Hello! New Member

Just a friendly hello to all. I admit I've been lurking for a week here learning the ins and outs of NSX ownership.....and about ready to take the plunge now that I've found one.

It's a 92 with about 40k miles on it. Taking it to the dealer for a pre-purchase inspection. Test drove the car and found just two things that might be of concern:
1) Ticking sound from engine like loud tappet sounds - hope it's only valve spacing that needs adjustment

2) Transmission whine was louder than what I think should be normal - it sounded like it had straight cut gears but shifting felt just like stock-type gear

At what mileage do most people do an engine rebuild or overhaul? At very slow cruise speed of 20kph (I was caught in a jam during test drive) the engine sounded more like a 20-year old car. I was expecting a more modern refined sound like I remember sitting in my friends NSX about 10 years ago. However, the glorious vtec sound was alive and kicking when I finally floored it when the road cleared.

What's normal cost for engine rebuild and transmission rebuild?

Hoping to be able to be an owner soon!

Welcome. I'm pretty new to this web-site myself, but it has really added to my NSX experience. It is the ultimate resource for anthing NSX related. This web-site goes hand in hand with NSX ownership. It's kinda like TiVo and TV -- they just go together. You should feel fortunate that you will have the benefits of NSXPrime from the beginning of ownership. I went years before I got turned on to Prime. For the most part the members are great, always willing to share knowledge, information, and experience.

I don't have solid answers to your questions, but if you give it a little time, the NSXperts will chime in and give you all the information you could ever want.

pzull said:
Just a friendly hello to all. I admit I've been lurking for a week here learning the ins and outs of NSX ownership.....and about ready to take the plunge now that I've found one.

It's a 92 with about 40k miles on it. Taking it to the dealer for a pre-purchase inspection. Test drove the car and found just two things that might be of concern:
1) Ticking sound from engine like loud tappet sounds - hope it's only valve spacing that needs adjustment

Not an uncommon concern a valve clearance adjustment may or may not fix and I would not be too concerned.

pzull said:
2) Transmission whine was louder than what I think should be normal - it sounded like it had straight cut gears but shifting felt just like stock-type gear

At what mileage do most people do an engine rebuild or overhaul?

With proper maintenance 200k - 300k would be a normal life expectency of the motor.

pzull said:
At very slow cruise speed of 20kph (I was caught in a jam during test drive) the engine sounded more like a 20-year old car. I was expecting a more modern refined sound like I remember sitting in my friends NSX about 10 years ago. However, the glorious vtec sound was alive and kicking when I finally floored it when the road cleared.

What's normal cost for engine rebuild and transmission rebuild?

Hoping to be able to be an owner soon!

About 4k to 5k for a motor rebuild and about 2k for the trans.

Back