Get you car inspected before purchasing!!

I almost made a very bad buy on a 91 nsx today. As I was searching the Phoenix, Arizona craigslist ads; I came across a blk,blk 91 for $16,500. The red flags immediatly rose considering the price, but the price might also be that low because the owner really doesn't know what they have. To make a long story short I made a deal saying that I would buy it as long as the car has no serious problems. That being said I took the car to Acura to have them inspect the car, and they said no problem they'll contact me in a couple of hours when its done. So I'm getting my hopes up and what not while going back up there to get the results, and I asked the mechanic, " so did the car give you any problems? He just shook his head in a disappointed way and said that the whole car was shot. He then asked me what I was going to pay for it and I told him and he said he wouldn't pay 6K for the car. I thought he was over exaggerating until it was time for me to pay $128 for the inspection (whats $128 to thousands). They gave me pages of a list of parts that needed to be changed. On the second page the price for all of the parts not including labor came out to be $25k:eek:. I couldn't understand how someone could neglect such a rare vehicle. I mean come on, a book to hold the battery in place by the positive terminal? (Who does that?!) The point of the story is that I almost made a bad choice by buying from impluse and excitment rather than being logical about it. It was a good thing I got smart and hired someone to the inspection instead of thinking I'm a nsx mechanic by trade. Oh and one last thing 1.I did a check on the vin number and the carfax passed with flying colors (you can't rely on carfax alone), and 2.At least one person on these forums have owned or thought about owning this car.

you should post the VIN number here, and how you found the car for future reference by other members.

Thanks for reminding me:

Vehicle Information:
1991 ACURA NSX
VIN: JH4NA1154MT001870
COUPE
3.0L V6 PFI DOHC 24V
REAR WHEEL DRIVE

Found car on Phoenix craigslist:
160k miles for $16,500

What needs to be replaced for 25k? I mean unless it's bee in an accident or the engine is blown.

If I had to do it all over again I'd buy a cheaper nsx and just mod it. I guess it just depends what you want in the future. If you want a nice stock clean nsx. Or a modified one...

Stephen

What needs to be replaced for 25k? I mean unless it's bee in an accident or the engine is blown.

If I had to do it all over again I'd buy a cheaper nsx and just mod it. I guess it just depends what you want in the future. If you want a nice stock clean nsx. Or a modified one...

Stephen

Everything; its was a list of pages. I gave the owner the results when I gave him back his car. You can call acura of peoria and ask them what it needed; I'm pretty sure they'll be happy to help out.

There is an old saying that goes "If a deal sounds too good to be true, is usually is."

If you want a decent example don't expect to pay less than $23K for one that needs a few odds and ends here and there with some deferred maintenance. Add at least $5K to that figure if you want a nice one.

Last edited:
Smart move on the inspection, definitely worth the $128 investment you made.

When having an NSX pre-purchase inspection completed its always important to ensure that the technician conducting the effort has specific experience with the car. Not every Acura dealer has someone on staff who has worked extensively with the car.

In some cases there are also independent NSX repair shops that can provide an inspection that may be more thorough.

I think this case further illustrates why it may make more financial sense to pay $32K for a late model NSX that is well maintained with service history and needs nothing then $16K for a car that hasn't been cared for.

That being said, if you are handy and the engine/transmission is in good shape Prime is a great place to find resources to repair what could be in this instance a "Project Car".

It really depends what you are looking for. Some folks want a fixer upper, others just want to get in and drive.

I am definitely curious about the repairs required for this car. There are a lot of parts out there today and it could make a fun project for someone.

When having an NSX pre-purchase inspection completed its always important to ensure that the technician conducting the effort has specific experience with the car. Not every Acura dealer has someone on staff who has worked extensively with the car.

In some cases there are also independent NSX repair shops that can provide an inspection that may be more thorough.

I think this case further illustrates why it may make more financial sense to pay $32K for a late model NSX that is well maintained with service history and needs nothing then $16K for a car that hasn't been cared for.

That being said, if you are handy and the engine/transmission is in good shape Prime is a great place to find resources to repair what could be in this instance a "Project Car".

It really depends what you are looking for. Some folks want a fixer upper, others just want to get in and drive.

I am definitely curious about the repairs required for this car. There are a lot of parts out there today and it could make a fun project for someone.

Although I don't remember all of the problems I can recall some like both engine mounts were broken, blown head gasket, oil leak, tranny leak, all bearings on all wheels, both window regulators, tcs light stays on, ac didn't work, etc.

I agree with some of this but the idea that you can find a "late" model NSX with good service history for 32K is something I don't believe you'll find - You would really have to qualify this statement to make a believer out of me. But there are a lot of parts out there and brother by the sound of this one with only 162k on it and everything listed that it needs - makes me wonder about NSXs in general.

I'll tell you what - I bought my car with 42k miles on it - it's a 91 and I paid perhaps some might say too much at 28.5k - but it came with 2 owners that had the car for the large portion of it's life and a folder full of receipts - good service history. I have put 5.5k in it and I'm still going. :eek: I'm replacing the shocks now, and I hope that gets the creaking out of the front end - I believe it will. I was lucky and found late model shocks and springs for a good price and will spend another 450 having it aligned and the shocks and springs installed unless I can get a friend to help me do the work - and let me tell you if there is a car that will make you start thinking about becoming a serious DIYer - this is the car!!!!! Get your tools, your manuals and your buddies with knowledge and steel yourself for what lies ahead my friends. This is a wise tip for anyone looking to get into one of these older NSXs.

My take on the fellow I'm quoting here is this - his logic is sound - maybe it would be better to get a late model with good service history - I second that but you better get out your wallet and be prepared to wait for it - cause guys they do not "grow on trees". There is a reason most are selling these cars - it's called "deferred maintenance". Or "I'm tired of sinking money in this thing and I don't drive it enough" Or " I want a later model NSX" - gee I wonder why!

