Hello! introduction/questions...!

Hello Prime,

I've been a member here for a while now and never introduced myself. I graduated from design school and will be working for Motorola in Chicago. I'm working for Moto right now and will get hired full time in January.

The NSX is my dream car and I've wanted one for a long time. While on Prime I've been researching and trying to immerse myself in the NSX culture to hopefully make my future purchase successful. I've been looking at NSX's in the $30,000 to $40,000 range. If I purchase an NSX in this price range, it will most likely be an early / mid 90's. Now this brings up some questions that I've had on my mind:

If I buy an NSX here, it might be my only car. How many of you drive your NSX as your primary vehicle? I have this Q because I currently drive a 1992 Accord EX coupe. More frequent maintenance will always come with buying an older car. Would this be the same case with an older NSX, considering the fact that it might be my primary means of transportation.

I can see both sides to the question:
1. It's a great car that that will last a long time even driven daily if taken care of.
OR
2. Because it's an older/rare car, it would probably be smart to have transportation options. (like keeping my accord)
I have these thoughts because it would be a huge purchase for me. I bought my Accord for $3,500, so I really want to make sure my decision to buy an NSX is thorough
Honestly, I've never gotten the chance to ride in an NSX. I have wanted this car for so long and never actually rode in one, lol.
Despite my want/need for an NSX, I keep thinking I'll have to deal with some of the maintenance issues (like I've had with the accord) because it'll be an old car. I really need to ride in one so my doubts will go away :biggrin: (similar to being afraid of motorcycles because of the danger factor...but the second you ride one, all your inhibitions disappear!)

Last edited:
I've been looking at many different cars for future purchase. Ofcourse the NSX is #1 on the list. Here are some others that I'm interested in and was wondering if anyone has experience with them, or how they compare to the NSX?

For the NSX owner, it might be the difference between night and day, but I have no experience with these cars.

nismo0.jpg

2007_Subaru%20spec.C.JPG

Last edited:
It is a Honda. I wouldn't have any qualms about using it as a daily driver as long as you keep up on the maintenance. Having said that, I do have another daily driver.

I looked at the same cars but added a corvette z06, Mitsu EVO and 2010 Camaro to the mix. The EVO was the first one I crossed off due to reliability issues. The Camaro and z06 were next with GM's future up in the air. That left the Nissan Z, the WRX and the NSX. When I compared those 3 the NSX won me over with its ageless styling and hand built exclusiveness.

I've been researching now for a while also like you and have a Honda/mechanic background. I'm still in college and have no where near the means to purchase an NSX but am just researching early. As far as the accord goes man i would definitely keep it to have two modes of transportation if one goes down. Just spend some coin to keep the accord in good shape mechanically and you will thank yourself some point down the road. On top of that it can't be to costly to insure and run a 1992 accord. For the Insight on the Nissan 370Z i have driven a 6 speed manual with a sport package and i have to say its quite imppressive. It's pretty quick in a straight line and handles like it's on rails, seriously it pulls .99 G on the skidpad. It's been documented the 370Z runs a 13.3 quarter so not to much of a difference in straight line speed when comparing an NSX. Although the NSX is a much different experience and im sure many big wigs here will tell you it's much better to drive and im sure they're right. But also the 370Z is 30,000 base price, Brand new, and comes with a warranty so you need to decide what you want. Good luck man.

I've been researching now for a while also like you and have a Honda/mechanic background. I'm still in college and have no where near the means to purchase an NSX but am just researching early. As far as the accord goes man i would definitely keep it to have two modes of transportation if one goes down. Just spend some coin to keep the accord in good shape mechanically and you will thank yourself some point down the road. On top of that it can't be to costly to insure and run a 1992 accord. For the Insight on the Nissan 370Z i have driven a 6 speed manual with a sport package and i have to say its quite imppressive. It's pretty quick in a straight line and handles like it's on rails, seriously it pulls .99 G on the skidpad. It's been documented the 370Z runs a 13.3 quarter so not to much of a difference in straight line speed when comparing an NSX. Although the NSX is a much different experience and im sure many big wigs here will tell you it's much better to drive and im sure they're right. But also the 370Z is 30,000 base price, Brand new, and comes with a warranty so you need to decide what you want. Good luck man.

Yeah that's the thing. I really like the Nismo 350z, but not as much as the NSX. I liked the idea of the Z being brand new / warrenty and such. I've just wanted an NSX soo bad for soo long, I'm not sure I could buy anything else :biggrin:

If the NSX is your dream car for the longest time than do not buy anything else but the nsx, you will not be satisfied if you got a different car and will always wonder why i did't buy NSX. The style and exclusively of owning an NSX, the rarity of the car and its your dream car, I say buy an NSX over the rest. Everybody and their brother have a Z or a porsch, How many NSX do you see in a Year on the road?

