• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has anyone tried R6 front and NT01 rear combo for track days?

Before I roll fender and fiddle with liner to accommodate 235 front, I want to try something different... strongly considering Hoosier R6 225/40-17 front and Nitto NT01 275/35-18 rear set up. Has anyone tried a such combo? Any feedback or comment would be greatly appreciated

Before I roll fender and fiddle with liner to accommodate 235 front, I want to try something different... strongly considering Hoosier R6 225/40-17 front and Nitto NT01 275/35-18 rear set up. Has anyone tried a such combo? Any feedback or comment would be greatly appreciated

Sounds like a bad idea. The R6 is a much stickier compound than the NT01. As well, the R6 will start strong and give up grip as it heat cycles, the NT01 tends to be consistent from the start until cording. Why would you not just use the matching 275/35/18 R6 in the rear?

Funny I mentioned this combo in another thread......I would take the R6 in the car with some street tires on the front to get to the track and swap at track....try it and let me know how it goes....

All this mis matching tire talk lately...

Sure, you CAN do it, you can do anything you want. Ive done it on my drift cars and in situations where it was the easy temporary option. if you're just driving to and from or just messing around at 6/10ths, totally.

I'd caution between those instances and the instances where people are trying to mis match compounds as a solution to car set up. There is a reason race teams or enthusiasts trying to squeeze every bit out of the car never do it, there are SO many variables when speaking about construction, tread pattern, wall stiffness, heat falloff etc.... adding all these variables into the mix when setting up a quick car is MUCH MORE difficult than making simpler more direct adjustments and having an apples to apple front and rear.

Im not saying that a car cannot be fast with a mismatched set up. I am saying a car can be much more consistent through the tire life (mismatched or not) and allow the driver in the end to be faster.

For god sakes, Removing the fender liner takes literally 2 min when the car is on the ground and is a reversible action. it'll take more time to unpack your car at the track than pull them out. Im all for innovation but this makes zero sense to me

Last edited:
...............do it....................:biggrin:

Sounds like a bad idea. The R6 is a much stickier compound than the NT01. As well, the R6 will start strong and give up grip as it heat cycles, the NT01 tends to be consistent from the start until cording. Why would you not just use the matching 275/35/18 R6 in the rear?
I wanted to see if I can get a better grip on the front with R6

For god sakes, Removing the fender liner takes literally 2 min when the car is on the ground and is a reversible action. it'll take more time to unpack your car at the track than pull them out. Im all for innovation but this makes zero sense to me

Willem, do you track without the liner? If so, have you gotten any reverse dings?

I wanted to see if I can get a better grip on the front with R6
Why? Are you trying to make the car oversteer?

Also, I haven't used the R6, but based on Jim's comment above, it's possible that the car would oversteer with newer R6 in front, but could actually transition to understeer as the tires wear and go through a lot of heat cycles. Similarly it could understeer if the pavement is damp.

I agree with willem above; it introduces a handling variable that may be unpredictable, and there are better ways to sort out handling than mixing tires whose characteristics are very different from each other, which certainly applies to the R6/NT01 combo.

Last edited:
Why? Are you trying to make the car oversteer?

I'm not trying to make the car oversteer. I'm looking for more grip on the front to eliminate understeer.
I liked R888 235/275 combo but they completely destroyed the liner :frown:. Since then I went back to ZII 215/265 combo but not liking it. Far less grip and now the car has tendency to understeer.
Seems like the only solution is more (-) front camber, roll the fender and remove the liner for 235/275 NT01 set up.

Greg: nope no reverse dings for me. i track on Azenis, Rs3's, r888's and Nt01 about 35+ days in the NSX last year.

Go to pep boys or autozone and get this: http://www.fullsource.com/dupli-color-uc101/

remove the front wheels and take out the liner. Tape off the suspension so it wont get on the shock pistons. Spray it on the underside of the fenders. let it dry. Problem solved.

Increase the height of the coilovers so the car leans more forward. Check front tire pressures arent too high. Adding more rake and less pressure to the front should solve your under-steer problems. Take your time.

Last edited:
You could have just read my thread too. I already asked all these questions. LOL

no one reads all your threads Dave, we aint got the time:biggrin:

Greg, I'll buy your ZIIs if you're thinking of selling. My friend bought your old ZIs I believe.

It seems like you've addressed all the usual suspects (dampers, camber, sway bars, tire pressures?)
Pretty much all has been sorted except for camber kit to get more than current -2.4 camber. Also have a set of Dali trophy bar on order.
I have a several sets of tires I'll be selling. PM me your offer on ZII tires. Tires have less than 500mi including one track day.

- - - Updated - - -

Greg: nope no reverse dings for me. i track on Azenis, Rs3's, r888's and Nt01 about 35+ days in the NSX last year.

Go to pep boys or autozone and get this: http://www.fullsource.com/dupli-color-uc101/

remove the front wheels and take out the liner. Tape off the suspension so it wont get on the shock pistons. Spray it on the underside of the fenders. let it dry. Problem solved.

Increase the height of the coilovers so the car leans more forward. Check front tire pressures arent too high. Adding more rake and less pressure to the front should solve your under-steer problems. Take your time.
Thanks for the tire pressure and rake advise. I'll try that before I install the camber kit. Just ordered the spray can... wish I can check out your car to see how you did it

Greg, Will and I are local. i'm also going to see Mark @ Dali tomorrow. I can pick up your bars in person if you'd like.
Pretty much all has been sorted except for camber kit to get more than current -2.4 camber. Also have a set of Dali trophy bar on order.
I have a several sets of tires I'll be selling. PM me your offer on ZII tires. Tires have less than 500mi including one track day.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the tire pressure and rake advise. I'll try that before I install the camber kit. Just ordered the spray can... wish I can check out your car to see how you did it

Back