header install shop?

Thinking about picking up some headers. Any recommendations on a good place to get them installed. I know this isn't "rocket science" so i'm sure there are many other shops who are more then qualified to do this.

Thanks

Take it to Cedar Park Auto. Ask for Sexy Mexi.

What kind are you getting?

Can I pay him in like usual....$1 bills folded long ways.

Been kicking around either getting the 97+ stock headers or the top speed/obx ones and since mine is 96 don't have to worry about flex pipe. Seem everything is upgrade compared to stock :)

let us know how much they quote for the install.

Blaine

Here is my .02, I installed 1997 headers on my 1992. Take it for what its worth. Having known then what I know now I would have purchased a nice gently used set of CompTech headers.

If you are getting OEM headers consider the following:

1. Spend $ on aftermarket headers
Labor is the same or more if you use factory headers.
2. Re-Weld the Factory OEM Headers
The factory OEM headers are tack welded and can crack at the seam, I brought my headers to turbochargers.com in Houston and they put a bead weld all the way around.
3. Jetcoat them (ceramic coating)
Jethotcoatings.com
4. Install them yourself
Just saw a great write-up posted in the DIY forum

Moe @ David McDavid Acura in Austin did my headers.

Here were the costs involved (it was GROSSLY more expensive than I had anticipated when all was said and done).

NSX Prime Used Heades 19K Miles $350

SoS EAP-665 1997-99 Header Conversion Kit ($274), O2 Sensor Extension Harness Kit ($79) + Shipping ($8) Total $361.

Delray Acura Zanardi Rear Sway Bar (required if you plan on using catalytic converters from 1997) ($82.39) + Shipping ($8.95) Total $91.34

Turbochargers.com Labor to weld headers Total $150.

Jet-Hot Ceramic Coating ($235.00) + Shipping ($34) Total $269.

Gaskets
(2) 18115-PR7-A02 Gasket, EX, MAN ($53.84), (2) 18212-SA0-003 Gasket, EX PIP ($19.04) (2) GSKT 52.5MM-53 ($28.86) Total $101.74

David McDavid Acura Labor $735.00

Grand Total $2,058.08

DAMN!!! How long did it take them to complete?

It wasn't broken down hourly, that was a flat rate for the installation.

$735 is definitely more than $400.

Here's my take on it, and I know most people don't feel the same way so this is just my opinion.

I have always been taken care of at David McDavid Acura in Austin. Moe is the only one that touches my car and I don't worry about leaving it there.

They provide a rental car for the day so I don't worry about how long it will take them. I would rather have them keep it for a few days and do the job right, rather than rush it.

They may charge more for labor but everytime Moe has worked on my car it was done right the first time. I didn't have to bring it back because something wasn't working.

They allow me to bring parts from other dealers. Their parts prices are high, but they have allowed me to purchase new parts elsewhere. When I had my AC Compressor replaced I bought the compressor from Delray Acura and they installed it without question.

They provide excellent customer service. A few weeks ago I had to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes for an oil change so they didn't charge me.

Over the summer the starter on my car failed, they towed my car for their cost $50 and gave me a rental the same day. They had the tow truck there within the hour, and made sure that the operator knew that the car was an NSX.

This of course is just my experience. To me its the small things that add value.

If the other guys recommend someone in the area that would do it for $400 I would trust their judgement. I just wanted to share my dealer experience with you.

Sounds fair, I do know Mo, and he is a stand up guy. We've installed a set of 97's and a set of top speed headers at my shop here.

The only thing we ended up doing on the 97 install on our 93 was make that extension for the header, (no cats though), and we made our own extension harness for the o2 sensor by using a few dead o2 sensors that we had from some obdI hondas. So not a big deal.

And if you are interested 375 is what we charged to do the top speed header on a local's NSX. We had it done in about a day. But I do agree, you're better off buying aftermarket headers instead of the stock 97's. Though it's an upgrade, I don't think it's an upgrade worth doing...

Back