HANDLING: NSX or M3

The BMW M3 (1992-1999 style) had always been known to have great handling in terms of feel. I was wondering if anybody here has driven one thorougly and would be able to provide their opinions on how the M3 stacks up against the NSX in terms of handling. When I say handling, I primarily mean "feel" and "balance."

I test drove the new M3 which I would imagine is a better handler than the one, and I can tell you that the NSX handles better. But that's not a shock as the NSX is lower, lighter, and has a mid-engine design -- all factors that would favor it over the M3.

My girlfriend has a 97 M3 coupe and I have driven it back to back with the NSX to compare. I think the NSX has a much more balanced and easily drivable feel to it, but I really have grown to love my NSX and feel like it is an extension of myself, where I want to go in corners is where the X goes... I have a lot more confidence in that car than most other cars I have driven. <br>
The BMW handling is light and responsive, allowing you to throw the car around turns which is a lot of fun when the rear-end pushes out, but staying on the gas allows enough control that it won't usually spin out (we also use it in SCCA solo races with Hoosier R3S03 tires). Under normal sporty street driving (with S03's) cornering is smooth, but there is a good amount of body roll when taking tight corners. The things I don't like about the M3 is weight distribution of the M3 pushes the nose of the car down in corners, and the driving position is kind of off set from the steering wheel which makes it a little uncomfortable to drive hard in corners.

In the new owners section there is a post by an M3 owner who mentioned he just test drove an NSX and you can read his comments on how it compared to his M3. Keep in mind, he owns and the M3 and only test drove the NSX. We all know how the longer you drive the car the better you get a feel for it.

Here is a quote from his topic.
///M3Dave said:
LoL...The NSX that I drove was totally stock with just an exhaust and nice rated springs. The thing is awesome in the slolom and and in turns. I run my M3 on the track at BMWCCA events. The way this NSX handled made my M3 feel like a buick. In the past I have heard from people that the NSX push too much in turns, after driving it myself that obviously came from inexperience drivers. Can't wait to get mine. :)

Here is the link
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20966

I have owned a 90 (e30) m3, 95 m3, 99 M3, and currently along with the NSX a 2001 M3, so first hand NO WAY is the M3 a better handler (especially on the track)!!!!!!

The 2001 is a faster car, but not a better handler and the E36's (95-99) were not even close to my NSX, not even with H&R coil overs....not a chance! Now a better long distance travel car....now you're talkin:p
Aaron

Aaron I agree - I through a fit when I saw that article :mad:
If BMW could make the M3 out handle any car then there wouldn't be much point to making 2 seater, mid engined, carbon fibre, aluminum, etc cars now would there?

What do you think about calling it the best handling 4 seater? The only other cars I can think of that compete would be Audi's RS4/S4, Jaguar S Type R, several of the Merc AMGs? The last two only come in autos though right?

My best friend owned an M3 while I of course have the X. The two can not be compared in my mind. The M3 was an incredible car for daily driving duties (until the snow hit) and was responsible enough to carry 3 more companions in absolute style and comfort. If the car was better in all weather situations, I would own one myself at this time.

But when you paired just my friend and I on the country roads, the smile never was able to leave my face. My friend would play the lead and show his M's hand at every high speed turn and twist. The NSX would always prove the better, to the point of raising jealousy. I will never forget my friends scorn by the time we reached town. Our other riding companions couldn't hide their smiles when they left the M's side to reevaluate what the NSX now presented.

There was a head-to-head comparison between the M3 and the NSX-T in the July 1996 issue of the CAR magazine. The article concluded that the NSX is the more superior performance car despite the fact that "BMW's new M3 out-powers, out-sprints, and weighs less than Honda's mighty NSX" ... "The Honda feels a lot more securely planted than the BMW ... The Honda also scores with those slicker controls, a more comfortable seat and an engine that manages to be still more euphonious than the BMW's."

