helmet radios for instructors

I am getting my instructors certification this May. There will be a DE event immediately following it that I may instruct at. In the past my instructors have had helmet to helmet radios/hearing and speech units so that we could talk over the noise while driving. Does anyone know where these can be purchased? I wouldn't mind having one if I am going to be instructing. I don't want to chance it that I can hear and be heard in the car while on the track with a novice driver.

The motorcycle settup made by Chatterbox is a good unit.Check any good motorcycle shop or some of the national vendors like longacre.

Re: Chatterbox

But make sure you tell all of the students how to take them out - ie pull the unit out by reaching in NOT BY THE WIRE!!!

Exactly. Better yet, since we know this will happen, try to zip tie it near the neck and if you can, put a dab of glue where the flexible wire goes to the ear piece. Even then, if it lasts more than a season, count your blessings ;-)

The motorcycle settup made by Chatterbox is a good unit.
I agree.

You need to buy three items. One is the electronics box, called the HJC-50. If you like, it comes with hardware so you can attach it to the side of your helmet, like this:

VNNEDLMQEP57BOK.JPG

You will need to buy a "student headset", the kind that your student can insert into his helmet and remove after each session:

CB50OFHSST.jpg

For yourself, you will need either a "student headset" or an "instructor headset". The instructor headset installs semi-permanently into your helmet using adhesive-backed velcro, and the wires get tucked into the lining of your helmet. The advantage of doing this is that you never have to worry about putting in your headset; it's always there, every time you use your helmet, no extra steps needed (just like installing the electronics box on the side of the helmet). As long as you use the same helmet all the time, this is a huge convenience.

There are two versions of the instructor headset, one for full-face helmets:

CB50FFHS.jpg

and the other for open-face helmets:

CB50OFHS.jpg

Some places that sell these items include:

Value Accessories:
HJC-50 $58
Student headset (not shown on website)
Instructor headset, full-face $24
Instructor headset, open-face $28

Stable Energies:
HJC-50 $67.46
Student headset $31.49
Instructor headset, full-face $26.99
Instructor headset, open-face $31.49

HMS Motorsport:
HJC-50 $68.75
Student headset $31.55
Instructor headset, full-face $27
Instructor headset, open-face (not shown on website)

J C Whitney, motorcycle parts has a selection. They really do help with instruction. Now the students know that I'm yelling at them and not just getting over the noise.:wink:

One other note. There's another brand, Nady, that makes a similar system, the PMC-2 and PMC-2X (pictured below). I do not recommend the Nady system; I have found from experience that both the electronics unit and the headsets will fail very, very quickly. Stick with the Chatterbox rather than the Nady. (I am not familiar with any other brands of intercom systems.)

PMC2X_i.jpg

has anyone had experience with the chatterbox units for helmet to helmet (not side to side) communication? specifically the HJC model. i was thinking of using this unit for in car to pit radios and the price seems pretty fair.

any input would be much appreciated.

yes i did read the replies already listed in the thread. i was addressing wireless communication for pit to car radios vs in car wired communication for passanger and driver. specifically, i was inquiring about the HJC-FRS Multipsort Stereo Communication Kit. We're probalby going to purchase this kit anyway, but i just wanted some constructive feedback if the product had the same reputation as the wired in car version.

shiann.

i was addressing wireless communication for pit to car radios vs in car wired communication for passanger and driver. specifically, i was inquiring about the HJC-FRS Multipsort Stereo Communication Kit. We're probalby going to purchase this kit anyway, but i just wanted some constructive feedback if the product had the same reputation as the wired in car version.
Aha! Thanks for the clarification. Since your previous post mentioned "the HJC model", I thought you were referring to the HJC-50 (the wired communication system).

Back