Getting a 1/10 RC....Touring Car or Stadium Truck

Not planning on racing or anything, just want to have fun. Always loved RC cars (had my share of Toys-R-Us specials, but want to move up to hobby quality and speed. Looking at a tamiya NSX and a traxxas rustler. Don't want to break the bank. Any options on what I should get?

------------------
92 Red/Blk

I've got a number of touring cars and a couple of trucks. You can see them here:
http://www.furyxx.0catch.com/pages/RC_action2.html

I've pretty much stayed electric, since I don't want too much to be playing around gas. If you've got places to stomp around, you can have a good time with a stadium truck or a monster style truck. If you're thinking about a Rustler, then I imagine you'd like to keep it simple. My Traxxas Stampede is loads of fun, and it's pretty tough. Otherwise, if you want to step up to full 4WD, I'd recommend my T-Maxx. Unfortunately, you'd be hitting over $300 RTR.

As for touring cars, if you plan on keeping it simple, I'd recommend a TC3 RTR if you don't want to build. Prices for those are low $200 and you've got an excellent car there. Even so, if you wanted to build a car, say a Tamiya, an HPI, or even a kit TC3, after electronics, you'd be spending about the same anyways, but you'd have the thrill/fun/frustration of building.
tongue.gif

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

If you are thinking about getting a touring car or the tamiya nsx, you should seriously make sure that you have a place to run it first. Most of these cars have about 5-10mm (0.2-0.4") of ground clearance. This is about the thickness of a wooden pencil. Even the slightest pebble or bump could be disastrous at 30mph. Finding an empty street or parking lot is not enough -- it must be very clean and very flat. Little twigs, gravel, leaves, etc will all grind against the bottom of the chassis or lodge itself in the many openings on the underside.

If you cannot find such a pristine surface to run on, then I would suggest you seriously consider getting a truck. They usually have a bit more ground clearance and you can drive it safely around most "dirty" parking lots.

If you have a place to run it, a touring car is definitely a lot of fun. Its also a hell of a lot cheaper modding a 1/10 NSX than it is to mod the real thing
biggrin.gif
But, if you dont have a place to run it, then you will find it extremely frustrating. (Then again, you can just take it to the local RC track and the conditions will be ideal.)

Either way both the truck and the car can be a lot of fun!

Which Tamiya model exactly?

Electric or nitro?

I have an RC10GT (nitro stadium truck) and a couple of nitro and electric touring cars. Again, comparing them is different. Let me know exactly what you will be purchasing and how much you want to spend so I can help you out more.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dan H (edited 04 December 2002).]

here is my setup payed $160 for the car and a few other things about a year a go The are is a Atless with a front one way and a P2K motor !!

DSC00096.JPG

DSC00097.JPG

DSC00098.JPG

[This message has been edited by NSX Tech (edited 05 December 2002).]

Back