Folks-

I own both a '95 M3 (21K miles) and a '95 NSX (31K miles). To be honest, I have never tracked either of the cars, so my opinion is merely an exprerssion of spirited driving on the street. To me, I feel that the M3 has lighter steering and a slightly softer ride. Turn-in in both cars is excellent, with the NSX feeling far more well planted with less body roll. Changing directions quickly is also something that the NSX does better. Overall, I feel more confident taking a fast corner in my NSX. Please understand, both cars are exceptional in what they were made for. As someone mentioned before, for longer trips, the M3 wins out simply because of its utility. Hope this helped........

Nev

I sold my 95 M3 to buy my nsx. the m3 was all stock with bilstein shocks. it was a great handling car, but the nsx has better seating position, view out the front, and the car/driver fits better. the nsx is a better driver's car, the m3 is a more practical car if you carry more than one pass. on regular basis. besides i feel like Alex Zanardi everytime i get in my nsx. :D

Last edited:
Ok, my opinion too? Well, I've owned a 95 M3 and a 97 M3. My 97 was lowered 2.5 inches on 18's and some bilsteins. I have to say I thought that was the best handling car ever!!!! That is until I drove the NSX. So yes, I have to agree with everyone here. But, I still have respect for the M3's as I still think they are great cars! In fact, I hope to own one again one day as a daily driver since it's so comfortable. :D

i actually have a bestmotoring video with the battle of E46 M3, 350Z, S2000, etc.....

the M3 was fast on the straights but in corners it was still not doing as well as the 350Z and S2000. i've driven the E46 and it's got tons of power but i've never taken it hard on the corners. i should try next time and see how it handles versus the nsx.

i think weight has something to do with it. in the video, the M3 was not gripping as hard as the S2000 on corners.

I daily drive a '95 M3 and compared to my NSX, I think the M3 is WITHOUT A DOUBT an easier car to drive for the average person.

I've been through 21 cars...and can pretty much determine how a car handles on the street pretty easily (on the track would be a different story).

I would choose the M3 for ease of driving on the street.

The M3 is very well balanced and very neutral with slight understeer. Excellent for the non-professional tracker. It is predictable, stable, and responsive. One magazine even stated that they wanted to see what was the smallest object that a driver of a E36 M3 would feel while driving over it....and it was a dime!

The NSX handles well, but comparing stock to stock, the M3 is more driver friendly since most are not use to the mid engine layout. the NSX also is dialed in with some under-steer, but with the throttle, you can be quickly into way too much over-steer. The car is fastest when loose.

Given that the drivers who track their cars use aggressive alignment settings, those settings are not suitable for daily street driving. I know that a NSX can handle excellent with the right suspension components and aligment settings, but I also know that the M3 can also acheive incredible handling stability once set up right. But I was basing my comparison on stock cars, and non modified suspension.

My friend Dale works at ground control and owns a '99 e36 M3...and his car is the most amazing handling car on the street I've ever ridden in. It's CRAZY! take a look at his car at the track.

I personally have never seen a car lift the front wheel in a corner...

Allen

Attachments

• e36 m3.jpg
    e36 m3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 486
X-TNSIV said:
Given that the drivers who track their cars use aggressive alignment settings, those settings are not suitable for daily street driving.
Sure they are - as long as you don't mind slightly more rapid tire wear.

ky650 said:
Car & Driver once said that the E36 M3 was the best handling car in the world... I wish I could find the article.
Regarding the original query, there are numerous threads here on Prime on that very topic, so you can use the search function to dredge them up. Regarding the C&D article, it appears that the 9/97 article has been moved/dropped at the C&D site but the relevant excerpts are below:

Acura NSX-T
Suave, cool, sometimes just a wee bit restless.
Exotic performance and user-friendliness used to be mutually exclusive terms. The NSX changed that when it appeared seven years ago. It was a culmination of all Honda had learned about handling at the time. Even today, it s clear that Honda has learned plenty.