Anesthesia

If I buy an NSX here, it might be my only car. How many of you drive your NSX as your primary vehicle? I have this Q because I currently drive a 1992 Accord EX coupe. More frequent maintenance will always come with buying an older car. Would this be the same case with an older NSX, considering the fact that it might be my primary means of transportation.

Come on, seriously? This is one of what, 25,781 threads on the topic of daily driver? PLEASE do a search and see what all the others have said.

Oh, and welcome :biggrin:

Come on, seriously? This is one of what, 25,781 threads on the topic of daily driver? PLEASE do a search and see what all the others have said.

Oh, and welcome :biggrin:

Ok, ha, I know there are topics about daily driving the NSX. I have read many threads about how it's a very comfortable and easy car to drive daily. I know it's possible to drive it daily, I just had thoughts about driving an older car daily, knowing that maintenance can be an issue. So I was just unsure if I should buy a "new" car before the older NSX...I guess not.

I'll definitely get the NSX now...what was I thinking :biggrin:

Do it!

Keep the accord, drive from Monday to Thursday, get a 3.2 model (97+) with low miles and perfect history and call it the day, same as you, I am designer and do quiet well (been doing this for 12 years). but I have also a mortgage, kid etc, still manage to keep my car 100% etc etc ... just do it, you will NEVER regret!

But again, keep the accord for the DD, is less of a headache (highway retards + parking on a garage, sun, under a tree, what happens if it rains etc etc) and knowing you have an NSX waiting for you for fridays and weekends is the best feeling!

Oscar

Re: Do it!

Keep the accord, drive from Monday to Thursday, get a 3.2 model (97+) with low miles and perfect history and call it the day, same as you, I am designer and do quiet well (been doing this for 12 years). but I have also a mortgage, kid etc, still manage to keep my car 100% etc etc ... just do it, you will NEVER regret!

But again, keep the accord for the DD, is less of a headache (highway retards + parking on a garage, sun, under a tree, what happens if it rains etc etc) and knowing you have an NSX waiting for you for fridays and weekends is the best feeling!

Oscar

Yeah, that's what I was looking for...thanks :smile:

just buy the nsx. I too have always wanted this car and hopefully will know by this comming week what is to be done with my soon to be lemon car. If i can give any advice, it is dont buy a car brand new. NEVER buy new. i bought the z brand new in 06 for 32000 and it is now worth 18 or so. the nsx is better looking and better performance. I was fortunate enough to drive one today, my first one ever to drive. It pulls in every gear and when you hit the high rpm, you wont regret it. Trust me, from a person that has a z and has now had the privliage to sit in/ drive a nsx, the feeling is night and day. Aside the fact that every one and their mom is looking at you thinking what is that car, its fast and fun and handles like a super car. I could probably write a huge paper on what makes this car worth every penny if i wanted to. go drive in one and you too will see. I have owned a fd rx7 and now my z. The z is ehhh, the rx7 was fast but not reliable. The nsx is fast, fun and reliable. Honda FTW

Daily driving the NSX in Chicago seems to be impossible for a variety of reasons, winter being the primary one.

But if you can afford both the NSX and a daily driver, I would definitely buy the NSX over the Z or the Subaru. Although I haven't owned either of them, I would expect the NSX to be a totally different (and way better) ownership experience. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'll be moving to Chicago permanently very soon. I would love to tag along with a few of the Chicago guys to a meet & greet, just to get a better feel for what I will soon purchase. I've never ridden in an NSX and I'm waiting for the day that dream will be granted to me, CAN'T WAIT :biggrin::biggrin:

I'll be moving to Chicago permanently very soon. I would love to tag along with a few of the Chicago guys to a meet & greet, just to get a better feel for what I will soon purchase. I've never ridden in an NSX and I'm waiting for the day that dream will be granted to me, CAN'T WAIT :biggrin::biggrin:

I would not recommend trying to drive a NSX year round in Chicago. It just does not have the ground clearence needed for jumping snow banks.

Last edited:
+1 for no daily driving...

Personally, I dont feel any sports car makes a good daily driver. Its just too painful to watch them slowly get destroyed by the inevitable crap that happens and then there is the fact that they are impractical.

Add to that the higher maintenance costs (it may be a Honda, but its more than an Accord or Civic to maintain) and the fact that there are social aspects (the NSX gets a lot of attention - thats good and bad)

If you're keeping score of responses, I have a sedan, a truck, and [insert sports car here - hopefully coming back to the NSX soon]. I suspect that while there are folks around who have the NSX as their only car, it's an exception.

Buy an NSX. If the NSX is what you really want... you will never be 100% happy with anything else you get.

