would consider getting an '02 instead.

Best of luck to you...

Skylark

Oh course, that is ignoring the OTHER reasons for buying a real 02+ :rolleyes:
If you want the best, go 02+. Simple. Done. No question. If you want to skimp than go with an older one like the 'Lark here suggests. :rolleyes:

Ski_Banker said:
Oh course, that is ignoring the OTHER reasons for buying a real 02+ :rolleyes:
If you want the best, go 02+. Simple. Done. No question. If you want to skimp than go with an older one like the 'Lark here suggests. :rolleyes:

Skimp...Hummm.

OK, So I have a 91 coupe.

Manual steering, ie: fantastic road feel.
Coup,: ie:upper body strength, frame/body torsion stiffness.
flip up headlights:Personal preference, but a poll would suggest otherwise.

Skimped? Looky here and tell me I "Skimped.":biggrin:

6429my_nsx.jpg

Last edited:
skyguy said:
Skimp...Hummm.

Skip? Looky here and tell me I "Skimped.":biggrin:

6429my_nsx.jpg

Skimped:biggrin:

If you like the 02, it's best to stick with it because your not messing with the car. To me, It's alot easier on the long run because their will be no waiting for a shop to do the conversion and you'll be anxious as heck waiting for the car to be done. On top of things, you also have to do research and make sure you've the choosen the right person to do the conversion. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you'll be a new owner to a NSX.

thanks guys for all of your input. Ill have to check the market for an 02+ may be more than what I want to spend for a toy, I just may have to live with the flip lights! but man does the 02+ look great. Im not too concerned about the 20 HP diff, to be honest, I really enjoyed just cruising around with the targa off late at ngiht and having a good ole time by myself. I was so surpised how similar the 91 interior is to the 05. I also like the lights because the xenon visibility is 110% better. I mainly drive alone at night, on back roads and just enjoy myself so the lights are important. So Im thinking, for a nice 02, Im looking at a $50k+ car I would think? The 04 I spent time in (that i DIDNT want to give back) had 9k miles on her and was about 70k. Do any of these have navigation? I havent seen anyone mention it yet.

skyguy said:

Sorry ,but huh? Don't know what that means. I get the WTF ,but don't know what the O is for.

JJCTHE1 said:
thanks guys for all of your input. Ill have to check the market for an 02+ may be more than what I want to spend for a toy, I just may have to live with the flip lights! but man does the 02+ look great. Im not too concerned about the 20 HP diff, to be honest, I really enjoyed just cruising around with the targa off late at ngiht and having a good ole time by myself. I was so surpised how similar the 91 interior is to the 05. I also like the lights because the xenon visibility is 110% better. I mainly drive alone at night, on back roads and just enjoy myself so the lights are important. So Im thinking, for a nice 02, Im looking at a $50k+ car I would think? The 04 I spent time in (that i DIDNT want to give back) had 9k miles on her and was about 70k. Do any of these have navigation? I havent seen anyone mention it yet.

A clean 02+ is worth searching for.

JJCTHE1 said:

Funny thing is, in general, I think most of the owners around here of pre-02 cars MUCH prefer the flip up headlights to the exposed ones. :biggrin: I had a '98 fo awhile and *I* happen to like the new look MUCH better.

Your basic "milestones" have been proffered already but they are, '95 saw the Targa come along, '97 saw the power (among other) improvements, and '02 saw some fairly mild re-design, the headlights being the most obvious (and best IMO).

I've been looking for an '02+ for the last 6 weeks. Unfortunately for me I'm "stuck" (I think) on Imola Orange as the color and they are very hard to find) In general, an '02 with reasonable mileage is around 55-59 or so. There's about a $5K gap or so in years '02-'05. Not sure about 97-01 though but it sounds like you might get one of those for around 40. I think once you get older than '98 or so it's ALL about condition, NOT how old the car is......

Good luck. Either way, you'll love the car. :wink:

he said he's lookin to spend 40ish.

you can buy an older one and convert the front end to the new style for about 5g. it's not too bad, since you get a new bumper, the headlight conversion w/xenon lighting, and a new hood to accomodate the different shape of he headlights.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior%5Fperformance%5Fproducts/NSX/2002%5Fconversion/

major differences:
1991-1994 = 3.0L 270hp, 5sp, qm in high 13s
1995-1996 = same + targa (heavier, less stiff) + little additions
1997-2001 = 3.2L 290hp, 6sp, qm in low 13s with targa, power steering
2002+ = new front end and other small changes

you can kinda see the car hasn't changed much since the beginning. there is nothing you should "stay away from" with the nsx, but there is a certain vin range of 1991 and 92's that have a problem with the snap ring (do a search and you'll find plenty of info).

all the cars suffer from a crappy blose sound system.... the transistors in the amplifiers go bad over time, requiring replacement, but briank on prime can do it for cheap.

there are minor problems common to all of the models - window regulator components that aren't quite durable enough and inner door handles that could break where they hold the latch cable, both of which can be prevented easily with upgraded parts (parts also on scienceofspeed.com)

you can typically get a decent 91 with relatively low miles for as low as 26, with good 97s in the low 40s.

skyguy said:
Skimp...Hummm.

Skimped? Looky here and tell me I "Skimped.":biggrin:

Ok, agreed. "Skimped" is a poor choice of words, since there is a very substantial price difference between 91 and 02. But, if it costs $10k all in for the 02 makeover, on a perfect 91 for $30k = $40k for a 15 y/o vehicle vs. $55-60k for an 02, not including any improvements since then.

Maybe get a 97 so it is newer, updated, and then do the 02 conversion sometime in the future when he has some extra funds.

Yours looks great, BTW. :wink:

Back