Happy Chinese New Years...NSX community!!

Happy New Years to all those Chinese NSXers out there! Year of the RAM....year of our expecting firstborn as well. I can't wait to pass down my NSX to him/her.....I have no doubt it'll be as strong 16 years later as the day I got it....the NSX, I mean

Enjoy this little music clip....
http://www.millan.net/funp/100/nygirl.html

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Happy New Year!

Congrats on the growing family. I met a guy once that bought a new Fiero on the day his daughter was born. His intent was to keep it as new and garaged until her 16th birthday. His intentions were good, but somehow a used NSX seems a bit nicer than an 'as new' Fiero.

Now that we have it going...let's spice up this topic...

1. What's the traditional Chinese food you eat during new years?
2. If you're still single, how much money (red envelope) did you receive?
3. If you're married, how much money did you hand out?
4. Special acitivities?

I'll start

1. sticky rice cake, sugar-coated candies, red lucky candy, melon seeds, "to have fish" (in Chinese, same pronounciation as abundance)
2. No chance of that again.
3. Plenty to hand out to younger cousins
4. Eat lots, drink lots, rest lots and then eat and drink some more.....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Well I have a confession to make. I'm not chinese...just wanted to wish you a happy new year. But to run with the theme I will be going out to a chinese restaurant to celebrate. Enjoy your feast!

Originally posted by Blue Knight:
Now that we have it going...let's spice up this topic...

1. What's the traditional Chinese food you eat during new years?
2. If you're still single, how much money (red envelope) did you receive?
3. If you're married, how much money did you hand out?
4. Special acitivities?

1. dumplings, cuz they are the shape of gold nuggets in ancient times. fish as mentioned. These two are the most important, I think.

2. Haven't gotten any ever since I moved to the U.S. No relatives here besides parents.

3. Won't start doing that for awhile.

4. Playing fire crackers, but can't do that here in the US. Lighting up fire crackers is a way to drive out the bad luck and start the new year with a bang, so to speak. The only bang I'll get if I light up a fire cracker here would be the bang of a jail door slammed shut on me.
eek.gif

Also every family should have a "golden orange" tree in thier home since orange in Chinese has the same pronouciation with good luck. Where can I find one in San Diego?
biggrin.gif

Also play mahjong, especially Cantonese families. Playing all night untill the first day of the new year is the proper way to do it.

For main land Chinese, watching CCTV's annual New Year celebration concert has became a tradition as well.

There are lots more according to different regions, but that's all I can think of now.

------------------
George W
Porsche 996 for sale!

Hey George W, what you described brought back immediate memories of my childhood in Taiwan...!

Dumplings dominated New Year's eve festivities. There was a tradition in my family to put golden coins in a few dumplings, and those who found the ones with coins were destined for good luck during the new year.

Of course, as a kid, I collected the coins and used them to fund my firecracker purchases - which are then used to terrorize neighbor kids
biggrin.gif

I got a red envelop this year - a first since childhood. I personally have never handed out any though..

Gong Xi Fat Choi!

I still got red envelopes from my parents and families back home, when someone come here they will bring them
tongue.gif

I am planning to celebrate with my Sifu, my families and with other 250 party guests in our dojo. Please join us to have dinner (need reservation), watch acrobats and kung fu performance in Belmont, CA February 1,2003 at 6 pm. http://www.shaolinkungfu.com
You can see my sifu demonstrate Qi Gong power: bending 2 thick iron rods with his neck, throw chopsticks that can penetrate wood or metal (as seen on Taiwan TV show when he did it a few years ago for research on how Qi can blow up a metal), blowing up another end of thick bottle with Qi(yes, just like in the movie, no trick) and more.

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP :) -> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong :)

Back