Great anti-virus software, free!

I've been using Norton Anti-Virus for the last several years. But their annual renewal fees have gotten as pricey as buying the regular software, and the anti-virus software hasn't worked as well as I had hoped.

I discovered a free anti-virus software that works far better than Norton. This software is http://www.avast.com

The control panel looks very slick. The anti-virus definitions are updated automatically, just like Norton. Best of all, it also is anti-spyware, far more effective than Spybot or Ad-aware.

The software is free for home + non-commercial use.

Try it, if you're tired of paying for ineffective anti-virus software!

NsXMas said:
I've been using Norton Anti-Virus for the last several years. But their annual renewal fees have gotten as pricey as buying the regular software, and the anti-virus software hasn't worked as well as I had hoped.

I discovered a free anti-virus software that works far better than Norton. This software is http://www.avast.com

The control panel looks very slick. The anti-virus definitions are updated automatically, just like Norton. Best of all, it also is anti-spyware, far more effective than Spybot or Ad-aware.

The software is free for home + non-commercial use.

Try it, if you're tired of paying for ineffective anti-virus software!
thx for the tip... i use ad aware, norton and web sweeper, so would be interested in specific preferences over those - aside from fee issues - as well as any personal "saved my ass" occurances you experienced with avast vs ad aware.

thx again for the tip, looking forward to hearing additional feedback.
hal

queenlives said:
thx for the tip... i use ad aware, norton and web sweeper, so would be interested in specific preferences over those - aside from fee issues - as well as any personal "saved my ass" occurances you experienced with avast vs ad aware.

thx again for the tip, looking forward to hearing additional feedback.
hal
Hi Hal, I installed Ad Aware, and SpyBot with Norton on my wife's PC. Despite this, the laptop became infected with spyware, and Norton Anti-Virus also let a couple of virus through that should have been detected.

I ran a free Housecall.trendmicro.com scan on the laptop to clean up a couple of things, and then installed and downloaded avast home edition 4.6, which caught several more things, including spyware.

Avast has been highly praised by many technical people for its low usage of resources, and nearly 100% effectiveness, proven in virus tests over and over again.

There is a pretty good forum for avast also: http://forum.avast.com/

AVG is also good, but I have heard people who prefer avast over AVG.

Avast is not only effective anti-virus, but also detects and removes spyware far more effectively than Ad-aware and Spybot.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with this stuff...

I can't imagine how infected people's computers are who are naive to this stuff.

I'm an
Applelogo.jpg
guy... so i forget what viruses are

NsXMas said:
Hi Hal, I installed Ad Aware, and SpyBot with Norton on my wife's PC. Despite this, the laptop became infected with spyware, and Norton Anti-Virus also let a couple of virus through that should have been detected.

I ran a free Housecall.trendmicro.com scan on the laptop to clean up a couple of things, and then installed and downloaded avast home edition 4.6, which caught several more things, including spyware.

Avast has been highly praised by many technical people for its low usage of resources, and nearly 100% effectiveness, proven in virus tests over and over again.

There is a pretty good forum for avast also: http://forum.avast.com/

AVG is also good, but I have heard people who prefer avast over AVG.

Avast is not only effective anti-virus, but also detects and removes spyware far more effectively than Ad-aware and Spybot.
great feedback, thx very much - i'll load it tomorrow on 2 xp pro systems (with norton, web sweeper & ad aware) and report back my results as a point of reference.

got the note on crashing, too, thx - i'll pay attention to that.
hal
btw, to the mac user - i've got a g5 for home/photo/music use, but need the xp for work-related stuff. btw, i use vnc to access the xp via mac, using mac as my main display... not so bad a setup

Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edition already has built-in anti-spyware support, and it's VERY extensive. In a recent spyware review comparison I read, it was miles ahead of the competition.

I'm no longer a believer of Norton. Ever since it was able to detect but not remove the Trojan virus I've changed to McAfee. No problem since.

I've been using this really great anti-virus software....

Mac OS X.

:biggrin:

Keep a look-out...

Two virus'es, one week. Norton proved incompetent. The avast linked above identifies, isolates, but unable to remove the virus. Window's 'System Restore' was incompetent as well. Ultimately had to call MicroSoft PC_Safety twice (1-2hr calls), each time they went through a long protocol to rid the system of the virus in safe mode (this was all in the past week).

Specs:

Connection: Earthlink DSL, wireless router
Anti-spyware: SpyBot, Ad-aware_SE, Hijack-This
Anti-Virus: Norton's, avast!
Virus: SpyAxe (c://windows32/ghia.exe & other .tmp's)

If you have acquired a virus recently, google "smitrem.exe" and "smitrem". Down-load the .exe file and run it. It will remove certain virus'es that are prevalent as we speak.

2K6, peaceO'. . . :cool:

rickysals said:
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with this stuff...

I can't imagine how infected people's computers are who are naive to this stuff.

I'm an
Applelogo.jpg
guy... so i forget what viruses are

You probably used to love the fact that all the movies you wanted to rent in the 80's were always in stock for your Sony Betavision too!:biggrin:

Sorry, could not help myself!! :wink:

Back