HELOCs Frozen!

Write a check while you still can if you have been thinking about it!

http://caveatemptorblog.com/2008/04/07/citibank-freezes-home-equity-lines-of-credit-nationwide/

Wachovia, others, cutting unused home equity lines of credit

5:04 p.m. 04/14/2008 By Alistair Barr

Provided by

Other banks pull similar credit lines; more homeowner defaults may follow

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Wachovia Corp. said on Monday that it's limiting homeowners' ability to tap home equity lines of credit that they haven't used yet as the giant bank tries to cut its exposure to the broadening housing crisis.

Other mortgage lenders, including Washington Mutual (WM), Countrywide Financial (CFC) and Indymac Bancorp (IMB), have also been cutting home equity lines aggressively, Fred Cannon, an analyst at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, wrote in a note to investors on Monday.

Bank of America (BAC), Suntrust Banks (STI) and some other smaller lenders are also starting to cut these credit lines, Cannon added.

Banks are taking such action to reduce potential losses from the housing bust. But Cannon said that if enough lenders pull home equity lines of credit, it could make industry losses even worse.

"Lenders have presented the reductions in home equity lines of credit as a prudent response to the rising home equity credit costs, declining home prices, and the risks of rising home equity exposure from the drawdown of lines of credit," Cannon wrote.

"While for an individual lender, such actions appear prudent, the consumer response to the reduction of lines can create additional problems for the home equity lenders and for the economy as a whole," he added. "Cutting unused lines will add to, rather than subtract from, credit costs on home equity portfolios."

Wachovia (WB), which reported worse-than-expected quarterly results on Monday, said in a presentation to investors that it's "implementing additional limitations on utilization of undrawn equity lines."

The bank has more than $60 billion of home equity loans and lines of credit. Almost 1.4% of those are at least 30 days delinquent, Wachovia reported on Monday. That's up from 0.78% a year earlier.

$1 trillion for a rainy day

Home equity lines of credit let homeowners borrow extra money, up to a pre-arranged limit. The loans, which can be tapped when needed, are backed by people's homes, so the interest rate on this type of financing is lower than other unsecured sources such as credit cards.

During the housing boom earlier this decade, U.S. consumers borrowed against the value of their homes in record numbers. Home equity withdrawals grew at an annual rate of $300 billion to $400 billion. There's now roughly $2.2 trillion of home equity lines, which represents about 20% of all outstanding first mortgage debt, KBW estimated.

About $1 trillion of these home equity lines of credit haven't been used yet, Cannon noted. If a lot of that extra available cash is withdrawn by lenders, the economy could take another hit, the analyst explained.

"The importance of home equity lines as a source of household liquidity is a recent phenomenon and one which can have an outsized impact in the current economic cycle," Cannon wrote.

Home equity lines of credit were traditionally used for major home improvements and other big-ticket items. But as the housing market boomed and U.S. consumers saved less, these products evolved into cash-management and liquidity tools, Cannon explained in an interview.

"A lot of Americans don't have much savings but they have these home equity lines," he said. "These may have been used instead of a rainy day fund."

More consumer defaults

But now, throughout the U.S. , homeowners who may have borrowed $10,000 or $20,000 on a $100,000 or $200,000 home equity line of credit are being told by their banks that their lines have been cut to $15,000 or $25,000, Cannon explained.

Some of these homeowners may be relying on these lines of credit to cover expenses when regular sources of income decline. If this access to extra borrowing is pulled, people may default, or have to turn to more expensive financing like credit cards, Cannon said.

Other homeowners who haven't had their lines of credit cut yet may borrow the maximum amount quickly before it disappears, he added.

"It is likely that many of the most vulnerable borrowers are likely to take this action, potentially creating 'bad growth' in home equity portfolios," Cannon wrote.

WaMu question

Washington Mutual is the most exposed to home equity lines of credit. The company had almost $50 billion of such loans outstanding at the end of 2007, plus another $59 billion that hadn't been used yet by customers, KBW said, citing regulatory data and SNL Financial.

That represented more than 800% of WaMu's tangible common equity and was probably one of the reasons the lender had to raise $7 billion in new capital from private-equity firms last week, Cannon said.

WaMu reports quarterly results on Tuesday and the KBW analyst said he plans to ask the lender how much it's been reducing undrawn home equity lines of credit.

Other lenders exposed

National City, Bank of America and Wells Fargo are also among the most exposed to these problems, KBW said on Monday.