Before I had my NSX, I had a G35 coupe which is similar to the Z you are looking at except for more weight and the back seat. The G35 is very fun to drive, but the NSX it so much better! There is just something about driving the NSX that gives you this different feeling of fun and uniqueness you can't get with most cars. I went through a similar thought process you are when I bought my NSX b/c I was going from an 04 G35 to something 13 years older. Ultimately the decision is yours on what makes you happy, but you will not regret an NSX.

Keep the accord, I have an accord as a DD myself. :biggrin:

Hi colslaw87. Are you just 22, born in 87? Just a guess. :smile: I don't have any answers for you. I bought my '05 NSX in March. Guess where I got it from? Chicago. :smile: I flew in, saw the car, but didn't drive it. The roads were so lousy, full of potholes, I didn't want the previous owner, or me, to risk taking it out on them. Car was immaculate. I paid him, and within an hour, had the car loaded onto the shipping truck, headed for So Cal. So, you aren't in So California are you? I hear you about not having driven an NSX. Not that I'd let you drive mine, but maybe go for a spin, if you're local. BTW, ever consider a Honda S2000? They don't have the torque of an NSX but they are Hondas and great fun, too.

I lived in Chicago x 4 years. Definitely DO NOT drive the NSX there in the winter. I would also keep the Accord to help keep the insurance $$ of the NSX down. Advise your ins. agent that the Accord is the DD and NSX as your pleasure vehicle. It will keep the premiums low and you will have a backup plan if one of the cars is in the shop. Of course, depending on where you live in Chi town, parking can be an issue w/ multiple cars. Good luck and welcome!

Jeff

Hi colslaw87. Are you just 22, born in 87?
Yes I'm 22, and the name is Cole.

I hear you about not having driven an NSX. Not that I'd let you drive mine, but maybe go for a spin, if you're local. BTW, ever consider a Honda S2000? They don't have the torque of an NSX but they are Hondas and great fun, too.
If I am in SoCal I will definitely let you know, thank you for being so generous. I love the S2000, I am fortunately 6'5" but unfortunately can not fit in the S2000 :frown: bummer

I lived in Chicago x 4 years. Definitely DO NOT drive the NSX there in the winter. I would also keep the Accord to help keep the insurance $$ of the NSX down. Advise your ins. agent that the Accord is the DD and NSX as your pleasure vehicle. It will keep the premiums low and you will have a backup plan if one of the cars is in the shop. Of course, depending on where you live in Chi town, parking can be an issue w/ multiple cars. Good luck and welcome!

Jeff
As of right now, I will not bring my Accord to Chicago. It will cost more to store it than it's worth. I will be living in an apartment first off, parking will be very expensive with a car. When I purchase an NSX, I will have to make some important living situation decisions...move to a house or search for reasonable parking. I'll worry about it when the time comes :rolleyes:

I recently got the chance to ride along with Brylek in Chicago. It was amazing to say the least. My first time riding in an NSX and I want one even more. They seem much smaller in person, I actually had some difficulty fitting into the passenger seat. I hope I can finely adjust the seat of my future purchase to make the ride more comfortable. Either that, buy Dali tall man seat cushions or seats like the Bride Low Max editions.

Last edited:
I have not read thru this thread so please forgive me, but after having my nsx for 5 years and using it as a DD for most of the time, I would HIGHLY recommend keeping your 92'accord and using it as your DD. Keep the nsx for fun spirited runs. I do not doubt nor question the nsx as far as reliability but I would rather drive a car that I can park anywhere, drive thru anything (snow, rain etc) and not worry about it. My a/c has also never worked, so driving it in 90+ degree weather 9 months out of the yr and wearing a suit absolutely sucks!!

drive the 92 into its grave and roll the nsx out when you can enjoy driving it rather than using to for commuting.

I have not read thru this thread so please forgive me, but after having my nsx for 5 years and using it as a DD for most of the time, I would HIGHLY recommend keeping your 92'accord and using it as your DD. Keep the nsx for fun spirited runs. I do not doubt nor question the nsx as far as reliability but I would rather drive a car that I can park anywhere, drive thru anything (snow, rain etc) and not worry about it. My a/c has also never worked, so driving it in 90+ degree weather 9 months out of the yr and wearing a suit absolutely sucks!!

drive the 92 into its grave and roll the nsx out when you can enjoy driving it rather than using to for commuting.

Well now I wish I could afford to keep it. It's really just dead weight. I figure now that I'm in Chicago I wont need a car, so I can just own the NSX and have my spirited drives around town when needed :smile:

Dont have a NSX, but here are my thoughts/ramblings about the Z:

Had a 05 350z before...very easy car to drive... RWD, plenty of power, sportiness was there, and used to get a ton of comments about the color (lemans sunset). Not very exclusive...see at least 2-3/day. Sits much higher than a NSX, the 04 NSX I test drove felt noticeably faster, dont know about the NA1 versions.
to sum it up, you cant go wrong with a 350/370Z. will definitely give you a smile on your face when driving. maybe a precursor before your NSX?

Back