Greencard(renewal)

ak

Legendary Member
Is anyone on this board with Greencard? I'm in process of Greencard renewal(actually my whole family) and we are having quite difficult time doing this. It seems that the renewal will take almost 2 years rather than the 1 year that they used to claim. Has anyone finished renewal recently? I'd like to exchange some info....

I need to get a greencard. I heard it takes a lot longer now also. How did you get yours? lawyers? or yourself?

Our family got ours 10 years ago(thus the renewal). The process is a lot tighter now due to increased demands and of course, aftermath of 9/11. We got ours through the lawyer but took 2 years or so...

why dont you guys apply for citizenship?

it'll be a lot easier.

it's been a lot harder now to obtain a greencard from an H1 status or immigration.

immigration is around 10-13 years. (believe me, my friend is still waiting for his)

H1 would depend on how aggressive your company is if they're handling the sponsorship for you.

the quickest way is to marry a citizen....get your greencard in 6 months or less...:)

>>the quickest way is to marry a citizen....get your greencard in 6 months or less...

This is not true. You must now be married at least 3 years before you can apply for a change in status. Many laws change yearly and every immigration situation has been affected by 9/11.

For ANY immigration question you should talke to a good attorney. Not just anyone, get some references. A bad lawyer or bad advice can get you deported - don't ask me how I know this!

Don't think the usual time-frames are correct either. The process of converting an I-140 approval to permanent alien used to take 3 months, now they are quoting 3 years. The BICS/INS office area you apply in makes a difference too.

GET SOME CURRENT ADVICE FROM A GOOD LAWYER!

Soichiro said:
>>the quickest way is to marry a citizen....get your greencard in 6 months or less...

This is not true. You must now be married at least 3 years before you can apply for a change in status. Many laws change yearly and every immigration situation has been affected by 9/11.

really? sorry to bust your bubble, but my wife and i were married after 9/11....in may of the following year to be exact and she got her greencard in less than 6 months.....

maybe we were lucky.....:D

I didn't realize there was any re-qualification to "renewal" each 10 years - I see that you have to re-apply, but I would have expected this was more of a formality than the rigors of the original application? (like renewing drivers license - if no blemishes presumed it would be fairly automatic)

I'm fortunate in that mine has no expiration! (Resident Alien vs Permanent Resident) :D

Blue Knight said:
really? sorry to bust your bubble, but my wife and i were married after 9/11....in may of the following year to be exact and she got her greencard in less than 6 months.....

maybe we were lucky.....:D
http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/faqsgen.htm#greencard
(Please note, your permanent residence status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day you were given permanent residence. For more information, please see http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

Did she maybe get a conditional card? This is only good for 2 years - check the expiration.

Back