Going to check out my first NSX

My brother was buying some used construction equipment off a guy and noticed an NSX in his driveway. Turns out he is the original owner and is just starting to think about selling it. The car has approx 51,000 miles, it's a Red 1991 5 speed, the paint is peeling, tires are half flat, has been sitting outside and hasn't been started in 6 years. That's all I know so far. If there is any chance of getting it for short money I'll buy it and try to bring it back to life. I'll post the results as soon as I know.

Tim

Low miles, but sitting outside and it doesn't sound like it was maintained.

If you can get a PPI and get it cheap. The guy won't get anything for a trade on it in the condition it sounds like it is in at this time.

Edmunds for rough came out to $15,992 trade-in value, $16,686 private party and $17,768 in rough condition for a 91 with 51,000. It looks like it would be $25,798, $26,734, & $28,295 if it was a no problem car.

A nice paint job will cost you. Shawn is one who would know the going rate.

Plus if it is that rough, I could only assume there will be other maintenance conditions.

This sounds like it would be one of those labor of love, hobby type, of project cars.

I can only guess if the paint is so rough that the leather seats would be all dried out too.

Keep us posted!

If you don't buy it, maybe Shawn "Save the NSX's" would want another project. To add to his Build Threads. :smile:

I just can't understand how people can treat these cars like that. Fine if you can't afford the maintenance then park it in the garage and save up for it...but to just leave it outside. Its really sad. I would walk away if I were you unless you wanted a resurrection project. If the owner couldn't even park in a garage or storage room, and take care of tires tells me that this poor car will cost some money to bring it back to spec...not to mention the paint job.

It all depends how low he goes, definite candidate for a PPI if there ever was one.

If you got skills and people in the right places to help you get the work done, it can be a worthwhile venture. There is a "basket case" down in the VA area that we have been looking at that is sort of in a similar boat.

Good luck to you and don't let the owner talk you in to a crazy high price!

PPI a must. Be careful.

I bought my '94 (sight unseen, shipped) with 108,000mi, well maintained, near flawless paint, one owner. I got it for for $25,000. Immediately had to put $12,000 to repair/replace things that it needed. It also had signs that it sat for a while. (but not 6 years!!!)

The mileage is nice on that '91, but pay attention to ALL the rubber: hoses, gaskets, boots, mounts, seals, tires (as you mentioned), belts, and anything else that will need replacement. It adds up.

Like mentioned before, if you want a restoration/labor of love, and have the extra $$,$$$... Then go for it.

My thought/experience, walk away, maybe find another one.

With TWIN TURBOS!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Heh,heh!

=DREW=

Subscribed to see results. Hopefully you pick it up cheap and bring her back to life.

I'd buy it if the price where right.

It's going to be a pita in the beginning but still....
Certain issues
WP Timing betl
Coolant hoses
Battery
Rubber flex hoses
All fluids

Possible issue:
Sized calipers
Rotten brake lines
Ball joints
Shock absorbers
Clutch lines and cylinders
Brake cylinders & modulator
Crank pulley
Leather issues on seats
Brittle plastic clips and moudlings

Last edited:
Timbocool, since you are a first time poster I'll spare you the Prime lingo and acronyms.

$15,000 or less price-point since you must plan on dropping $5,000-$10,000 in rehab depending on whats wrong with it, including a decent paint rehab/respray. Check the transmission number against those in the snap ring range on the Prime Wiki, the VIN does not tell you the trans number, you have to take a flashlight and find it in person by peeking down there.

Given that it presents as being parked outside and neglected for 6 years, AS Motorsport's laundry list of issues is spot on...

PPI = Pre-purchase inspection by a qualified NSX technician.
Tell us where the car is generally located and we can point you to the best nearby tech.

Given that it sat for 6 years, expect the fuel to have gone to varnish and thus the vehicle will probably not start. If you do try to start it, you might end up clogging the injectors and lines with crud. Leave the mechanical inspection to a pro, unless you happen to be a talented NSX mechanic, since this one sounds like its definitely a rehab vehicle that needs some TLC and your money. :rolleyes:

Cheers

"Sitting outside" has a different meaning if it is Santa Barbara versus Boston.

We love our NSX's on here but tend to look down our noses at poor old cars that have hit the skids (not you, Shawn:biggrin:). Rightfully so, I guess.
That said, there is something satisfying about taking a marginal vehicle and putting it through your own rehab until it comes out a jewel. That's what I did. You get familiar with your car really fast.
Just pay heed to the advice here and go in with your eyes open. Some repairs are expensive enough to break you.

we love our nsx's on here but tend to look down our noses at poor old cars that have hit the skids (not you, shawn:biggrin:). Rightfully so, i guess.
That said, there is something satisfying about taking a marginal vehicle and putting it through your own rehab until it comes out a jewel. That's what i did. You get familiar with your car really fast.
Just pay heed to the advice here and go in with your eyes open. Some repairs are expensive enough to break you.

+1.......

Well, here are the results so far. The owner thinks he may want to get it running and paint it before he sells it. It needs a whole lot more than that though. Will need all new weather stripping / gaskets, brake work, gas is all varnish smelling, condensation in the tail lights and front parking lights. The windshield is cracked, leather seats are split and the passenger side has a light side swipe - that's pretty much all the bad news. The good news, it is a one owner, mileage is a hair over 54,000, he has all the books, keys, a tech manual and a spare set of floor & trunk mats. the transmission number is below the bad range of numbers - last 4 digits 2918 or 2910 couldn't see it real clear. I told the guy I would take it as is but he may not like my offer. We'll see what happens. I've restored cars in the past so I know pretty much what I am up against, the biggest issue is my 52 year old body. I have a friend that is a former lead mechanic at my local Acura store so he can help when things are out of my league and I will need to find a good body shop that deals with aluminum. Some pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 486
OMG you poor, neglected JH4NA1151MT002085!
crying.gif

wow, sad to see it like that. someone buy it and get it back up to par quick!

WOW...I'd buy it.

Get it cheap and put some work in it.

I know a lot of you guys on here are concerned about the price of rehab, and rightfully so, BUT, to the right person, for the right price, this car could be a GEM!

Offer him 7-10k and you will be on the right track, it's not bad just needs up to date service and a serious detail for now

I think a good detail from a great detailer would help that paint out a lot. It doesn't seem like the clear coat is missing.

The pictures do not show how bad the paint is - it is peeling off both bumpers, the passenger side rear quarter, the mirrors etc. some of it is down to the primer. There is no buff & wax that will save this paint. :frown:

Back