Going to check out a yellow 97 in San Diego, any thoughts on worth?

I've been looking for a 97-01 NSX for about 2 years now, and I finally found a good one close. My plans for the car are weekend driver and occasional track days.
A software guy by trade, but I'm a pretty competent mechanic--I normally work on VW/BMW/Porsche. I can rebuild motors and weld and do all of that sort of thing so minor mechanical issues don't bother me. I just want an NSX so I don't _have_ to do that every weekend :)

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/2832170149.html

Here is the ad, but the price seems high to me for the miles. Obviously KBB is pretty worthless in this situation, but what do you guys think?

There are 2 problems with the paint, the front bumper has a largish spot when the paint is peeling off next to the Acura symbol where the PO spilled some solvent and the rear bumper has a ~4 inch crack in the paint.

Assuming everything else is decent, whats a good price range for this car?

Has anyone seen it?

thanks!

Last edited:
I would recommend doing some market research on the marketplace here and on autotrader and try to find out what similar year cars are selling for with similar miles. Its always tough to pull a number out of the air.

Good Luck!

I have a good idea, I've been looking at buying for at least 2 years now, but not really being "in the scene" all I can see is what people are asking, which can be quite far off as to what people are actually paying :)

I feel it's a bit high too, and it gets worse :(

I just got a carfax on it and there was an accident with 'structural damage damage to front' in 2003.

The current owner was not aware of it, so I assume the repair was done pretty well. Rest assured I will be looking over the front end with a fine-toothed comb.

Considering this, I don't think the car would be worth more than 35k, but I'll have to see what condition the whole car is in.

Wow that pretty high but their happens to be a shortage as of lately.

Also going to check out another one this weekend here:

http://tinyurl.com/75pz7ht

Though it does have ridiculously low miles, the guy says he kept it on a trickle charger and didn't drive it much. I know seals and belts and hoses go bad and gas turns to varnish, leaving deposits and crap in the fuel system when a car hasn't been driven.

He says it has sat for periods of time, I'll ask how long but I can only assume for months at a time.

How well does the NSX tolerate sitting and not being driven?

I think the yellow 1997 is significantly over priced. I paid $43K for my 97 four years ago and it had 23K miles.

The 2001 is probably well worth looking at. I think sitting might not be much of an issue as long as it didn't go YEARS without driving it. It has very low mileage and a one owner car is not common.

No matter what, do not buy a NSX without a professional pre purchase inspection by a mechanic that knows NSXs. Should cost < $150.

Looked at the yellow one today and it needed a few too many things for my taste.

However I'm getting the 2001 :) It was in absolutely perfect condition, and except for the color (silver would be like my 2nd choice) it's what I've been looking for for 2 years, so I'm pretty happy.

I'll post pics when i pick it up this week :cool:

wow, congrats on your purchase. Your patience has paid off :) post pictures when you get a chance.

Looked at the yellow one today and it needed a few too many things for my taste.

However I'm getting the 2001 :) It was in absolutely perfect condition, and except for the color (silver would be like my 2nd choice) it's what I've been looking for for 2 years, so I'm pretty happy.

I'll post pics when i pick it up this week :cool:

Very nice find. Was there any maintenance history with the 01 NSX? The reason I ask is that if the timing belt and water pump have not been done you'll need to have it done as soon as possible. I went through that with my 01. It's just something extra to pay for after you've dropped a bunch of money on a car. If you have not reached a deal with the person selling you may be able to knock a couple of thousand off the price. Worth a shot. Make sure you post pictures.

thanks I will post a thread with tons of pics when I get it :)

I did know about the timing belt and I plan on replacing it myself really soon.
All of the other belts and hoses that I looked and and felt were in very good shape. No cracking or dryness or anything. No hardened, leaky seals that I could see.
The timing belt will basically be my first wrenching on the car after I change the coolant and oil and brake fluid. I've read the PDF on replacement and it seems pretty straightforward.

Obviously it's important to replace the t-belt with age and miles but from reading a lot it seems like it's a pretty robust part that would be okay if it happens to get run longer than it's interval.
Basically I'm not worried about it snapping on the drive home is what I'm trying to say heh

The thing i'm worried about most is scratching the paint on the fenders or in the engine bay when working on it! I've never had anything close to a new car before so it's weird to me to work on something not caked with a layer of grease and road grime! :biggrin:

It's defiantly a preventive maintenance issue and you could probably drive the car for the next 10 years without replacing it but if it breaks you've got an expensive paperweight on your hands. Sounds like you've got a good handle on what you need to do. I was too afraid to try and change the TB/WP on mine myself. When do you pick up the car?

Did you ever get the car? Make sure you post some pictures.

Back