Good used car for $3-4000?

• Thread starter Thread starter ak
  • Start date Start date

ak

Legendary Member
Hi guys, my gf is looking to buy a used car for less than $4000. Do you have any good suggestion for something that's reliable?? I was thinking 4G(93-?) Honda civic.

I love the Miata. They are very fun and reliable (182K+). You could probably find a 90 or 91 in that price range. Obviously, there is not a lot of space in the trunk, so this may be an issue. I don't mind driving it in the Chicago winters (it's been my winter car the last 4 years), but she might (it's rear wheel drive). Would she prefer something sporty or practical?

I also had an early '90s Celica. This seems to be a compromise between the Civic and Miata. It looks sporty (although it really isn't) and is quite practical. There are 4 Celica versions - ST, GT, GT-S, and AllTrac Turbo. The turbo is rare and out of your price range. The GT and GT-S have a 2.2L 4-cylinder. The ST has a 1.6L 4-cylinder. I would look for either a GT or GT-S.

Here are a couple of other cars you could consider:

90-93 Diamond Star Motors cars (Eclipse/Talon/Laser)

93-94 Mazda MX-6/Ford Probe (similar cars, the Ford is more sporty while the Mazda is more luxurious)

Just so you know, my gf is not that into cars. She needs something safe and reliable than fast and furious. Of course if it was up to me, I'd go with DSM or something similar...

Originally posted by ak:
Just so you know, my gf is not that into cars. She needs something safe and reliable than fast and furious. Of course if it was up to me, I'd go with DSM or something similar...

If its safe and reliable you want I can't imagine a better car (in your price range) than the aforementioned Civic. I have a '91 CRX with 174K miles on it (makes my '91 NSX with 114K miles seem like a new car)
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 09 May 2002).]

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
If its safe and reliable you want I can't imagine a better car (in your price range) than the aforementioned Civic. I have a '91 CRX with 174K miles on it (makes my '91 NSX with 114K miles seem like a new car)
biggrin.gif

Yeah. I have '88 MX6 GT with 153k miles and lasted me for last 4 years without too much problem.

Any well maintained Honda will be a GREaT choice.IMO I'mn sure others agree vertually maintainance free .Civic's are VERY economical..

Tell her to get a 91 Toyota MR2. Those things are bullet proof. You will get 70% of NSX performance for 10% of the cost.

I still think people should start calling MKII NSX jrs.

Originally posted by khuezee:
Tell her to get a 91 Toyota MR2. Those things are bullet proof. You will get 70% of NSX performance for 10% of the cost....

I just sold my '93 MR2 Turbo for $14,000.00. That's a little out of his price range (and yes I realize you said '91 not 93). Now if you are talking about the NA version, I would have difficulty with the "70% of the NSX performance" part.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

get a crx, i have one and they are really economical. maintenance is real cheap too. my 89 crx is on it's third engine, uh.. a lil nos..er..100shot..will do some damage. i guess i didn't learn my lesson the first time. but i wasn't worried about that. replacement engines are only $230 at K. Watanabe Corp. in southern california and they come with a 12month 1200 mile warranty. but before all this happened, i drove it across the states from coast to coast 4 times and several times up to oregon, which is where i originally bought it from. 3rd engine is actually a 95 civic Si 1.6L VTEC engine. bolts right up using your existing manifolds. had to fabricate a VTEC controller though. anyways , You Can't Go Wrong With HONDA.

Back