going to buy a 95 NSX. help me out with some ??? please

I am looking at a 1995 NSX with 58,000 miles, 1 owner, no wrecks, new clutch, T-belt, water pump, in perfect shape. my question is there any major issues to look out for when it comes to the 1995 models considering it was the first year of the targa?? thanks, Zach

Be sure and get a pre-buy inspection by either a NSX owner or your local Acura dealer. It will be worth every penny. I had a 95 and didn't have any issues with the Targa or anything else for that matter. One big thing is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.
Good luck and enjoy...
Terry

Why do so many low mileage NSX's have clutch replacements?:confused: I would also have it thoughly checked for freon leaks. I'm not sure what year it was corrected but earlier models had evaporator problems which I understand is a very pricey fix.

I bought my 95 with 56K miles and an almost new clutch. 2 1/2 years later I'm at 95K. I don't know why, but I am hoping my clutch will last more than that.

To the OP, I drive my car every day and take multi-thousand mile road trips every few months and it's been almost perfect. I had to replace an O2 sensor recently but everything else has been ordinary maintenance. Get the PPI and if you feel good about it, go for it.

yeah I have been looking for an nsx for like 6 months now and found nothing but junk so far. my range was origionally 25-30 looking for a 91 - 92. the thing is that after research they had A/c Issues, clutch, snap ring, window motors, etc... I figured I would rather have the targa and not worry about some of those issue and get something newer for a little more money. I just wanted to make sure they didnt do something stupid with the first year of the targa cars like accidently put the engine in the front, jk, im sorry. no but really I just wanted to make sure they didnt have major leaking issues or something. this one I am looking at is semi close to home has all the major maintenance, is clean, and stock. it hasnt been wrecked either.

I'm the third owner of a 95 auto with 73K (9K by me). In the year of ownership only the following minor issues:

• Replaced antena $275 (by my Honda mechanic).
  • Replaced the trunk struts $75 (did it myself)
  • Blown sub-wolfer amp (yet to be repaired $100 estimate)
  • Adjust headlights - they were set two low - $75 (By Acura Dealership)

Good Luck!

Mario

...considering it was the first year of the targa??
After production had started, a change was made to the roof hardware to make it less prone to creaking. Some 1995 cars will have the improved hardware (in some cases retrofitted), some won't. See http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/95-015.htm for explanation and pics on how to tell which kind of hardware a 1995 NSX has.

But this is not a major issue.

Zach, to help you decide whether to buy an NSX, here's my repair history, for problems not caused by the owners:

1991 4-speed bought used, two owners, in 11k miles, had to replace nothing.

1992 5-speed, one owner, in 26k miles, replaced ABS pump, trunk struts
and one windshield visor.

2001 4-speed bought used, four owners, in 29k miles, had to replace battery, thermostat cover, machine rear brake rotors. No problems
with T-Top, its well designed.

Overall, very reliable and hold their value well. Go for it!!

Why do so many low mileage NSX's have clutch replacements?
Clutch life in the NSX varies. Replacement after 35-55K miles is most common. Some last longer than that; others don't even make it that long. I believe the difference is in driving style and usage (but of course 90 percent of drivers believe they are in the top 10 percent of drivers for being easy on the clutch :wink: ).

I would also have it thoughly checked for freon leaks.
The '95 uses R-134a refrigerant, not freon. :tongue:

There are plenty of beautiful NSXs out there. I chuckle when I hear these guys who looked for 6 months or one year for their NSX, especially a 1991 or 1992 model.

There are tons of those cars out there as production was higher than all of the other years. I am in the car business, specifically the used car business. If you want a really clean low low mileage car you might have to step up and pay a little bit more than you wanted to.

I totaled my 95 NSX and found a flawless 96 NSX and had it in my driveway within 2 weeks. Being is the car business, I understand that, almost invariably, a 12 year old car is going to have some type of flaw unless it has hardly ever been driven.

If you want a 95, find potential candidates here on Prime, ebay, Classyauto.com, the Dupont Registry, or Hemmings Motor News- I bought both of mine off of ebay- I did not bid, I called the people- and ask a Prime member(s) to go by and check on the car for you or ask if they know of the car. Prime members will usually oblige you if you are polite when asking for their help.

One thing to remember is that the NSX has a better residual value than almost any production car made( I know there are a few cars that have better residuals, but, they are usually very rare cars of very limited production), and, with a budget of $25-$30k, you limit yourself to cars whose ACV( Actual Cash Value) is $25-$30k.

Most NSX owners know the inherent value of their NSX. They usually paid all the money to buy their car, and, are not usually willing to whore out a cherry NSX for wholesale book. The NSX is one of the rare car's where the blue book value really is not totally reliable.

Dwindling supply due to limited production and wrecks like mine vs an increase in demand actually is creating a very strong market for NSXs of any condition, especially cherry ones.

If you want a wup ass 95, I suggest you increase your budget by about
5-7 grand. Then you can get the car that is a garage queen with low miles and few blemishes. Good Luck!

Last edited:
well I bought it and drove it home. I love it and it is the best car I have owned by far. it doesnt have any major issues. I do need a few parts thought that are worn out or the car doesnt have (interior) I need the center titanium piecethat covers the climate control cd player and down the the center console, the clips that hold the glove box in, and another thing or two. anyone know where to look besides here SOS and ebay?

There are plenty of beautiful NSXs out there. I chuckle when I hear these guys who looked for 6 months or one year for their NSX, especially a 1991 or 1992 model.

There are tons of those cars out there as production was higher than all of the other years. I am in the car business, specifically the used car business. If you want a really clean low low mileage car you might have to step up and pay a little bit more than you wanted to.

I totaled my 95 NSX and found a flawless 96 NSX and had it in my driveway within 2 weeks. Being is the car business, I understand that, almost invariably, a 12 year old car is going to have some type of flaw unless it has hardly ever been driven.

If you want a 95, find potential candidates here on Prime, ebay, Classyauto.com, the Dupont Registry, or Hemmings Motor News- I bought both of mine off of ebay- I did not bid, I called the people- and ask a Prime member(s) to go by and check on the car for you or ask if they know of the car. Prime members will usually oblige you if you are polite when asking for their help.

One thing to remember is that the NSX has a better residual value than almost any production car made( I know there are a few cars that have better residuals, but, they are usually very rare cars of very limited production), and, with a budget of $25-$30k, you limit yourself to cars whose ACV( Actual Cash Value) is $25-$30k.

Most NSX owners know the inherent value of their NSX. They usually paid all the money to buy their car, and, are not usually willing to whore out a cherry NSX for wholesale book. The NSX is one of the rare car's where the blue book value really is not totally reliable.

Dwindling supply due to limited production and wrecks like mine vs an increase in demand actually is creating a very strong market for NSXs of any condition, especially cherry ones.

If you want a wup ass 95, I suggest you increase your budget by about
5-7 grand. Then you can get the car that is a garage queen with low miles and few blemishes. Good Luck!

oh yeah I realize that about the 25-30k budget. I paid 36,000 for the 95 I bought. sorry for the confusion, I was saying I would pay between 25 and 30 for a 91 or 92. thanks for the helpful info by the way

zrs6v4 congrats on your purchase, targa's are fun.

If you want a wup ass 95, I suggest you increase your budget by about 5-7 grand.

As your in the car business this would indicate higher demand for 91-92 versus 95-96 hence people like myself waited one year to find a clean 91 since they harder with the variables you mentioned. They are faster and have a sportier ride and weight less and easier to modify, yes they lack the window fix thingies and few upgrades but less cost allows room for upgrades. $37-40k can get you a 6-speed and 3.2 and its well worth it.

Back