GT-R unveil, live today at 9:50 pm (pacific)

Hot car!
:smile:

1193060115287_842.jpg

1193060206214_795.jpg

IMHO the ugliest Skyline by FAR.

VERY HEAVY, LONG, and NO MANUAL tranny offered.

Almost all dealers selling for 25-50% markup.

They can have it.

Nice G coupe....

This won't be a collector like the NSX or Supras.

As a looooong time skyline enthusiast, and owner of GTST power (my RB25 powerd 240, ha!) this is my least favorite skyline. Ideally, yet strangely, I'd own an R32 GTR. However, the fact that Nissan is keeping the tradition alive is enough for me to accept the new model.

I agree with you osugrad97, not the skyline I would have designed.

Not sure what you guys expected. Too much dreaming I suppose.

It puts power to all 4 wheels, has nearly 500hp stock, is 6 cylinder twin turbocharged, and it competes with/beats the 911 turbos around most tracks for about 70k. You realize this car is cheaper than a new NSX right?

Each skyline was progressively more advanced technologically, more powerful, and heavier.

This seems to follow the trend well, except it has actually increased the power output substantially.

Anyone dissapointed with this car, besides the looks which is more or less meaningless, is probably expecting that 500hp 2800lbs 80k NSX that'll be here any day now...

I think the legend behind the GTR has to do a lot with the availability to the common man, and the ease of tuning. Consider the R32 GTR which today in Japan can be had for ~300,000 yen. Since the Skyline will always hold a special place in my heart, I am a bit disappointed by the fact that Nissan decide to build a super-car of sorts rather than an accessible sports-sedan. I would much rather the new skyline have 300 hp, and near infinite "tuneability" than a technologically sophisticated skyline that the average wrench-turner wouldn't touch fearing a voided warranty.

I think the legend behind the GTR has to do a lot with the availability to the common man, and the ease of tuning. Consider the R32 GTR which today in Japan can be had for ~300,000 yen. Since the Skyline will always hold a special place in my heart, I am a bit disappointed by the fact that Nissan decide to build a super-car of sorts rather than an accessible sports-sedan. I would much rather the new skyline have 300 hp, and near infinite "tuneability" than a technologically sophisticated skyline that the average wrench-turner wouldn't touch fearing a voided warranty.

Not sure how available to the common man any of the GTR's were, especially the R34, when they were new.

You cannot realistically expect any new sportscar to be to have 'ease of tuning' as one of its characteristics, not since about 2002 anyways. If you were dissapointed that Nissan built a supercar instead of an accessible sports sedan you have completely* missed the point. If you want an accessible sports sedan you need to buy the awd G35. That's the point of that car, and it even has 300hp. I think people are way too caught up in 'tuning'. Most people do not want to buy a new car they are going to have tune constantly. Tuning should be reserved for heavily modified cars with inadaquate EMS, not for stock 70k sportscars.

Your post helps make sense why some people are let down by the new GTR, they are extremely confused IMO.

I also expect the car to have a 6spd within the first year or two of production. I'm not even trying to 'defend' the car, I'm just giving it the credibility it deserves. I sure as hell wouldn't buy it without a proper 6spd either though, can't blame anyone there.

It puts power to all 4 wheels, has nearly 500hp stock, is 6 cylinder twin turbocharged, and it competes with/beats the 911 turbos around most tracks for about 70k. You realize this car is cheaper than a new NSX right?

Each skyline was progressively more advanced technologically, more powerful, and heavier.

This seems to follow the trend well, except it has actually increased the power output substantially.

Anyone dissapointed with this car, besides the looks which is more or less meaningless, is probably expecting that 500hp 2800lbs 80k NSX that'll be here any day now...

Well said. You can't please everyone...I'm just happy they're at least acknowledging the desire for this type of car. Honda...you listening?? If you're going to charge 70-80k, give it 450hp.

ditto! It's time for an amazing vehicle, and it's reality. So give it to Nissan to for setting the benchmark so early and keeping the price right.

Confused perhaps, yet I think any new S2000, Evo, or STI owner would argue the tuneability of their machines with you. Consider the number of backwoods Australian GTR tuners that have surpassed the 1000 hp mark. The traditional RB26 even through the R34 model years was essentially the same design as previous generations. My argument here really boils down to bought versus built. With the next generation GTR, Nissan shifted its market to a slightly more affluent demographic, one that is in fact satisfied with signing the lease to 500 hp rather than spending the time to take a lesser vehicle and build it to its potential. You are right that a 70k dollar sports car should not require tuning, but then again how many Skyline owners have tasted 500 hp and don't want to kick it up a notch more?

