Headroom issue - am I just SOL?

My sad tale goes like this: After years of lusting for an NSX I am finally in a position to make the move. I found a car close by, did my due diligence by reading as much as I could, researching the service records, etc. Went to the dealer, got in and my head hit the roof. I mean really hit. Even with my head tilted to the side as far as I could, I still couldn't fit. This was an NSX-T. I'm 6'-4" and have a long body not long legs. (stupid European genes) I have seen posts saying coupes have more headroom than T's and other discussing alternative seats, although I'm not sure I'd be crazy about changing the seats out. So I ask you:
1. Am I just screwed and need to find another weekend car? (Not much else interests me though)
2. How much more headroom would a coupe provide? It was tough enough to find a T to sit in and I find coupes even tougher to locate close to me.
3. The seats in the car seem close to the floor already. What kind of aftermarket seats do you folks use and how much lower are they?
Needless to say I was really depressed after my test fit but I don't want to give up if there is a hope of me being able to comfortably fit in one of these beautiful machines. As always, thank you in advance for all your help.
Dave

If you want the NSX-T I suggest the Dali seat cushion. I installed it in my car and it makes a world of difference. I had mine made to match the leather and the perferations (little holes) in the stock seat. Looks good and feels good and makes driving the car much more fun. Best is it is easy to swap back to stock cushion as well. BTW I am 6'3" and also a long body person. Good luck.

1) Welcome.

2) Fill out your profile more since you don't even have the state filled in we have no idea where "near you" is. Someone near you might have a coupe you can sit in.

3) Learn to use the search. You can also use the "search" in the red bar near the top between "new posts" & "quick links", it works the same either way.

4) After you do #3, you will find many informative threads like these that address your exact question since it has come up 57x before.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127289&highlight=headroom,+tall
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90878&highlight=headroom,+tall
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70380&highlight=headroom,+tall

Good luck hunting, it always takes time to find the right car.

My sad tale goes like this: After years of lusting for an NSX I am finally in a position to make the move. I found a car close by, did my due diligence by reading as much as I could, researching the service records, etc. Went to the dealer, got in and my head hit the roof. I mean really hit. Even with my head tilted to the side as far as I could, I still couldn't fit. This was an NSX-T. I'm 6'-4" and have a long body not long legs. (stupid European genes) I have seen posts saying coupes have more headroom than T's and other discussing alternative seats, although I'm not sure I'd be crazy about changing the seats out. So I ask you:
1. Am I just screwed and need to find another weekend car? (Not much else interests me though)
2. How much more headroom would a coupe provide? It was tough enough to find a T to sit in and I find coupes even tougher to locate close to me.
3. The seats in the car seem close to the floor already. What kind of aftermarket seats do you folks use and how much lower are they?
Needless to say I was really depressed after my test fit but I don't want to give up if there is a hope of me being able to comfortably fit in one of these beautiful machines. As always, thank you in advance for all your help.
Dave

"stupid European genes "??? attention has your words guy!!! ok? … you are racist???:mad:

Hi,
I'm 6'5" (be it mostly leg) and have a T. The Dali seat cushion is an easy to do mode and get you about 2 inches of head room. It blends in nicely and is seamless to all but those who know the car well. If you take your time, you can keep the OEM cushion in top shape to revert this mod at any time.

If you care to do a bit of cross, you can easily take it out and sit on a towel to get some helmet room.

NOTE: I don't think OP was trying to be racist with the gene comment.

"stupid European genes "??? attention has your words guy!!! ok? … you are racist???:mad:

Wait... is it possible to be racist against ones self?! :biggrin: I suspect he was kidding around :wink:

Thank you all for the information. It's nice to know I may still be able to own an NSX; a high performance car as reliable as my Acura Legend or any of the other Honda products I've owned. Sorry about the lack of a profile, I'm very new at this forum thing. I'll see if I can figure out how to get that done as well as use the search feature. To the member in Belgium, sorry for the misunderstanding. I've been called many things over the years, mostly by my students, but racist isn't one of them. I was simply bemoaning the genetic trait most folks of Norse decent have; that being height from long bodies as opposed to long legs. Great for volleyball, not so great for getting into small cars. I could tell you an MG Midget story that would have you rolling. Thanks again. I'll be back after I do some more research.
Dave

There may also be the Tom Selleck/Thomas Magnum way he was able to drive around in Robin Master's Ferrari 308 GTS... only on nice days with the targa roof off.

