• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Have problem with American Home Shield Insurance

I have bought a home warranty for my rental units from American Home Shield (AHS). My property manager called me on Friday that the plumber from AHS refused to fix the water heater because it has sedimentation in the tank. Under the contract booklet that they sent me, the water heater is covered, but it does not say anything about sedimentation or any fine print on the booklet under water heater section. They argued that the water heater has not been maintained properly and it builds up sedimentation. My argument is that it is old, normal wear and tear, therefore it has sedimentations (rust). we went back and forth. Finally, they recommend another plumber to come out for second opinion next week. I have to pay $60 each time for a service request. I am planning to call the Authorization Dept. on Monday to discuss about this. These insurance companies do know how to collect the money, but don't want to pay out when I need it.

How many of you flush your water heaters and how often?

The question that I need is your help from the argument so they fix/replace the new one- By the way, they don't want to flush the tank either.

Do you have any recommendations for me in this argument? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Cheap home warranties are junk. The fine print will get them off the hook most of the time. My home warranty excluded any damage caused by electrolysis, which excludes any rust or scale on any metal part. I never renewed after the 1st year. Are you certain the water heater isn't excluded by some generic clause that applies to everything?

Most water heaters have a sacrificial anode inside them to prevent rusting. Once it's eaten up, it needs to be replaced or the tanks will rust. I used to have a lot of sediment in my tank, but it was actually coming from the water line. After I replumbed the house with copper, the sediment eventually disappeared.

Sorry I can't help your case. I've just accepted that the home ins. companies aren't worth the premium, let alone the hassle of dealing with them...at least for the cheap policies. I rather do the work myself anyway.

I would just spend the $400-$500 to get the water heater replaced & start a once a year schedule for draining & flushing it. Check the anode at the same time. Make sure you have a spare one or know the part # & can get one easily locally. Time the flush & check for when the plumbing supply place is open (or just stock a spare as I said earlier) in case yours does need replacing so you're not stuck w/o hot water for a couple of days waiting to get one or have to shut it down for a 2nd time to replace it.

If the water has a lot of sediment, put one of those sediment filters on the water line coming into the house so it protects everything. Then check the filter in that every few months & keep a few spare filters on hand for replacing as needed.

I have bought a home warranty for my rental units from American Home Shield (AHS). My property manager called me on Friday that the plumber from AHS refused to fix the water heater because it has sedimentation in the tank. Under the contract booklet that they sent me, the water heater is covered, but it does not say anything about sedimentation or any fine print on the booklet under water heater section. They argued that the water heater has not been maintained properly and it builds up sedimentation. My argument is that it is old, normal wear and tear, therefore it has sedimentations (rust). we went back and forth. Finally, they recommend another plumber to come out for second opinion next week. I have to pay $60 each time for a service request. I am planning to call the Authorization Dept. on Monday to discuss about this. These insurance companies do know how to collect the money, but don't want to pay out when I need it.

How many of you flush your water heaters and how often?

The question that I need is your help from the argument so they fix/replace the new one- By the way, they don't want to flush the tank either.

Do you have any recommendations for me in this argument? Thanks in advance

I mean no harm and please don't be offended but.....

Dude you must drive people nuts. If I was your property manager I would tell you to jump in the lake. If I was the warranty company I would fight you all the way.

Drop the warranty they never pay out anyways. They are geared to wards people who think they are going to circumvent expenses. Most people only get stung by them once but there are enough people that they stay in business. Really they are like a Ponzi scheme IMO.

For anyone we manage property for I would tell them to go phuck themselves if they wanted me to take 2 trips out to meet with the warranty company and then field calls from tenants that have no hot water for days until something is done. If they want to penny pinch then they can do it on their own time. and see just how much it saves them but one thing they aren't going to do is waste what little time I have already.

So the scenario would go like this, water heater is broke it's replaced you get a bill and pay it. anything beyond that is not my problem.

The cheap always turns out expensive.

To answer your question, no I don't flush water heaters. I have one property in particular that has A LOT of sediment in the water. The water heaters burn up ever 5 years or so. I can replace the elements usually but if the tank gets really old I just replace the thing. I don't think anyone flushes their water heater so that would most likely be the requirement for the warranty to pay for the replacement. Even if you did flush it I bet you would have to do so with kangaroo piss and have it documented by a midget dressed like elvis.

I am not trying to be an a-hole or piss you off. Your time is more valuable then a water heater. I know if I micro managed every problem I wouldn't have expanded to the size I am today.

Again I mean no harm, actually trying to help.

If the water has a lot of sediment, put one of those sediment filters on the water line coming into the house so it protects everything. Then check the filter in that every few months & keep a few spare filters on hand for replacing as needed.

This actually won't help much either as the sediment will combine in the water heater tank as the water is being heated.

Sediment combines with what? Magic dust? Combines how? How can sediment that is filtered out combine with anything? The problems are corrosion of the metal tank if the enamel lining inside the tank is breached or anode is eaten away. Eventually it rusts through & you get a big flood somewhere. Better to maintain it & plan on changing it every 10-15yrs, probably sooner if you have hard water.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,460788,00.html

This actually won't help much either as the sediment will combine in the water heater tank as the water is being heated.

Sediment combines with what? Magic dust? Combines how? How can sediment that is filtered out combine with anything? The problems are corrosion of the metal tank if the enamel lining inside the tank is breached or anode is eaten away. Eventually it rusts through & you get a big flood somewhere. Better to maintain it & plan on changing it every 10-15yrs, probably sooner if you have hard water.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,460788,00.html

I guess it depends on the micron of the filter. If small particles get through the filter they will combine with each other. If you add magic dust your screwed. The entire tank will harden instantly.

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education2/42-hard-water-problems.htm

Scale is one of the most serious problems caused by hardness mineral deposits. This particular by-product of water hardness puts many water-using appliances out of service. It clogs hot water pipes and can sharply reduce the heating efficiency of a boiler or water heater. When hard water is heated, scale is formed. This is due to (1) the breakdown of calcium and magnesium bicarbonates, (2) their reversion to the highly insoluble carbonate forms, (3) their precipitation from the water, and (4) their concentration on the interior surfaces of the water heater.

Last edited:
Minerals in solution are not sediment. The scale that you are referring to is when they react & come out of solution, forming the build up. So yes, you are right that the sediment filter won't help, but for the wrong reason. The filter will still keep crud (particulates in the water feeding the house) from settling out in the bottom of the tank, but won't help with ions (the disassociated Mg & Ca cations you refer to & partner anions) attacking the metal, which is the job of the anode. Which is why flushing the tank & checking the anode yearly are the best ways to extend the life of the heater.

Last edited:
Back