great drives around the finger lakes?

Hi Guys, I want to get the local skinny on what are the drives recommended around the NSXPO region. I know there are some driving activities planned, and I'm sure they'll be great. However, I am very fond of going off the beaten path and am always interested in the best local drives in any region I visit. Maria and I may have some extra time, and I just want to explore options. I am not interested in departing from the NSXPO schedule, or creating an alternative activity; this is just a 'what if' curiousity... my usual criteria is low-traffic, scenic, twisty, elevation changes... where would you go? TIA!

will that be for the poker rally or the wine tour?

I'm still betting that some of the locals have their secret drives stashed up their sleeves... :cool:

Mark, as far as fun public roads your guess is as good as mine.As many times as I go to the glen,it is just that,a trip to and from the track!Take a look at maps of the region and maybe something will stand out as being particularly twisty :cool:

Mark,

I am sure once you arrive, we can find you some local maps to satisfy your needs:). We do plan on keeping you pretty busy though ;)

Looking forward to seeing you.

LarryB

Gentlemen,

Does anyone know what time the Poker Rally is scheduled to start? There's a few of us driving in from Toronto on Friday morning and wouldn't want to miss this. This is going to be my first NSXPO so I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks!

We hope to be on the road no later than 10:00 a.m. to be able to make it to the restaurant for lunch at the right time. We need to build in enough time to make sure that those who are bound to get lost can find their way. ;)

I live in the finger lakes area. The local road, in Ithaca, where most bikers/sports car drivers go for a long stretch of twisties is Route 327. I have spent many hours on this road with both a Ninja and my NSX. There is Zero room for runoff if one makes a mistake, so be careful. Watch out for the local PD too. Many miles of 10-45 MPH bends.

The wine tours are simply amazing. The wine is top notch and the views are spectacular. When coming down the main road into Watkins Glen NY you will pop up over a small hill and BAM you will be looking out over the entire lake. It almost feels as if you are sitting on the edge of the world looking off into heaven.

I think NSXPO will be a big hit up here. It seems as though summer weather is going to last well into fall. We had a very rainy summer and now the weather has just been beautiful here for weeks.I would still recommend bringing some sweatshirts or sweaters for the evening.

We hope to be on the road no later than 10:00 a.m. to be able to make it to the restaurant for lunch at the right time. We need to build in enough time to make sure that those who are bound to get lost can find their way.

Hmm, ok unless we leave at 5:30am, we're not going to make it for the Poker Rally :( I think it's a good 4 hours+ from Toronto, plus whatever time it takes to get through the border.

Has the lunch venue been confirmed (place/time)? If anyone has details, maybe we can aim to go directly there.

Arshad said:
Has the lunch venue been confirmed (place/time)? If anyone has details, maybe we can aim to go directly there.

The restaurant and time are still being finalized. We need to finish registration before the details can be set because we need to know a head count to tell the restaurant to ensure everyone may be accommodated.

thanks for the comments on the drives...

As far as Fri AM arrivals, why not just do the drive Thu PM and check into the hotel? Seems a small price to pay vs. the discomfort/danger of driving in the pre-dawn hours...

RichH said:
Danger in pre-dawn? :rolleyes:

My favorite time to drive. I call it the pre-idiot time to drive. ;)
See you guys up there.

Cheers RCH
Also the same time for the shift change for the local PD, 5:30 to 7:30 am. So most of the officers are at the station.

Back