• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Great American hockey player JR #97 retire

It comes time when everything changes... Today is just that day. Im very sad about it, but I could remember last february very well.
One of my biggest day. I dream to see some games & meet Jr since I was ~10 years old. Well, finally I meet JR twice and see few games of JR when I was vacation in Phoenix.

51673258.jpg

Thx for Coyotes team for giving to me opportunity to meet JR & other player twice.

Great time to JR & your family.
Hockey will miss you & real person, guy like you was!
Face of the hockey

-Pegi from Finland- :smile:

Philly favorite retires from NHL
By Tim Panaccio
Inquirer Staff Writer
A great, American hockey player and a Philly favorite bid adieu to the game, fittingly, on America's Birthday - July 4.

"I’m retiring; is that still news?" Roenick text messaged The Inquirer.

Jeremy Roenick, 37, leaves the game after 18 years.

He appeared in 70 games last season with Phoenix , scoring just 11 goals. He will leave the NHL needing just five goals to reach the 500-goal plateau.

His career spanned 1,252 games. He scored 495 goals, added 675 assists for 1,170 points, making one trip to the Stanley Cup Final: in 1992 when his Blackhawks were swept by Mario Lemieux and the Pittsburgh Penguins in four games.

Among born players, he is ranked third in goals behind Mike Modano (507) and Joey Mullen (502).

Roenick was a guy who poured every ounce of being into being a hockey player, having played through numerous, serious concussions and even a fractured jaw as a Flyer.

When the Flyers lost in Game 7 of the 2004 Eastern Conference final to Tampa Bay , Roenick sat in a dressing room and cried at having come so close to what would have been just his second trip to the Stanley Cup Final.

"It hurts so much," he sobbed.

It was the last game Roenick played as a Flyer. The lockout ensued that summer, wiping out the following season.

He spent three seasons as a Flyer, beginning in 2001. He was traded the summer the lockout ended to clear cap space for the signing of Peter Forsberg in free agency. His career moment here was his overtime goal in Game 6 against Toronto in ’04 that sent the Flyers to the conference championship against Tampa Bay .

When play resumed in the fall of 2005, Roenick got a new start in L.A. but had a poor season. He seemed to run out of gas in the desert last year and was unhappy with his playing status under coach Wayne Gretzky.

On the other hand, he has become an entrepreneur in recent years with his night club, the Muze Lounge in Scottsdale , and T-shirt business, both of which he plans to expand to the East Coast.

"We’re doing a booming business," he said in an interview with the Inquirer in March. "We’re going open up in New York City soon. We’ve got to back there and scout a location above 56th Street."

The former Blackhawk, Flyer and LA King and two-time Olympian, has been in the twilight of his career for a while now.

"I’m strolling into retirement with a smile on my face regardless of how things happened this year, or how much I played. I’ve beaten my body up to its biggest end," he said.

He was a player who could laugh at himself. Kissing a teammate on the bench. Gyrating to music during a stoppage of play on the ice. Shooting pucks at a cup of beer along the glass, then giving the patron money to pay for it after he knocked it off from inside the rink.

In the dressing room, he was known for his bombastic personality, dance routines before games, outrageous quotes, occasional whining, and his penchant for trading one-liners with anyone who was game.

Perhaps the most famous exchange of his career came with Avs’ goalie Patrick Roy during the Western Conference playoffs in 1996 between Colorado and Chicago .

After mocking Roy following Game 3 with a remark about the goalie adjusting "his jock strap" after beating him for a goal, Roy was asked for his reaction. The goalie simply grinned and replied, "I cannot really hear what Jeremy says because I've got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears."

Years later, Roenick recalled the moment in Philadelphia and laughed, "Yeah, Patrick got me."

He also said some stupid things. Upset that he wasn’t picked for the 2006 Olympic team that later bombed in Turin, , he went on television, ripped officials, and said he would be cheering to Team .

Roenick plans to spend more time his 13-year-old daughter, Brandi, who like her mother, Tracy, is an accomplished equestrian.

He has also said he’d like to try acting and sports broadcasting, both of which he dabbled in during the later years of his career.

Contact staff writer Tim Panaccio at 215-854-2847 or [email protected].

Last edited:
named my third kid after jr...
jeremy korbin jalnjr
27021JeremyRoenick_xlg.jpg

TDI20050302MB-16.jpg

dude was tuff as they get for the flyers, a good time guaranteed when he was on the ice.

jalnjr:
Wow, great :smile:

edit:
Im thinking the same when my time comes ;)

Last edited:
fighting as a barometer for a hockey player?:rolleyes:
dude's flat out entertaining s'all,
like a really bad splinter.

cl, wonder how ya do w/ a trainwreck slapshot??
jrfh8.jpg

YARLY_011.jpg

Back