Good shops near San Antonio (Houston, Austin?)

So I'm about to have some major work done on my NSX, which will require AEM tuning etc... I've read about a great place in Houston but it looks like they had some personnel changes or something and were/are unreachable for a long time. Not confidence inspiring. Does anyone know of some good shops nearby? If not, I can expand my area but it would be nice to have someplace close in case I have questions/issues.

My clutch is also slipping like crazy, I'm going to have Gunn Acura take care of that unless someone has recommendations otherwise. I've had no problems with them, but I'd rather have someplace with supercharger experience for my future work.

For the AEM tuning I would recommend Justin at Tuning Concepts here in Austin (easy to Google). He's out of Texas for a few more weeks (in LA at the moment, then going to Saudi Arabia) but should be back around the 10th.

Whatever happened to independent, Arrowwood Acura, in SA? They are (were?) the service department from the defunct Arrowwood Acura dealership. Nice shop.

I need someone to do general work on my NSX whenever it gets here!

Thanks for the tips guys, the place in Austin has a another place nearby that does install work and they do tuning. Arrowwood I had never heard of, gave them a call but they're not interested in aftermarket clutch installs, so dealer it is for that. (I don't think I trust it going out of town like it is)

Unlemming,

Read my post today about my own clutch installation fiasco in VA. It is posted in the Southeastern section post. That double clutch plate must kick people's ass.

We should get together and compare notes. I live in Bandera.

I used to have all my work done by Augie at Gunn Acura, but he left a few years back and they didn't have anyone with any meaningful experience on the NSX. I did like the Arrowwood guys - I'm surprised they wouldn't do an aftermarket clutch job. Sterling in Austin was trying to attract the NSX crowd for a while - don't know what happened there. What about Tybrid in Austin? Ojas and Osiris know him well......although his shop scared the hell out of me, it was so ratty.

I believe Tyrone moved away from Austin a few months ago, so Tybrid is no longer an option.

unlemming, If you need AEM tuning, burbel’s recommendation is the way to go. Justin has a great reputation and tuned burbel’s NSX (which also has AEM).

You mentioned that another shop can do install work. Which one is this? Performance Motorsports?

Well...........I'll just have to hope that the dealership numbskulls in Virginia who are fixing their mess on my car-to-be get it right! A simple (ha) clutch job gone bad - all by the LARGEST ACURA DEALERSHIP IN THE WORLD. All that does mean dick, apparently, if a complex job is involved.

I think the Arrowwood guys won't do a clutch replacement for exactly this reason. That double-plate clutch must kick butts.

I think I'll go with Austin since it's a lot closer than Houston, the shop was Performance Motorsports too. Heard good things?

David McDavid in Austin on 183 has one of 12 Master Technicians specializing in NSXs. His name is Dave Chavez and is awesome. He'll do aftermarket parts.

So I'm waiting to hear back from both Justin at Tuning Concepts/Chris at Performance Motorsports and the folks at st00pidfast..Justin's a busy man and st00pidfast doesn't seem particularly interested in installing a basch SC. We'll see.

Anyway, is there a good place to do a dyno run in SA? I'd like to see where I'm at (preSC) if the price is reasonable.

I guess I can just have the installer/tuner do the dyno run since I don't think I'm going to tackle the install myself. darrr..

Well, everything is set up now (for the most part). I'm going to bring the car to st00pidfast in Houston for the install on Sept 5th. Should pick it up on the 13th if anyone wants to swing by and see it. I'm already excited ;).

Good choice on stoopidfast IMO. I was there last week with mine and they did some quick trouble shooting. Jason is very accomodating and particular.

Best of luck,

Ben

Back