Then you have a guy like Hugh that tells you of his 400k miles and climbing and that maintenance hasn't been that bad - but then you have a guy with 160k miles on it with wheel bearings shot and motor mounts etc, etc. I don't get it?????

How can you own an early model NSX with 400+k miles on it and not have sunk a huge chunk of dough in that car - personally I find that very, very hard to believe and I'd really like to see a detailed list of what Hughes car needs - I'd love to see what a good qualified PPI would turn up. Now maybe Hugh is that "serious DIYer" I'm talking about needing to become - but folks - I don't believe you just "get lucky" with these high performance cars and they just keep running without needing a bunch of maintenance! PERIOD!!!! NO WAY....

So to all you would be owners out there that are thinking maybe I can get one of these NSXs now cause they are coming down in price - get ready to have plenty of work to do - do not buy one of these cars thinking there isn't a list waiting for you on just about any of them unless you get an early one with no mileage on it but even then there has most generally been no maintenance on that vehicle to speak of and if there has - get ready for a high price - and WELL OVER 32k. And that's an early one!

I don't know where you find a "late model" with great service history - for 32K are you kidding! :rolleyes: If I was going to sell mine - which I'm not- what in the world do you think I'd want for it - with all the "service history" it now has even MORE of - more than 32k I can assure you and I would get it - cause cars like mine aren't growing on trees out there either!

That's my 2 cent epistle for today!!! Adios

Be very careful with PPIs. I had a PPI done on my NSX by McGrath Acura near Chicago. I paid over $500 and it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. It's hard to know who to take your car to when you are making an out of state purchase. Stay away from McGrath Acura.

Did I read Blown Head Gasket? Jesus, how would you not notice an engine problem while driving the car would be my question. Did you get a chance to drive the car in Peoria, AZ?

Did I read Blown Head Gasket? Jesus, how would you not notice an engine problem while driving the car would be my question. Did you get a chance to drive the car in Peoria, AZ?

You know a blown head gasket if it's just a small leak might not be noticeable right off. There is surely a pile wrong with this one - I'd be damn glad I was told to walk on that one for sure.

25k?

WTF I would wonder if the acura dealer was in it to get money out of you or the owner. I could get a working new motor and tranny with a wide body for less. I dont see 25K. if it was a 25K problem I would see it right away without a tech looking at it. You could get a NSX for 25k. I find this a little hard to belive to tell you the truth.

I've managed to find the summary page (guess I didn't give the guy all of the paper work back), and this is exactly what it states:

164598 1.00 completed inspection. Note: To many problems to list all! Found paper book holding battery cable in place, found rack broke, found all lower ball joints faulty, found tie rod ends faulty, found front and rear brakes needed, found oil leaks, found all cv boots leaking, found clutch needed, found timing belt and outer belt replacement due, found cam shaft seals and plugs leaking, valve cover gaskets leaking, water pump replacement due, valve adjustment due. Much more to list.

ANY car worth more than $1k should be given a PPI by a competent mechanic.

This is not new news............

I've managed to find the summary page (guess I didn't give the guy all of the paper work back), and this is exactly what it states:

164598 1.00 completed inspection. Note: To many problems to list all! Found paper book holding battery cable in place, found rack broke, found all lower ball joints faulty, found tie rod ends faulty, found front and rear brakes needed, found oil leaks, found all cv boots leaking, found clutch needed, found timing belt and outer belt replacement due, found cam shaft seals and plugs leaking, valve cover gaskets leaking, water pump replacement due, valve adjustment due. Much more to list.

That is no where near 25K worth of repair work let alone 25K in parts as they claim.

I would like to see the actual PPI. It seems a little suspicious to me.

Did they see the oil leak and quote you for a new engine?

How did they know that it had a blown head gasket? I doubt they did a full inspection that included a compression test and leak down test for $128.00. Or did you notice something funny when you test drove it?

Did they send you to the new car sales guy right afterwards and did they try to get you into a new Acura TL instead!!

Last edited:
I would like to see the actual PPI. It seems a little suspicious to me.

Did they see the oil leak and quote you for a new engine?

How did they know that it had a blown head gasket? I doubt they did a full inspection that included a compression test and leak down test for $128.00. Or did you notice something funny when you test drove it?

Did they send you to the new car sales guy right afterwards and did they try to get you into a new Acura TL instead!!

We all saw the oil leak, I don't know how they inspected the rest of the stuff considering I left then came back like 3 hours later. A sales guy did come to me right after, but I assured them I was just looking for a NSX or another type of "super car" and preferred not to buy from a dealer.

pretty sure the mechanic lied to you and suckered you out, now he's going to buy it ! :biggrin:

You don't usually have to do a leak down test to determine if it has a blown head gasket - water shows up in the oil and you can see it in the radiator and on the dipstick.

Think with your dipstick laddie - whip! :biggrin:

By the way that flood victim car - it always makes me wonder when a guy buys it in February spends 3000 on "small" electrical problems and now wants to sell it. Sounds like one or two things - you got a fast talking car flipper "dealer" that sells like an individual and his wife is a notary OR there's a lot more wrong with it than he's talking about and he's tired of putting money into it. You just never know about cars like that; could be good though. Like Shawn says. You'd have to do a lot of testing and checking.

Last edited:
Be very careful with PPIs. I had a PPI done on my NSX by McGrath Acura near Chicago. I paid over $500 and it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. It's hard to know who to take your car to when you are making an out of state purchase. Stay away from McGrath Acura.

What did they charge you $500 for? I hope that was a compression test plus a couple hours labor?

Back