Gran Turismo 4 Paris and Las Vegas screens

I can't take this anymore! Just ship the damn game!

Here are some of my faves from Paris:

07.jpg

06.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

16.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

And here are my faves from the Las Vegas Drag Strip:

lasvegas_map.jpg

01.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
12.jpg
05.jpg
03.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg
04.jpg
13.jpg
18.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
27.jpg

Last edited:
Are those shots intro graphics or game play?

They look way too good for gameplay on a PS2.

thats actual in-game screenshots. its a little deceptive though, there is a 'photo' mode with higher resolution than in the actual simulation. its something most companies do when releasing screenshots its just not known because this is the first time i can recall of it being released in the actual game. has to do with the graphics engine and the way the colors are shaded.

this is the first time i can recall of it being released in the actual game

That sounds almost identical to what I said in an earlier thread I posted.

Yes, these shots are rendered by the PS2 using the game's graphic engine, car models, background models, textures, lens flares, etc. In other words, these screens do truly represent the quality of visuals appearing in-game. Polyphony Digital's artists are doing an amazing job.

In addition to higher resolution (and elimination of NTSC interlace artifacts), using "photo mode" to render screenshots allows for additional optical effects (depth of field, motion blur) that may or may not be possible during actual gameplay (at the very least, I'd expect to see them in replays). Again, these aren't being added in Photoshop...this is the Polyphony Digital programmers strutting their stuff on the PS2.

Are those shots intro graphics or game play?

It's worth noting that the bulk of GT3's intro was pre-rendered by GT3's graphic engine...figure that GT4's intro will do the same.

BTW, I find it amusing that PD has decided to include a drag racing mode...I remember how rumors started back with GT2.

The other thing worth noting in this latest batch of screens is that the spectators are now indeed 3D. Though they are fairly low-res, they are a marked improvement over GT4: Prologue's 2D sprites...and will look awesome as you're speeding by them at 200mph!

Last edited:
Here's a shot of GT4's Nurburgring Nordschleife:

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 374
When is the game due out??

I also have a question, you obviously know a hell of a lot about game programming so maybe you can answer this. Why is it all racing games have engine sounds that sound unrealistic. I mean they have gotten better, but they still sound "computer generated" Do they sample engine sounds? They never seem to have enough throat to them, everything sounds like a Japanese motorcycle.

too fast....please read my edited post :D:D:D

I also have a question, you obviously know a hell of a lot about game programming

Well, I do work for a game developer. Technically, I don't know a lot about game programming (after all, I'm an artist), but I know a lot about the technological limitations we game developers must work within.

I mean they have gotten better, but they still sound "computer generated" Do they sample engine sounds?

Ah, yes...a very easy question to answer. Here are the typical issues regarding sound in video games:

1) For many years, game developers have treated sound as an afterthought...a way of spicing up a game, but not a necessity. Heck, in the early days, there wasn't even much pressure for hardware makers to put quality sound generators in computers or game consoles. As you noted, things have improved a lot, especially within the last ten years (we've thankfully moved away from FM sound synthesizers and limited General MIDI wavetables). Now that we're in the era of multi-channel digital audio, I do think most developers realize the value of quality sound production. I would guess that anyone making a racing game would sample real engine sounds. Whether Polyphony Digital bothers to record sounds from every single car being depicted is a totally different question...there are more than 500 cars spanning more than 100 years of automobiles in GT4.

2) Streamed audio and MIDI are techniques employed by consoles and PC sound cards to manage digital audio playback. In the past, MIDI could have meant playing cheesy FM synth sounds or poor quality audio samples, but most gaming platforms now offer the ability to upload quality samples on the fly. In the past, streamed audio meant playing canned CD audio, but now its becoming more common to decompress compressed digital audio either into MIDI channels or directly into the audio channels. It's difficult to get a lot of interactivity with streamed audio, so typically music gets streamed while sound effects go through MIDI.

Though MIDI offers a lot of flexibility, it has inherent limitations. Shifting pitch of an audio sample higher unrealistically shortens the clip. Shifting pitch lower increases its length. If you've ever played with digital audio on your computer's sound card or used a sampling keyboard (composing electronic music is a hobby of mine), you've probably noticed this phenomenon. When you’re dealing with looping samples, this may not be as noticeable, but you become more aware of the loop point as the pitch goes up. Game developers use pitch shifting to simulate rising RPMs or the Doppler effect of a cars passing by. Unfortunately, car engines have different characteristics as the RPMs change that can’t simply be pitch shifted. To get around this, sound engineers sample the car’s engine running steady at different RPMs (I’d bet that Gran Turismo sampled the engines at idle, at some middle range, and at redline) and then cross-fade between these samples as the pitch shifts into their respective ranges. If this is done enough times, it should produce very realistic results, but….

3) Game consoles (especially the PS2) and many PC sound cards have a very small amount of memory dedicated to digital audio. Because of this, digital audio must be compressed or downsampled to bitrates and sampling frequencies lower than CD-quality. In Gran Turismo, keep in mind that sounds from as many as six different cars can be on screen at any RPM, so there has to be enough room for all of their engine sounds to fit in RAM at any given time…along with any environmental sound effects (road/gravel/grass/dirt noise, wind noise, tire screeching, fender crunching). Downsampling first loses the higher frequencies, the qualities that give sounds their brightness or percussive punch (it's especially hard on high-pitched percussion instruments like hi-hats). Reducing bitrates tends to reduce the richness (would translate to "throatiness" in car engines). Shortening the loops would lose low frequency variations that tend to naturally occur. Higher compression further diminishes sound quality. In other words, any of the above tweaks can make things sound more electronic…and all of these things are typically done to make sound fit within hardware limitations.

4) Where you "sample" the sound will affect how the sound is perceived. Placing a microphone inside the car next to the driver, behind the muffler, in the engine compartment...each position will produce a very different sound from the same engine. I'd bet that the Polyphony Digital sound engineers record the sound of the engine from the driver's position (for in-car view) and from behind the exhaust (for exterior views). There are things that can be done with effect processing that can help simulate these different locations, but the PS2 doesn't have many real-time sound processing capabilities. At least the PS2 can add reverb to simulate driving in a tunnel...

Last edited:
Not trying to go off topic, but that Calsonic Nissan is sweet. A local guy here in Grand Rapids owns one of those cars. I think when this game comes out I'll be buying a PS2 just so I can drive his car! :D

Those are great graphics on that game.

I love the shot of the '71 Cuda. :D

Back