Imagine a handling computer that translates every input into a smooth out-come. That s the NSX. The steering bends calmly into each turn. Cornering lines seem set in stone, requiring little or no correction. Sticks, tracks perfectly, sends clear messages to the driver, wrote Spence. Bumps are dispatched efficiently. Berg: Settles so smoothly after a jolt. The cockpit is similarly sophisticated. Csere: Location of the wheel, shifter, and dead pedal couldn t be better. Everyone liked the driver s seat. Webster: I left the Supra thinking it was comfy. Now, after a stint in the NSX, the Supra feels like my office chair.

All computers have bugs, though. In tighter turns, the NSX s steering seemed a bit too heavy. Some drivers found its body roll disconcerting. Seems to roll first, then change direction, noted Webster. Even though the rear end gives ample warning when it s losing traction, the body roll suggested otherwise to some drivers. The F355, a car with a similar layout, sent no such signals to the driver and was more confidence inspiring.

Which is likely why it scored ahead of the third-place Acura.

BMW M3
A flawless handler.
BMW s M3 is one of the least-expensive cars in this group. It s also the tallest and narrowest car and has the most-usable rear seat. Its first-place finish proves that superb handling does not require exotic-car packaging or exotic-car prices.

The M3 s cockpit works naturally. The driver s seat offers a commanding view of the road and the hood s corners. Hands fall instinctively to the steering wheel and shifter, as do feet to the pedals. Heel-and-toeing is possible, and a dead pedal is included. An adjustable steering wheel would have been nice, as well as more lateral support, but these issues didn t get in the way of our adoration.
The M3 possesses uncanny roadgoing ability. This is the most-agile car here. The steering eagerly bites into corners and is alive with feel. Constantly talking to my fingers, wrote Csere. It latches onto a line in corners as if on a mission from God. Webster: Rolls gracefully into curves at a constant rate and goes right where you point it.

The M3 covers for you. The suspension shrugs off bumps, swells, and off-camber depressions without upsetting the line. Not once did any driver cross it up. Smith: Overcooked a corner, and the BMW s forgiving nature made it interesting rather than scary. Even at the hairy edge of traction, the M3 is accepting of further driver input, which builds tremendous confidence. Unlike the NSX, the Viper, or even the F355, you feel free to explore the M3 s limits without fear that something awful awaits if you miscalculate.

The M3 is like one of those mules that pull tour duty in the Grand Canyon, year after year: It isn t capable of a misstep. This car lets you seek out its limits quicker and more confidently than any of the other cars here. If that doesn t make for a winning handler, we don t know what does.

Number9 said:
Regarding the C&D article, it appears that the 9/97 article has been moved/dropped at the C&D site but the relevant excerpts are below:

Even at the hairy edge of traction, the M3 is accepting of further driver input, which builds tremendous confidence. Unlike the NSX, the Viper, or even the F355, you feel free to explore the M3 s limits without fear that something awful awaits if you miscalculate.
I own both cars and couldn't agree more with C&D's quote above. Pure handling, I give a slight nod to the M3. Overall performance the NSX wins. In other posts I have said that a stock M3 is about 1.0 second a lap slower than a stock NSX, but the saved time is due to better acceleration, not handling.

Bob

X-TNSIV said:

I personally have never seen a car lift the front wheel in a corner...

Allen
Could it be that capturing the wheel off the ground in the picture was because it was snapped at the "right time" as it looks like he just came off the apron rumple strip just past the apex? If that is true, then capturing a pic of it with one wheel off the ground would not be that hard to do.

KGP said:
Could it be that capturing the wheel off the ground in the picture was because it was snapped at the "right time" as it looks like he just came off the apron rumple strip just past the apex?

No, drive the M3 hard at it will do it in every slow/mid speed corner. The front roll center is lower than the rear.

Bob

Attachments

• m3 race front.jpg
    m3 race front.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 330
Back