GM, the new Hyundai

Lately, there seems to be quite a bit of discussion regarding the new C6. Yes, the new C6 is quite impressive with its gobs of power and improved interior. This will certainly be of great attraction to many current NSX owners. The interior has finally reached the stratospheric heights of Kia.

As a fairly new NSX owner myself, I purchased my NSX knowing that there are several cars that will out perform it in certain categories…but have yet to find one that out performs it in every category. The NSX is damn sexy, fast enough for me and, more importantly, rare. It’s a privilege to see an NSX…if you haven’t noticed the reactions then you’re not driving an NSX. I’ve seen more C6’s in the past month than I’ve NSX’s in the past 5 years. I smile when I hear people criticize it because I have first hand experience about the fighter jet thrill of piloting an NSX.

The 0-60 cheer leaders are the most amusing…most likely a coincidental correlation with bedtime performance. Strap on enough horse power to a turd and it will flat smoke an NSX…just ask GM.

As a past GM owner, I will agree that GM has many really cool features on their cars – the trouble is getting them to stay operative. GM to me is the antonym of quality. They are the new Hyundai with interior by Fisher Price and have a WOW component with the shelf life of skim milk.

Did you mix up the forums? This here is NSX only - there is another for car comparisons and yet another for foreign cars.

edit: I see, Lud has moved the thread. We could make his work a lot easier by initialy posting into the right forum. Gives me the chance to say another big "thank you" to the NSX Prime owner.

Last edited:
Mustanghell said:
Lately, there seems to be quite a bit of discussion regarding the new C6. Yes, the new C6 is quite impressive with its gobs of power and improved interior. This will certainly be of great attraction to many current NSX owners. The interior has finally reached the stratospheric heights of Kia.
So, having owned a 91 NSX, I have some insight into this.
What exactly is so great and extraordinary about the NSX interior? It's nice, well laid out, but so is the C6 interior.

Mustanghell said:
As a fairly new NSX owner myself, I purchased my NSX knowing that there are several cars that will out perform it in certain categories…but have yet to find one that out performs it in every category. The NSX is damn sexy, fast enough for me and, more importantly, rare. It’s a privilege to see an NSX…if you haven’t noticed the reactions then you’re not driving an NSX. I’ve seen more C6’s in the past month than I’ve NSX’s in the past 5 years. I smile when I hear people criticize it because I have first hand experience about the fighter jet thrill of piloting an NSX.
I have had my C6 for 3 weeks, and have seen only one other on the road.
But I have seen about 4 NSX's. So, maybe it's just where you live and when you drive.....

Mustanghell said:
The 0-60 cheer leaders are the most amusing…most likely a coincidental correlation with bedtime performance. Strap on enough horse power to a turd and it will flat smoke an NSX…just ask GM.
Funny, I have heard the same bedtime comment when I was an NSX owner.

Mustanghell said:
As a past GM owner, I will agree that GM has many really cool features on their cars – the trouble is getting them to stay operative. GM to me is the antonym of quality. They are the new Hyundai with interior by Fisher Price and have a WOW component with the shelf life of skim milk.
All cars have a shelf life. The NSX isn't immune from aging. Nor has it been trouble free (e.g. snap ring, excessive tire wear).
If you are happy with your NSX, I am happy for you.
I was happy with mine till the repair bills started eating into my fun quotient.
Now I am happy with my C6.
It's not a crime to like other cars besides the NSX. It seems that ALL of the car mags disagree with your evaluation of the C6. Maybe that is why the C6 is on track to break Corvette sales records this year, and the NSX is selling about let's see... 10 a month worldwide? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

steveny said:
...and my Mini bike can beat both a ford and chevy truck, so there. :tongue:
And my Dodge will smoke both trucks while towing my NSX :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

"I was happy with mine till the repair bills started eating into my fun quotient.
Now I am happy with my C6."

I have owned 3 Corvettes. Every Corvette is released with the promise that the quality issues and rattles are gone. Every time the magazines love it.
The same magazines that kept me away from the NSX for "having no soul".

Yes, a Corvette is a great value. Chevrolet's entire line is about value and look great side by side in the tests and on paper. Then people actually buy and own the cars and the story changes as the clock ticks.

Let your Corvette make it to half or even 3/4 of the driven miles of your NSX then look at the bills and look at you what is creaking, cracked, split, fallen off, peeling etc..

All cars are great when they're new. I hope your car stays great but I doubt it will.

