Hello Everyone - looking forward to joining the NSX community soon

Hi,

My name is Ming and I am in the process of selling my Lotus Elise (buyer is coming this Friday!). I have owned the Elise for about 1.5 years, an E46 M3 before that. I have always been a big fan of the NSX and have enjoyed browsing the forum and looking for the right car.
IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

I was able to sell my car much sooner than I had expected, and am now actively looking with cash in hand for my NSX. I really like the colors available in the 2002+ years, but based on my budget, I have decided on red; I really like the blue, but those are hard to come by.

I (think) have decided on NSX-T, because I really like the functionality of the Targa top, even though there is a weight penalty; worst case I can look elsewhere to make up the ~100 lb difference. It would be great to be able to afford a 3.2 NA2.

I'm sure this is stated all the time, but if there is anything in particular I should be looking for, please let me know, outside of:
- Timing belt maintenance
- Water pump
- Gaskets

Thanks for reading and I look forward to meeting all of you!

Last edited:
Just curious.

Do you have the Difflow on your Elise?

So why are you going from the Elise to the NSX? Looking for the luxury daily driven aspect?

If you plan on doing forced induction (which happens often when people get used to the power or feel that the NSX is a bit anemic from that linear power band) I wouldn't bother with the 3.2 NSXs for the following reasons:

1. The engines don't have steel sleeves in the combustion chamber. Pretty much bare aluminum with some sorta coating that I have no confidence in handling the extra heat and dynamic pressures.

2. I was told that the head shape of the 3.0 liter engines are better suited for forced induction from a couple of reputable NSX engine tuners/builders. I haven't researched or confirmed either way.

3. 5-speed manual tranny appears to be stronger than the 6 speed manual

4. OBD-2 can be a PITA with regards to that check engine light

5. By going with an older NSX you should be able to save $$$ so you can allocate them for performance mods. IMHO it's a good feeling to be parked next to the 02+ NSX that is normally aspirated and know that for about the same price I'm double the power with my blower.

6. And lastly, the NSX Targa is not only heavier, but it just seems like an afterthought (not part of the original design) and there is that issue with chassis flex, making sure ur top isn't leaking water from rain or washing it, and squeaks and rattles.

91-92 have their bugs, but have a usable glove compartment (NSXs dun have much in terms of storage in the cabin).

I prefer the 93-94....

-
Batman makes very valid points if your goal is horsepower and "go faster" via forced injection, since you simply get more bang for your buck with an earlier year and mods done correctly.

If you want a nice Targa to do some spirited driving from time to time, you should be able to find a 97-01 in the 40-55K range and an 02-05 in the 50-75K range.

You are probably going to want the rigidness and lightness of a coupe na1 since you are coming from an elise. the 91-94 are also ideal because they are cheaper, easier to modify, lighter, more ridged, and they dont have power steering. since these only cost 20-30k you will have much more room in the budget to play with. you can also do the entire 02+ exterior revamp for around 10k for just the parts. imo 91-01 body looks sharper with the right wheel and suspension height.

I say get an older one higher miles, and save tons of cash.

then Dump that cash right into the engine like an Super Charger

and WHIP anything on the streets including F-cars, Lambo, Porsche, the list goes on.

and live the dream buddy live the dream

Last edited:
Welcome! Great points above .. but if you haven't already found it, make sure you also check out the NSX Wiki (off the red action bar at the top of most pages) for lots of useful NSX-related information. It's a work in progress but lots of good stuff there for people interested in getting an NSX.

Thanks everyone for the great thoughts! Unfortunately, my buyer dropped out last minute (2 days before coming to pick up, after sending me a deposit, ARGH!) so I'm going to have to wait a little longer. Hopefully to be ready before end of the year :(

Have you guys noticed much movement in prices recently? There is a pretty small pool, so "market" is likely heavily based on individual upgrades to vehicles.

No I do not have the Difflow, but I have met / know him through the Lotustalk forums. Great guy and love his products!

So why are you going from the Elise to the NSX? Looking for the luxury daily driven aspect?
My wife has always hated the Elise (I think I spoiled her with the M3) and since moving to PA, the roads are EVEN WORSE than IL, and it's just not a great area to really enjoy driving a tiny vehicle like the Lotus. I always knew I wanted an NSX and now I have the opportunity, so I'm going for it!

2. I was told that the head shape of the 3.0 liter engines are better suited for forced induction from a couple of reputable NSX engine tuners/builders. I haven't researched or confirmed either way.
My intention was to either get rid of the Elise for more power or forced induction, so I will likely eventually go towards FI after owning the NSX. Give me a couple weeks ;)

4. OBD-2 can be a PITA with regards to that check engine light
Is there alot of diagnosis that needs to be completed by the owner? Meaning, does the check engine light come on regularly for pesky reasons? I never noticed this to happen with the Lotus, and expected it to be even less with an NSX?

6. And lastly, the NSX Targa is not only heavier, but it just seems like an afterthought (not part of the original design) and there is that issue with chassis flex, making sure ur top isn't leaking water from rain or washing it, and squeaks and rattles.

Ha - in that case, I'll be right at home! The Lotus' windows / seals are also not that great - I'm sure the NSX is far better!

Thanks for all the great ideas - I think I am now staying with the 5 speed. Any particular reason why you prefer the 1993-1994 BATMANs?

......Any particular reason why you prefer the 1993-1994 BATMANs?

The big reason and by chance is that I got mine with 35k miles for $24k from a good friend of mine that wants a Gallardo with the GPS and all of the "modern-day" electronics and gadgets. No accidents, original paint and even had the timing belt and water pump done. I'm the 5th owner and the first owner was worth about $500 million from a company that he founded and IPO'd back in the DOT COM days. The NSX was all sold to friends and relatives so no one was going to screw anyone over. Certainly not considering the amount of $$$ some of these friends were worth. They wanted the NSX while they learned a rear-mid engine layout before they took delivery of whatever Ferrari they were waiting for at the time which they let me take for a spin, unsupervised.

But before I bought the NSX I did some brief research and determined that the 93-94 fit my requirements based on my aforementioned. It's also the ONLY years that the NSX had dual airbags, 5-speed, no early model bugs, OBD-1 and the 3.0 liter engine that was more optimized for turbo or supercharging.

Also, I did forget to mention that I didn't want the power steering in the later years for the following reasons:

1. cost to replace was $5k~ from one of my friend's '97 that failed
2. Since ur coming from an Elise I'm sure u can appreciate the feedback of no power steering as opposed to a muted steering experience
3. Again, it was extra weight and took space in the front

Last edited:
"Is there alot of diagnosis that needs to be completed by the owner? Meaning, does the check engine light come on regularly for pesky reasons? I never noticed this to happen with the Lotus, and expected it to be even less with an NSX?"

LOL def NO

the only real reason any lights come on is when the owner does something like audio amp install with no skills to do so. adding an after market UNSAFE no airbag steering wheel.
disconnecting their ABS to save a few lbs in weight, removing the said aftermarket steering wheel and ripping the clock-spring for the SRS. in the computer field we call this USER-ITIS

Last edited:
Just sold my car today! This is great as I *might* be able to test drive a car before winter comes and everyone puts their babies away for the season.

If anybody knows of a great car with history, I am aggressively looking! Thanks!

Back