Good machine/exhaust shop in long island?

I just got a set of NA2 headers and want to have the flanges resurfaced flat and ports cleaned up prior to install (the OEM weld beads really do interfere). I am originally from Rochester, NY, where there are many excellent machinists who will do this sort of thing for a hundred bucks with a smile and a handshake. I now reside in Nassau county Long Island, where the shops are used to millionaire F-car owners who write blank checks and they could care less about helping you out with a small job like this. Does anyone know if there are any small shops on Long Island (maybe out east) that would do this kind of job for a decent price?

Paul

I just got a set of NA2 headers and want to have the flanges resurfaced flat and ports cleaned up prior to install (the OEM weld beads really do interfere). I am originally from Rochester, NY, where there are many excellent machinists who will do this sort of thing for a hundred bucks with a smile and a handshake. I now reside in Nassau county Long Island, where the shops are used to millionaire F-car owners who write blank checks and they could care less about helping you out with a small job like this. Does anyone know if there are any small shops on Long Island (maybe out east) that would do this kind of job for a decent price?

Paul
Hi Paul
I just found this guy who is doing my exhaust welds. He comes highly recommended and is an old school hot rod perfectionist. Several people routed me his way after I was searching for an excellent welder/fabricator that has been building street rods and customs from the ground up for many years. His name is Randy Bianchi and he is an independent custom shop who takes his time and does it right. I will let you know later in the week when I get my system back how everything turned out. Only catch, Bergen County, NJ .... right across the GW Bridge.
Rich

Got the exhaust back today and I installed it. Beautiful job. Tips line up perfect as if factory stock.
This guy Randy is an excellent welder and fabricator. He did not have my car there and knew how to do this. He used calipers, set exhaust up on jigs for the cuts and fitting, etc. He said, in all his years he found that you cannot eyeball these setups to have them appear even.
I would use him again. It is more of a machine shop type setup and it is just him. Down side, you need to bring the stuff to him and not the car. He has little square footage in there and no lift. Real independent old school perfectionist though.
If you are "fussy", don't mind removing parts yourself, he's your man.

Thanks for the feedback, Rich. This guy sounds like a good choice for what I want to do. I have a call in to LarryB, who is going to do the install, and I know he has his own machinist up in Warwick, so I'm waiting to hear back about that. If Larry tells me to get it done myself and just bring him the headers to install, then I'll reach out to Randy.

Back