got kids in pre-school / kindergarten / summercare?

(i took this off my "family & friends" blog today... it occurs to me that some of you may have kids in day care over the summer and that your daycare attendants be of the same mind as these young ladies were. heads up.)

"Returning home from my morning bike lap on the parcourse, I cruised through the parking lot @ the perc pond park. Imagine how surprised I was to see a group of ~20 little kids - pre-schoolers, I'm sure - sitting on the ground, surrounding a very bright, multi-colored parachute-thingie - IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DRIVE-THROUGH PARKING LOT!!!

Not on the grass. Not on the side of the parking lot. Not in the farthest corner of the parking lot.

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DRIVE-THROUGH PARKING LOT - AND CARS WERE DRIVING AROUND THEM RATHER THAN RUN OVER THEM!!!!

As I rode up to them (to exit the parking lot), I slowed down and said to the very young, bright-n-shiny young teenagers who were in charge of these kids:

"Excuse me, but you're sitting in the middle of the parking lot with these little children - do you realize how unsafe it is here with cars going by?"

"Yes, but the grass is wet." (No, I'm not making this up.)

With great incredulity in my voice, I said:

So let's see if I've got this right. You've parked this group of little children smack in the middle of the drive-through parking lot because you would rather risk their getting run over by a careless driver than getting their bottoms wet on the grass or finding another activity. Is that what you're really telling me, because if it is, I'll call the police right this moment and let them (and the parents of these children) help you make a better decision."

"We're sorry, we'll move them."

I said, "No need to be sorry, but remember, you've got someone's little kids here and both the children and their parents trust you to look after them and their safety."

I'm pleased to report that as I bicycled away, the kids were folding up the thingie and moving to the grass."

side note: just a couple of weeks ago, two teenage boys were run over by a car while they slept in the street in front of their houses. (no, i'm not making this up.) when i asked these girls if they'd heard about the boys being run over in the street, they both said, "yes".

common sense is very uncommon.

Thanks for making me even more paranoid for when my daughter starts preschool next month. :rolleyes: :biggrin: I'm kidding of course. Thanks for the heads up. Nobody will ever be as careful with my kids as I am. I'm sure that's true with most people.

Last edited:
Great job Queenlives. I have a son starting kindergarten this year and when I hear stuff like that it scares me, even when they are in private school.

Those kids run over sleeping in the court were not little kids they were at least 15 if I recall correctly. They suffered minor injuries but that is a tough way to learn that you should not sleep in the street!:eek:

Queen, was this actually something you did, or a post of something you read somewhere? I wish I could have remained that calm and cool had it been me. That girl would be out of a job at a minimum.

My son (hopefully) starts Montessori in Sept (we're on a waiting list) and while I'm pretty paranoid, after seeing the school and how they operate, I'm about as comfortable as I can be.

Queen, was this actually something you did, or a post of something you read somewhere? I wish I could have remained that calm and cool had it been me. That girl would be out of a job at a minimum.

My son (hopefully) starts Montessori in Sept (we're on a waiting list) and while I'm pretty paranoid, after seeing the school and how they operate, I'm about as comfortable as I can be.

it's what i did.

as for being comfortable with your child's pre / school / day care / summer camp environment, that was always a tough one for me. parents do the best they can in evaluating & monitoring their child's care facilities and then - wham! random $h*t happens.

many of us have said this a number of times over the years, but ya gotta do the best you can and love them every day. (uh, sorry... preachy mode done now ;)

hal

Back