Good deal or not? 97 NSXT (salvage) with 110k for $24K?

I have a line on a 1997 NSX Targa with 107k miles on it. Just ran a carfax, and car had an accident in AZ in 2/2004. Then afterwards junk title was issued, then a rebuilt title, and then a salvage title was issued in AZ. Then the car was issued a clean title in CA (title washing). So, the CA title is clean, but it has a salvage in its history. To me, it is a salvage title. Then owner was just as surprised as I was after I ran a Carfax.

He had it financed through a bank, and I would have thought the bank would have run a Carfax before they financed but I guess they didn't. I have him down to $24,000. He sent me pics of the car and it looks beautiful. But I am concerned about the accident history. I was going to drive it around for awhile and sell it for a small profit.

Is 24k too high?

Would you even buy a salvage title car?

John

I need an answer quick because I am going to fly out tomorrow (9/18, My Birthday!!!!) to check it out. I don't want to spoil my birthday by buying a bad car.

John

I need an answer quick because I am going to fly out tomorrow (9/18, My Birthday!!!!) to check it out. I don't want to spoil my birthday by buying a bad car.

John

Drive the car, take it to a mechanic down there. If the salvage title is without frame damage, it is actually a good price. Considering the 1997 cars are going for $38k or more.

If your goal is to flip it for a profit, forget it. To me, it's priced at the high end for the miles and fact that the salvage title will always be in its history. If you want an inexpensive daily driver, get a detailed PPI and maybe even a separate visit to a frame shop to really look it over.

if your goal is to flip it for a profit, forget it. To me, it's priced at the high end for the miles and fact that the salvage title will always be in its history. If you want an inexpensive daily driver, get a detailed ppi and maybe even a separate visit to a frame shop to really look it over.

+ 1

It will boil down to, Frame damage:frown:, move on. Cosmetic damage:rolleyes: take a detail look at panel colors and alignment.
What are you looking to use it for? Daily driver, weekend cruiser maybe a track rat??

mileage is a little bit high. so try to lower the price more.

if you know what mileage the car became salvage,it will be great.

but need to be careful. test drive at least 2-3 times. ask maintenance record. also, deep inspection.

get a PPI from acura, 24k for an na2 is a good price IF it doesnt have substantial damage, stay away from any frame/suspension damage, check which body panels still have the matching VIN's, but the acura ppi will tell you the most info

jUMP ON IT, IM A DEALER AND THESE ACURA'S (MEANING ANY NSX,ANY CONDITION)ARE UNTOUCHABLE AT THE AUCTION AND SELLS LIKE HOTCAKES TO OVERSEAS, BUYERS BECAUSE A SALVAGE TITLE IS MEANINGLESS TO THEM.

Any type of damage from a collision would really deter me from a purchase of a performance car like the NSX. It's so tightly wound and the tolerances are a lot less vs. a standard sedan that any tweak to the body would be much more noticeable.

It's almost impossible to accertain such damage in 1 or 2 test drives. You'd need to drive it everyday for a week to notice problems from a lose this or a misaligned that.

If you're willing to use it as a daily driver and it's been structurally compromised then it's just sad cuz you won't have the true NSX experience.

If it's salvaged from theft or a flood then i'd use it as a track car... but at 100k+ miles? $25k is still too much for me. I personally would buy a different track car for $25k.

My $0.02. Drive a few NSXs and really get a good feel for the car. It's only then you'll be able to acertain. Then again... i tend to play it on the safe side and have lost out on a few good opportunities!

Good Luck!

Back