We are comparing apples and oranges here folks. The C6 is certainly a great car for the price anyone who has seen or driven one would have to concede that. The car presents a double edged sword, it is that rather low price that will result in the roads being flooded with them. So yeah, today, it is possible you might see 1 C6 and 4 NSX's. I have not had that expereince in CA. This week I have seen 4 C6 and 1 NSX, (aside from mine).

The C6 is the touring car/sport car for the masses (perhaps) compared to the limited production of the NSX. Not a big deal, I did not buy my NSX becasue it was the most technologically superior car on the road, rather I just liked the car, the way it rode, handled, ran and looked. But I have owned a whole lot of nice cars and I am sure that sooner or later the NSX will be sold and I will replace it with something else. I really like the looks of the CLK500 and the SL500.

The thing about cars is all of us here are car people and that is what I enjoy. I like meeting others with interests in cars and seeing what they have done with them. Ferrari, NSX, Porsce, BMW, C6, Z-28, whatever.

I would (presently) love to have a C6 in my garage parked next to my NSX, but I only have a 3 car garage and it is full. I am presently selling my 2001 CL Type S and replacing it with a .........Prius! Holy Hybrid Batman! So, I am not in love with the looks of the Prius, but I do like the idea of 60 MPG and some of the other benefits the car offers for us that commute pretty fair distances. I do 100 miles round-trip 5 days per week. Is the Prius better than the NSX........when it comes to MPG yes. Anything else, no.

Gotta run.

JSMDMD said:
So, having owned a 91 NSX, I have some insight into this.
What exactly is so great and extraordinary about the NSX interior? It's nice, well laid out, but so is the C6 interior.

You no longer have the NSX and suddenly the NSX was nothing extraordinary. The interior of the NSX may not be extraordinary, but it is extremely well layed out and very driver oriented. It is also well made. The C6 that you currently own and are glowing about, has an inferior design and the materials used are not up to par with even average foreign cars much less the NSX. :eek:

I have had my C6 for 3 weeks, and have seen only one other on the road.
But I have seen about 4 NSX's. So, maybe it's just where you live and when you drive.....
A mere 6 months into ownership you will be seeing yourself coming and going like the current C5 :redface:

All cars have a shelf life.
Well ofcourse. But some have a much longer life than others. I wonder what your C6 would be like after just 5-6 years. There are numerous NSXs over a decade old that are reliable daily drivers and look awfully good doing it.

Now I am happy with my C6.
It's not a crime to like other cars besides the NSX. It seems that ALL of the car mags disagree with your evaluation of the C6.
The car magazines are always ga ga over any new car. The Corvette ALWAYS gets a wonderful reception from the magazine crowd. It is the owners who have to purchase and maintain and live with that car. I can say with certainty that your honeymoon with the C6 will be short lived and the bugs and headaches will take over as they ALWAYS do in a GM product and especially the Corvette. :rolleyes:

And certainly it is no crime to like cars other than the NSX and we all do like many cars other than the NSX. The 911, the F430, the Miata, the Cooper, the M3, the M5, etc. etc. Even the C6 has great performance and many even like the way it looks. It is its GM build quality and pitiful reliability that makes it undesirable in the eyes of many.

I wish that your car will be the exception that will prove the rule and that you will be happy with it for a long time. :smile:

The corvettes always get great reviews from american car mags, who also used to give great reviews to saturns.
If you want the real story, you need to read the real mags - I mean Evo and Car. They say that the Corvette is shite. Uncommunicative steering, poor build quality. Same as every corvette ever.
The posers and drug dealers in my area always had corvettes. The engineers always drove 911s. Nuff said.

I sure hope the C6 has better build quality than the C5. Appears to be a great car but it would be a disappointment to have it suffer from poor build quality.

My best friend has a '98 C5 and it rattles, squeaks, and feels loose in many places. The check engine light seems to come on frequently. One time it came on and the car just died on him. The dealer hasn't been able to correct it.

When it comes to build quality, it will be hard to find a car better built than the NSX, in the same price category that is.

I still haven't seen a C6 in person. However it looks quite promising on paper. too bad GM decided to make it slower than the present Z06(on the track) just to appease the z06 owners. I am waiting for the C6-z06. More Hp, lighter, and it gives GM a year or two to sort out the issues. If that still doesn't quite get me all gaga-gogo then I will probably just keep the NSX.

I do have to agree with JSMDMD, I luv all sportscars- the porsches, the classic europeans of the 60's, the muscle cars, the F cars. In my dream garage I have a F car, a NSX, and a 911 cup car. :biggrin:

Back