National City (NCC) had more than $36 billion of drawn and untapped home equity lines of credit at the end of last year, representing almost 480% of its tangible common equity, KBW data show.

Bank of America had more than $95 billion of outstanding and $120 billion of undrawn home equity lines of credit at the end of 2007, or 362% of the bank's tangible common equity, KBW reported.

Wells Fargo (WFC) had over $100 billion of undrawn and outstanding home equity lines of credit, or 369% of tangible common equity.

Wachovia had less than $27 billion of outstanding home equity lines of credit at the end of 2007, but a lot more potential exposure through almost $69 billion of undrawn lines, KBW data show. In total that represented 325% of its tangible common equity.

Capital requirements

Because banks can pull undrawn home equity lines of credit relatively easily, regulators don't require lenders to set aside much capital to back such exposures, Cannon said on Monday.

"So it's interesting to see them being so active in reducing these lines," he added. "It could be driven by concerns about their own liquidity or future credit losses or regulatory pressure that has to do with safety or soundness."

Last edited:
I have been warning people about this for a month. Just had a client who had his capped. He found out after the check bounced he wrote his son who is 1/2 way through college.

I know of several people who have had them capped. What scares me even more is I know a lot of people are probably going to max those HELOC's out and after they spend the money, up goes the interest rate. That is probably the next round of disaster after sub-prime is purged out.

Yeah, we got a letter from WAMU over a month ago...our 250k line of credit got reduced to 60k....same reason...our "house lost value".
(which is BS)

No proof, no nothing...basically them telling me that they're $hitting bricks right now.

Oh well...not like I was going to use it anyhow.

Indymac froze ours a couple months ago. No big deal for us since we only used it to buy my NSX and then never touched it again.

This is going to wreak havoc on people's credit scores through no fault of their own. Sad.

I wonder if the geniuses at Fair Isaac have figured out a way to remedy this.

I just got in my home and the bank itself did the appraisal on it for the first mortgage. I wonder if I can open a HELOC on my dp or if in one month they are going to re-appraise it for less. Ha.

gotta say that i when i think of heloc's, i'm glad we established ours but don't have (what we consider to be) a valid reason to use it. i did happen to open a letter from our mortgage holder (wm) the other day and noticed the amount... but since we haven't had need for it, i don't have a clue if the # is up or down.

it was a bitter pill for me to swallow, but years ago i learned and applied the lesson: don't spend it if you don't have it.

Mine has been open 2 years with $0 balance. Its just for a rainy day fund.

We are not talking about the rates going up/down, however, but rather the account being closed.

Claims that the credit card bubble is as bad as the others and the next to blow-up,...

tbrnews.org has a Washington insider that writes for them under...

The Voice of the White House
http://tbrnews.org/

110% the credit card bubble is a real issue!!!

Overall - in the US (not as much in Canada and EU) lenders have been scrambling to lend $$$ and since more and more money was being created in "the long boom" (which in my mind has been high inflation hidden by lowering costs of consumer goods from China combined with pushing manufacturing to accept lower margins just to stay alive)

Suddenly there was tons of liquidity caused by the "invisible" inflation - and it got lent out to people at alarming rates - leverage principals were thrown out the window and voila! Any loans made recently are what I would call "Imprudent"

Its all coming back since the real inflation was following the invisible one - just a bit behind.

All lending in the US will contract - it HAS to - its what ALWAYS happens. Sadly, good lending helps grow the economy and its gonan get pruned back along with the dead wood - thats just how it works.

The problem the banks have is that they have to go through legal bankruptcy proceedings in court in order to separate the mortgage from the credit card and other debt, and in hard hit places, the courts are backed up for over half-a-year.

My sources say that this whole mess is nothing but a two year long controlled meltdown.

It's too bad that banks and govnmt are having a knee-jerk reaction that makes things just worse...

Anyone know if Wells Fargo may follow suit?

I would never do this, if you cant buy it cash and pay it off dont buy it. Lots of people with BMW's and huge houses with $20 in the bank.

Better to have as much in the bank as possible so the person can buy a really nice coffin. :smile:

I maxed my HELOC and deposited it in the bank so I can have it on hand to grab the really good deals when they appear. If they don't appear then I will pay the money back but I sure don't want to not have access to the money if a really good deal comes along and my HELOC is shut off and my other funds are tied up at the same time.

Back