• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

grinding going into second gear intermittent problem

I have a 2005 NSX with 15,500 miles that I purchased certified in Aug 08, and recently when shifting into second gear I have had problems, even when I double clutch. It happens more when upshifting to 2nd, from first, rather than downshifting. It happens both when cold, or warmed up. If I keep the revs over 4K, it usually shifts all right...I would take back to the dealer, but you know how it goes when you have an intermittent problem:smile:?
Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray

I would try slowing down your throw,and making sure your foot completely depresses the clutch each time you shift.Fwiw other owners of 05's have a somewhat baulky 2nd gear.

I have a 2005 NSX with 15,500 miles that I purchased certified in Aug 08, and recently when shifting into second gear I have had problems, even when I double clutch. It happens more when upshifting to 2nd, from first, rather than downshifting. It happens both when cold, or warmed up. If I keep the revs over 4K, it usually shifts all right...I would take back to the dealer, but you know how it goes when you have an intermittent problem:smile:?
Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray

This is typical for NSX's when cold (did it on both my '01 and '05), but after the car is warmed up in ten minutes or so, you should not have any grinding. I even had the clutch replaced on my '05 for this reason @ 2200 miles thinking this is not right. No change. I have heard some say it's a synchro problem.....I think it's just the way they are. No big deal for me.

It is Acura Certified car, take it in. Better be safe than sorry.

GM syncromesh friction modified. The rectangular bottle. The round bottle is regular syncromesh.

I went full <3 quarts of friction modified. Got rid of my 2nd gear grinds for good. Been...... over 20k miles now.

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36761&highlight=syncromesh

+1

The popular formula is 1 parts Synchromesh and 2 parts Friction Modified.

Of course if it is covered by Acura take it in. Grinding when going into gear is usually worn synchros or teeth on the hub selector.

+1

The popular formula is 1 parts Synchromesh and 2 parts Friction Modified.

Of course if it is covered by Acura take it in. Grinding when going into gear is usually worn synchros or teeth on the hub selector.

+1

works very well on some vehicles. Should increase syncro wear but will hold you off.

I would try slowing down your throw,and making sure your foot completely depresses the clutch each time you shift.Fwiw other owners of 05's have a somewhat baulky 2nd gear.

+1

Check this first before anything else. Since it is sporadic, you should be sure this isn't driver-error.

I believe many 04-05 models have a notchy 1-2 shift, but grinding is not something typical.

Enlighten me on the above bolded please. Increase wear?

I haven't heard that theory either. The formula is ostensibly a treatment for the symptom and not the disease but I'd also like to hear how the FM increases synchro wear while masking the symptoms of synchro wear at the same time.

Thanks everyone for your info and advise.....sounds like there is enough history to go forward.

Ray

I have had this issue on my '04 when cold. The solution is to first let the car warm up completely, at least 5 to 10 min. Then shift with two fingers lightly for the next 10 to 15 minutes of driving so as not to let the gears grind, they will slip in if pushed gently into 2nd without grinding if you use the 2 finger method. After 15 minutes, the tranny should be nice and warm and the problem should be gone and you can shift normally.

I also had the tranny fluid changed to the new Honda Transmission white cap fluid, I think it is all they sell now; that helped the overall feel of the shifting and lessened the problem but did not entirely make it go away when cold. I don't think it ever did it after the tranny was warm, namely the 1-2 shift, after the fluid change. Mine behaved this way ever since I got it at 6,250 miles over a year ago. Now there is about 15,000 miles on the car and it is fine as long as I practice the warm up procedure.

I have heard that all the cars do this but maybe it goes away after there are more miles on the car, mine seams to drive better now than it did when I first got it. Maybe it's an 04-05 thing?

Tytus

Ray, Take it Acura. If they say oh no problem found ( which they probably will) definately do the syncromesh idea. It works and will make the car shift much smoother. I have done it in all of mine. Very simple and easy to do also.

Enlighten me on the above bolded please. Increase wear?
I've heard this also 2 years ago when I bought my car. The previous owner had syncromesh with modifier in the tranny at the time and that scared me so thats about the time Honda's new and improved MTF hit the stands so I went that route. Not sure if it's BS or proven fact.:confused:

Ray, Take it Acura. If they say oh no problem found ( which they probably will) definately do the syncromesh idea. It works and will make the car shift much smoother. I have done it in all of mine. Very simple and easy to do also.
Brian,

I had Columbia Acura change the transmission fluid...drove around Montgomery with their mechanic driving, and couldn't duplicate. I'm still having the same problem, and really don't want to deal with them again, but it's certified! Do you think if you drove it, you could tell what's going on? Sounds like you are the man around here, and I'm driving my NSX less and the C4S more due to this.

Thanks,

Ray

All 6spds do it a little, occasionally. My 05 does too when it's cold. It'll be a miracle if Acura does anything about it, and in fact, if they crack open the tranny and start meddling, the sees-one-tranny-per-year technician is more likely to screw something up than actually improve the problem. Point is - It's an engineering problem, not a defect.

Last edited:
A common issue witht he NSX early models. I just match the motor rpm's with my road speed to smooth the tranny engagement from 1st to 2nd gear

A common issue witht he NSX early models. I just match the motor rpm's with my road speed to smooth the tranny engagement from 1st to 2nd gear

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with this being an inherent early model problem. It might be occurring these days due to the high mileage on many early model trannies but I cannot recall any reports of a shifting notchiness or grind on low-mileage NA1s or NA1s with recently rebuilt trannies. AFAIK the snap ring issue is really the only concern for NA1 trannies.

OTOH, I have heard many reports that late model--particularly 03-05 NSXs--have been experiencing this notchiness/grind from essentially day one leading me to believe that there is some kind of inherent engineering defect at work in many 02+ NSXs.

The bottom line is that it's going to be very, very difficult for an Acura dealership to sign off on covering an operation like R & R an NSX tranny based on the symptoms that are associated with this alleged problem.

In fact, I concur 100% with Ski that 99.9% of Acura techs are probably going to do far more harm than good once that case is opened up. The NSX tranny is no walk in the park--even for very experienced all-around NSX techs. There's only maybe 10 guys in the country I'd let rebuild my NSX tranny and I can guarantee it's not going to be any Acura dealer unless it's Cerritos.

The best bet is to try the Synchromesh formula and if that doesn't help the only other real option that you might want to consider would be a rebuilt replacement 6-speed tranny from a 97-01 NSX. That is, if you were considering rebuilding it anyway. These symptoms alone, while annoying, can't really justify a full rebuild of the tranny.

In addition if one does opt for the rebuild I would look into a replacement 6-speed tranny from a 97-01 NSX with a core exchange. While a straight rebuild may indeed work I wouldn't count on a rebuild of the existing tranny solving the problem completely since this seems to be a pervasive issue among 03-05 NSxs. It seems to me there's some engineering flaw that might not be able to be cured by a simple rebuild of the existing tranny. There might be a undetectable flaw in one of the trannies' major components that wouldn't ordinarily get replaced during a standard rebuild.

Back