Got to take a Shelby GT500 home for the night....

One of the few perks of working for Ford, I got to bring home a Shelby GT500 mustang last night.
Overall....apples and oranges to the NSX, they are just two completely different animals. Where the NSX feels like a precision tool engineered by NASA, the Shelby is more of a Louisville Slugger with a nail sticking out of it.
The Shelby is a big car, you sit high, the visibility is horrid compared to the NSX and it weighs almost 1000lbs more.
The interior...nothing too special compared to the regular mustangs. Although the seats are much better and more supportive.
The engine....:eek: Its just brute force. It pulls from any rpm in any gear.
In 1st forget about traction. 2nd will hook and take you up to 85 as fast as you read this sentence. The power curve is so flat and smooth, it feels like taking off in a really fast jet. So this really makes me want to SC my nsx now.
Handling....better than I thought an almost 2 ton car would do. Lots of grip from the tires, but a lot of body roll.
Brakes..the brembos on this car are awesome. Very impressive for a car of this size. A LOT of nose dive but very controled.
Overall...really impressive car...esspecially for 43K. That is as long as you don't care too much about cornering or a high quaility interior :biggrin:
But for now....I think I'll keep my NSX.

I saw a white one with blue stripes on the freeway this past weekend. The stance is pretty mean and I like the subtle changes that differentiate it from a normal Mustang.

Most Mustang buyers DON'T care about cornering or braking. Just straightline muscle and that's exactly what this car delivers. To the tune of 500 HP :eek:

blodi said:
The power curve is so flat and smooth, it feels like taking off in a really fast jet. So this really makes me want to SC my nsx now..

I think if you got a ride in a CTSC NSX you would be dissapointed in comparison to what you are writing about how the GT500 feels. There is a huge TQ difference.

Yea, im sure the powerbands are completely different. The shelby is just constant power. Where I imagine an SC'ed curve to be like stock, just higher.
One other thing I forgot to add is the attention factor. I got way more attention in the Shelby than I ever have in the nsx...maybe that just cause I am in the motor city. Not that I don't get attention in the nsx, but it really seemed to be a lot more consistant in the Shelby....maybe cause its big and bright orange with white stripes? haha.

I actually was waiting on a Shelby GT500 for MSRP (In Writing) when the NSX was sitting on my local Acura dealers lot. I made my choice, and am very happy. But there are times that a monster torque motor really hits the spot. Figure in a couple of years when the buzz dies down you can pick one up for 30K or so :biggrin: ........Steve

blodi said:
One other thing I forgot to add is the attention factor. I got way more attention in the Shelby than I ever have in the nsx...maybe that just cause I am in the motor city. Not that I don't get attention in the nsx, but it really seemed to be a lot more consistant in the Shelby....maybe cause its big and bright orange with white stripes? haha.

Great perks blodi! :cool:
I think it's the bright color factor :biggrin: j/k It really is an enthusiasts car in it's own right though.

Sounds cool blodi. Got any pics of the orange monster!? :biggrin:

ekin95 said:
Sounds cool blodi. Got any pics of the orange monster!? :biggrin:

Of course!

267069354_435db8d8a6_o.jpg

267069356_ce0b7de14d_o.jpg

267069357_a13dfeb0bc_o.jpg

267069361_f9fe8fd0bc_o.jpg

267069364_e9f142dde8_o.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I don't know if I like the Orange but blue/white would be really nice.

BTW I notice ALOT of brake dust on the front wheels. Hmmm:wink:

nsxsupra said:
Car and driver did a comparison test in July. C6 vs GT500. The C6 is actually faster even with 100hp disadvantage. Its a heavy car at 3900lbs, 500hp/480lb-ft tq. 12.9 seconds at 112 mph is not exactly impressive for a 500hp car.

You are right about the curve. This is the difference in curve.

The GT500 easily put down 438lb-ft of tq at the wheels. There is no substitude for displacement. SC 3.0L vs SC 5.4L. There is easily 170rwtq difference, however big chunk of the difference is offset by the 900lb weight difference, you also have extra rev to play with in NSX.

That was poor test IMO. Many people on the mustang boards ie Modularfords.com & svtperformance.com have run low 12's@115-117mph bone stock.

With a pulley, catback, filter, and tune people are seeing 11's@122+.

nsxsupra said:
Car and driver did a comparison test in July. C6 vs GT500. The C6 is actually faster even with 100hp disadvantage. Its a heavy car at 3900lbs, 500hp/480lb-ft tq. 12.9 seconds at 112 mph is not exactly impressive for a 500hp car.

I think anything under 13 is impressive for a street car. Look what our NSX do in stock trim, just barley under 14's so I've been told.

what a mean looking machine
i see a few here time to time
i dont care what ppl say that has got to be one of the meanest looking cars for the price

and that color is different i like it because u dont see many or any in that color

glad u had fun

S-TO-8K said:

The 5th gear review is really dead on about the car.
The guys tracking the car are damn good! I was way to afraid of it being so heavy and all its body roll to go around any corners with any sort of speed.

Back