I'm about 6'1" but my legs are longer than my torso and I have plenty of room in my coupe. I have only sat in a targa once and it had the top off, so I don't remember my fit.

I would think one of the seat options offered above would work for you. Of course you don't want to spend the type of money on an NSX only to find out you don't fit.

Good Luck...

Dave... I am probably a little far from you. But you are welcome to try my coupe if you are willing to drive a little.

I am 6'2 and I have an aftermarket steering wheel with a 30mm spacer. Which allows me to sit more reclined, which means more head room.

<--- I live there. PM me if you want.

Dali seat cushion is my favorite mod.
I'm 6'1" with the same racist European body build ;)
At 6'4" you may have to remove the cushion completly and sit on the pan or with a thin foam mouse pad type cushion. Dont laugh it works just fine once the plastic wire loom rivets are removed so they dont stick up into your posterior; Use tie wraps instead.
I was simply amazed at the light weight of the stock power seat. Honda even got this right.
If you are old and fat like me the Dali cushion lowers you further into the "wedge" of the seat. It gets tight but, hey, its a freaking NSX !!! not a Caddy.
For the track the cushion can be removed for helmet clearance and to further lower and thus grab and hold you.

God I love this car.
If I were 7' I'd just remove the seat, sit on the floor, and drive an NSX.

Last edited:
I am probably one of the "tallest white people" driving the car as people have told me. If you lived by i would show you how i took out the seat cushion entirely. Im 6'6 almost 6'7 and fit with very little room, probably not enough to wear a helmet but i fit non the less. I was sitting on a towel but that is ghetto for a nsx so I bought some leather and sewed the edges to look more presentable and fitted it on the bottom of the seat. I am satisfied at my job and now fit great. Take the seat cushion out as i seriously saved about 3 inches. When i first looked at the car i had to tilt my head to fit and the gf said i wouldn't fit. Then i took out the seat and i look semi normal driving it now.

I am probably one of the "tallest white people" driving the car as people have told me. If you lived by i would show you how i took out the seat cushion entirely. Im 6'6 almost 6'7 and fit with very little room, probably not enough to wear a helmet but i fit non the less. I was sitting on a towel but that is ghetto for a nsx so I bought some leather and sewed the edges to look more presentable and fitted it on the bottom of the seat. I am satisfied at my job and now fit great. Take the seat cushion out as i seriously saved about 3 inches. When i first looked at the car i had to tilt my head to fit and the gf said i wouldn't fit. Then i took out the seat and i look semi normal driving it now.

I have a leatherseats.com kit on order and I plan to take the bottom cushion out and use only the leather from the kit on both sides, or possibly some "mouse pad" type foam with the leather on it.

I’m planning on using a Tempur-Med wheelchair cushion as a seat bottom. I read that Koenigsegg uses Tempur cushions in their seats to give the driver “utmost comfort” and that sounds like a good idea.

My plan: completely remove the stock bottom cushion, sit in the bare seat shell, and measure how much headroom I have. Put in the Tempur cushion, sit on that for about half an hour, and measure headroom again. Then cut the Tempur down enough so that there’s about a centimetre of foam between me and the aluminium shell when I’m sitting in the seat. Have an upholstery shop trim the Tempur in leather to look just like the stock seat bottom. That should get me lots of headroom and a very comfortable, stock-looking seat.

I have a leatherseats.com kit on order and I plan to take the bottom cushion out and use only the leather from the kit on both sides, or possibly some "mouse pad" type foam with the leather on it.

Back