Please don't get me wrong, I am thrilled by the new GTR, it's just (once again) not how I would have designed it.

Started watching the show feed but got bored. Definitely looks nice though. But I'm not so sure how much I like the appearance, I think I might just stick with being on the waiting list for the m3.

Holy $hitballs. It's official...7:38:54 on the ring.

And it has back seats.

Ummm....wow. June '08 they say? :smile:

After seeing the conference, as an auto manufacturer, thats the GTR for Nissan. However, I'm just an enthusiast, so I hold to my original opinions. I realize I am a smaller portion of Nissans target audience, but I still feel left out....:-(

I like the proportion of the R34 than this up and coming model :frown:. The number is impressive... 10 years ago. But were heading into 2010 and are we suppose to be excited over this? Gas guzzling super car?

Don't call me green, just disappointed and thinking out loud :biggrin:

I still need to see this in a different color. Maybe black perhaps? Now that would look fearsome!

IMHO the ugliest Skyline by FAR.

VERY HEAVY, LONG, and NO MANUAL tranny offered.

Almost all dealers selling for 25-50% markup.

They can have it.

I dunno, the skyline has a long history of ugly. They were never lookers...just beasts.

I like the proportion of the R34 than this up and coming model :frown:. The number is impressive... 10 years ago. But were heading into 2010 and are we suppose to be excited over this? Gas guzzling super car?

Don't call me green, just disappointed and thinking out loud :biggrin:

"The Nissan GT-R is the world's most efficient supercar in balancing speed, acceleration and fuel consumption. It is also more fuel efficient than any two-wheel drive supercar of similar performance. Environmental performance is further reinforced by its satisfying Japan's ULEV (ultra low emission vehicle) standards.
'We have been able to achieve such commendable fuel economy figures,' says Kazutoshi Mizuno, chief vehicle engineer for the Nissan GT-R, 'primarily because of the extraordinary efficiency of the new 3.8-liter V6 engine and because of the excellent aerodynamic qualities of the car'. The automatic gear shift mode is also programmed to offer optimal fuel economy, so the car cruises in as high as gear as possible, helped by the astonishing torque of the engine. Economy is especially good when not driven energetically at high speeds - which is obviously the majority of the time for most owners."

Unless you go hybrid...it's just hard to have 480hp/awd and good fuel economy. At least it's ULEV.

Confused perhaps, yet I think any new S2000, Evo, or STI owner would argue the tuneability of their machines with you. Consider the number of backwoods Australian GTR tuners that have surpassed the 1000 hp mark. The traditional RB26 even through the R34 model years was essentially the same design as previous generations. My argument here really boils down to bought versus built. With the next generation GTR, Nissan shifted its market to a slightly more affluent demographic, one that is in fact satisfied with signing the lease to 500 hp rather than spending the time to take a lesser vehicle and build it to its potential. You are right that a 70k dollar sports car should not require tuning, but then again how many Skyline owners have tasted 500 hp and don't want to kick it up a notch more?

Please don't get me wrong, I am thrilled by the new GTR, it's just (once again) not how I would have designed it.

Pirate, I still think you are hiding in a parallel universe at times but I know you have a lot of respect for the skyline heritage.

How in the world can you possiblly know if the new GTR can attain 1000hp with the same work, less work, or more work than the old GTR? You are coming to conclusions before the argument has even been suggested! Considering almost every turbocharged car ever produced can gain roughly 25-35% more power by fully exploiting the stock turbochargers, if anything there is no reason not to expect this to be the same situation, except now that 25-35% is much greater than ever before. I have little doubt this car will have no* problem pushing well* over 600hp on the stock intercoolers, turbos, and fuel system. You can tune your R32's, R33's, and R34's all day long and they will not see more than 3/4 that power output on stock components [and that's probably being quite generous for all cars except the R34 GTR].

Give me a new supra, honda supercar, mazda supercar, and or a new mitsubishi supercar to compare it against and we can talk. So far we have no supra, a 2.2ltr 34k s2000, an RX-8, and that ridiculous MR Evo to compare it to. Skyline is looking pretty good. Even against the vette there is no reason to suspect it's superior or inferior to the c6 z06 at this point and that alone is an unbelievable acheivement just a few years ago we thought would never happen.

Back