Good place for engagement ring?

It is getting about that time and I wanted to know if anyone here has a place they really recommend or have some good connections to get a good price.

Thanks all!

more info, please...

hmmm, as w/ the NSX (acquisition or marketing it for sale), please provide w/ some further parameters...

eg. price-range, solitaire or cluster, certified or other, setting-type (gold, plat', etc)...
:)

I would recommend a locally owned jeweler, especially one who has an onsite goldsmith. This usually means they take their craft seriously, and are not just in it for the profit.

The four C's are important, but perfect is not necessary. Buy the largest and clearest (fewest flaws) you can afford-that is what credit cards are for:D

And no pink J-Lo crap!!!

My suggestion is to go to a few local jewlers (ones that do not do business out of the local mall), and see who you are most comfortable with. Discuss what you are looking for, and see what they have to say. That's what I did. And I was so impressed with two different shops, that I gave them both my business. One supplied the main cut diamond, and the other supplied the ring and all the accesory diamons, as well as my wedding band.

This is what my ring looks like:
11514.jpg

Here is my wife's ring:

Attachments

• b\'s ring 1.jpg
    b\'s ring 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
*gasp*

:eek: check orange bold type (FREUDIAN SLIP!?!)

(by the way, nice ring man...!)

poet_x said:
My suggestion is to go to a few local jewlers (ones that do not do business out of the local mall), and see who you are most comfortable with. Discuss what you are looking for, and see what they have to say. That's what I did. And I was so impressed with two different shops, that I gave them both my business. One supplied the main cunt diamond, and the other supplied the ring and all the accesory diamons, as well as my wedding band.

This is what my ring looks like:
11514.jpg

Here is my wife's ring:

Details:

1 carrat, platinum band, F, VS2.

Price range between $4-5. Bye supercharger :(

major gem show in AZ next month.

hmmm, I have family in the semi-precious and other gem/stones import-export (ie. onyx, marble, etc). One of the largest gem shows is next month in Arizona. (Tuscon and a little town called QuartzSite). In past, we've gotten cut gems eg. certified diamonds of 1ct and 2ct sizes there. Tremendous savings (def' a few G's), as the vendors are generally wholesalers.

Just food for thought...
:)

:eek: to my typo (now fixed). Not a slip, just a typo....

Her ring is .67c for the main diamond, and about .3c all together in the smaller diamonds that are in the little ramps going up to the main diamond. The diamond cost me $4000, and the ring (white gold) another $500. The diamond is absolutly amazing. great cut, no visible flaws without heavy magnification, and perfect color and clarity. I was lucky to find sucha nice diamond. To me, it was worth every penny.

whiteNSXs said:
Get your CTSC. Buy a 1 carat perfect cubic something for her. Now everyone is happy.;)
Steve

LOL. Now that is funny. Unfortunately that won't fly. Ya got to buy all the toys before the ring, (M3 racecar in this case) then after she get's it she's so excited about the ring, she forgets about all the money spent on the other! Food for thought! ;)

Well, let me be first to say congratulations!

I am sure we all expect an invitation to the reception! (have you thought about a nice road course wedding?)

:D

Congratulations. I remember going through this a few years ago. I would suggest you learn as much as you can about diamonds. I studied for months. It's a lot more than the four C's.

For example, consider the types of cuts for the stone and how it will look on her hand. My wife for example is an ex-ballerina and has long thin fingers. For that reason, I wanted a special type of cut that would compliment her hand.

Also, have you noticed how some stones really sparkle? This is due to the way the stone is cut, and consequently how the light is refracted. Even today, my wife will point out how much "fire" here diamond has.

Learn to use a loop to view the stone. I ended up using a diamond broker out of Nevada, and I live in California. He would bring me diamons to view. In fact, it was wierd because I would meet him in these non-descript buildings with no signs, but lots of barbed wire around them. He would let me view the stones with the loop in the building, outside the building with the loop in the sun, and under the microscope.

Spend as much as you can to afford.

All the best to you and your bride to be.

Regards,

Doug

I say just learn enough not to get ripped off. It's just a rock that comes out of the ground:D

I would also tell you go for size rather than color, etc. We ALL know size matters:D

BTW congrats

hlweyl said:
I say just learn enough not to get ripped off. It's just a rock that comes out of the ground:D

I would also tell you go for size rather than color, etc. We ALL know size matters:D

BTW congrats

I disagree. Personally, I like better quality and color than size. My husband bought me a very nice diamond in a smaller size that he could afford at the time. I still have people tell me how much my ring sparkles. JMO.

Netviper - Do learn as much as you can about diamonds. Cut is very important as Dtrigg mentioned. If the diamond is cut too shallow or too deep, it will not "sparkle" as much because of the light infraction. Also, Color is important. As long as you stay around G-H the color is very nice. When you start getting higher than that, you can tell the color is not as nice. Next is Clarity. You do not want anything that is I or above. Basically, the clarity scale begins with flawless then goes to VVS, then VS and then SI and I. I would try to stay with the VVS or VS, but SI is okay. Last is Carat, which I think is the least important of the four C's. I would suggest finding the best Cut, Clarity and Color and find out what size in the better quality diamonds you can afford. However, if your girlfriend is into bigger is better, than I guess you would want to pick out a size and then cut, clarity, and color to go along.

Anyways, Congratulations and I hope this helps you in your search for a diamond.

This is the ring I got from verragio a couple of years ago, but I got an emerald cut diamond instead of this funky thing. They are an excellent designer and I would recommend them for looking for styles and designs. Then you can take what you want to a local jewler and they can make it for you much cheaper. If you know anybody in the jewlery business, they can buy the diamonds wholesale and sell it to you for much less than going to someone you don't know. There is such a huge mark up on diamonds. I found it much cheaper to buy the diamond seperate from the ring when going through a buddy.

I forgot, their website is www.verragio.com and I believe they are a designer out of New York. Good luck.

Attachments

• e164x1[1].jpg
    e164x1[1].jpg
    11 KB · Views: 143
Way back in the summer of 1999, with my girlfriend always blabbing about how beautiful Oprah’s diamond earrings were, I started looking for a ring and read the book “How to Buy a Diamond: Insider Secrets for Getting Your Money's Worth” by Fred Cuellar.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-3348919-1021658?v=glance&s=books

My girlfriend and I were so impressed with the book we made an appointment with the author and flew to Houston from Florida to meet him. Looking at the photos on the wall in the waiting room, my girlfriend nearly fainted when she saw a picture of the author with Oprah. He had supplied her earrings. He told us that if we allowed him a couple of months, he could look through the arriving uncut stones and possibly pick out something better than our minimum requirements, for the same price as our minimum. So I paid what I thought was a pretty good price for our minimum requirements. Two months later he called and told us that the stone he had picked, once cut, was actually much better than they originally thought. The final cut stone was a bit larger, a D instead of the E-F we specified, and VVS2.

I was always kind of skeptical that the stone was really all that the certificate said it was. But two years later, when the ring was re-appraised during the divorce, I realized that it was a fantastic bargain! So I highly recommend Fred Cuellar in Houston.

Last edited:
hmm...If I remember correctly my friend (jewelry owner) had a couple of 1 carat diamonds for $1500.00, cash only. I believe it was between D-E and VS1-VS2, I'll have to verify on the cut/clarity when I go there this week.

Back