Grand-Am Rolex Sport Car Series

Anyone watch or go to the Rolex Sport Car series races? I was watching the Daytona Prototype and GT Series race last night on Speed at Montreal (more like this morning) and it was an AWESOME race...

The Brumos Porsche team came within FEET of winning the DP class when they ran out of fuel and the AIM and Crown Royal Cask team passed at the last second to take first and second place...the finishing times between 1st and 3rd place was in the tenth's of a second range, if not smaller...

I was at the race at VIR and the pit teams were awesome and friendly. They let you look all over the cars (both the DP and the GT cars) and you could ask them anything. We got to meet drivers, technicians, team engineers, and even got a few t-shirts from different teams, including the Crown Royal Cask team...

The next race will be at Watkin's Glen.

http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/

Quote from the AIM team story:
"The next two races for the Rolex Series will showcase the Daytona Prototypes, running August 8 in the Crown Royal 200 at Watkins Glen International with the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and August 23 at Infineon Raceway with the IRL IndyCar Series. The next combined event for the Daytona Prototypes and GT classes will be August 31 at New Jersey Motorsports Park."

Anyone in the Tri-State area want to attend the race on 8/31 at New Jersey Motorsport Park? I think this will be one of the inaugural events held there as it just opened...

Last edited:
the end of that race at montreal was unbelievable, people scatterd over the track out of gas, leader running out of gas maybe 100 ft? from the 1 place finish and being taken over by TWO cars one on each side, i could not believe that, i thought he must have had the checkered by then, but nope:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

i really felt bad for him, that must have been really tough, about as tough as felipe massas engine blowing up today with like 3 or 5 laps left in f1 at hungary:eek:

Great racing, keep supporting the series by watching!!

Koni Challenge (Grand Am Cup) - the Rolex suppoer series has many of the same drivers and just as much action. Check out those races too! -the last race from Barber Motorsport Park aired a few weekends ago...

i love watching these races...too bad speed tv ususally puts a delay on the grand-am series and airs in the wee hours of the morning on the east coast (this race from montreal was till 4:30am), along with formula 1, which always runs early sunday morning.

Great racing, keep supporting the series by watching!!

Koni Challenge (Grand Am Cup) - the Rolex suppoer series has many of the same drivers and just as much action. Check out those races too! -the last race from Barber Motorsport Park aired a few weekends ago...

ill watch whatever speed lets me watch, i mean honestly does "unique whips" "pinks" "pinks all outtakes" motocross and nascar really get that much viewing?? especialy when its whored out all day every day, and whats up with that dirt car stuff, :confused:

they need speed 1- "not white trash channel"
and speed 2- "white trash edition"

ill watch whatever speed lets me watch, i mean honestly does "unique whips" "pinks" "pinks all outtakes" motocross and nascar really get that much viewing?? especialy when its whored out all day every day, and whats up with that dirt car stuff, :confused:

they need speed 1- "not white trash channel"
and speed 2- "white trash edition"

Hahaha I couldn't agree more.

We should write their program director.

I'd seriously find a regional spec miata race 25X more fascinating than unique whips. Even VW Golf's battling it out in conference would be a pretty significant step up in entertainment value from some of those shows.

Make sure to watch the Grand Am Koni Challenge race from New Jersey this weekend, Sunday 7th at 2pm EST.

Its sure to have an exciting last 10 minute battle!

I'm trying to get some De time at that track,what was you impressions at speed? I heard the track is dusty,and the "marbles" is pretty much anything off the racing line.

I'm trying to get some De time at that track,what was you impressions at speed? I heard the track is dusty,and the "marbles" is pretty much anything off the racing line.
Dusty is an understatement. More like fine powder that creates some of the worst dust clouds in terms of visibility that I have ever seen. With a bunch of cars going off track during a Grand Am Race, yes anything off line will more than likely cause an off. For a HPDE event, i'm not sure.

The track is very deceptive, the corners are MUCH faster than they look like on a track map, or even when you're about to go into the corner. Its a relatively high speed track that needs another few months for the grass to grow, and for them to fix some aspects of the track. We tore the track up pretty good last weekend which required them to lay concrete patches everywhere. All in all, I like the track, but its not ready yet.

Back