Gen X - not saving for retirement

Generation X may have shed the slacker image over the past decade as its members moved beyond coffee shop jobs and into the suburbs, SUVs and corporate boardrooms. But when it comes to saving for retirement, the description still fits.

Most Gen Xers, the oldest of whom are heading into their 40s, are woefully behind in saving for retirement. Nearly half of the 5,000 Gen Xers surveyed by Charles Schwab this year said they are so saddled with debt or live on such tight budgets they can’t even think about saving.

“They’re not a saving generation — they’re spenders,” said Gio Van Remortel, a 36-year-old who studies her generation as a futurist at Social Technologies, a research and consulting firm in Washington.

VLG-UnpreppedGenXers-2.gif

Melanie Keller, 35, admits that fact. She worries about retirement because she only has $3,000 put away in a 401(k) plan and has no other investments. But instead of socking away money for retirement, the pharmaceutical saleswoman is trying to save $60,000 so she can buy a starter home where she lives in San Jose, Calif.

“I am worried, but I don’t feel like after I pay all the bills — with rent, car payment — I have enough money” for savings, she said.

Indeed, the expenses of a house, car and all the other possessions that go along with being an adult often leave Gen Xers very little to sock away in a 401(k) system that grows money incrementally, said Van Remortel. Even if they are not supersizing their lives and living beyond their means, she said, many Gen Xers — generally defined as those born from 1965 to 1980 — carry significant debt due to college alone. Once they have kids, they begin to worry about saving for their college educations, and retirement planning often drops in priority.

Recognizing those pressures, investment firms are offering new incentives tailored to get Gen Xers to invest. The Principal Financial Group, which runs 401(k) plans for 47,000 employers and their 3 million workers, offers free music downloads to people who boost their contributions to retirement accounts. The company also sends financial counselors to the offices of their clients to offer free advice on 401(k) planning.

Fact File | Generation X
— 62 percent say they live paycheck to paycheck.
— 56 percent have an outstanding credit-card balance of $3,000 or more.
— 62 percent of women say they have not bought any investment products.
— 45 percent of women would buy 30 pairs of shoes before saving $30,000 in retirement assets.
— 65 percent of women and 48 percent of men said they do not know how a mutual fund works.
— Nearly 65 percent did not know that when interest rates go up bond prices typically go down.
— 38 percent of women have not started saving for retirement.

Broker Charles Schwab meanwhile has lowered its minimum balances to $100 for people opening new investment accounts and offers high-yield checking accounts linked to brokerage accounts. “If they can start with a checking account, they can invest easily over time,” said Jonathan Craig, a vice president at Schwab.

Still, Gen Xers may face bigger financial challenges than their parents and grandparents did. On top of the big mortgages, college loans and the rising child education costs, they face the fact that few employers offer traditional pensions anymore, meaning they take on more of the burden of retirement. Plus, the future of Social Security is more uncertain than ever. Unless Congress makes changes, the trust fund that helps pay for the federal entitlement is likely to be exhausted by 2040 — about the time most Gen Xers hit retirement.

Credit card debt, too, remains another big roadblock to many people. As many as 40 percent of Gen X women and 58 percent of men said they carried a credit card balance of $5,000 or more, according to a 2006 survey of 300 people by OppenheimerFunds. Nearly half of women interviewed said they would rather buy 30 pairs of shoes than save $30,000 for retirement.

Waiting to pay off that debt before saving for retirement could be a big mistake, said Doug Charney, president of the Charney Investment Group of Wachovia Securities in Harrisburg, Pa.

“Pay yourself first,” Charney said. He advises people to set aside at least 15 percent of their income into a retirement account. If that’s too much, people should start small with maybe 4 percent or 5 percent and gradually increase the contribution as they get pay raises.

“If you don’t save 10 percent of your income, you won’t be able to maintain the lifestyle you’re used to,” Charney said. For many people, that equates to saving about $2 million by retirement, after accounting for inflation. Those who haven’t put away enough money may have to work into their 70s. (Charney later sent an e-mail raising his target to 15 percent of income.)

Still, many people don’t understand how to invest or what is the best way to invest, and some are spending the retirement money they do save, according to surveys by financial institutions. As many as 40 percent of people cash out their 401(k) money when they leave a job rather than rolling the money over to grow in another retirement account, according to the Principal Financial Group.

Count Robert Betts as one of those people who made that decision. Burned out on his job at a Manhattan advertising agency, the 36-year-old Betts quit his job in 2005 and blew through $28,000 from his 401(k) plan while unemployed for 18 months. Now working for a Denver ad agency, he puts $500 a month into his 401(k) in an effort to catch up.

“When you see your 401(k) grow on top of what you put into it, it’s tough to swallow that you could have been doing that for 10 years,” said Betts. But he doesn’t regret using the retirement money to take time to clear his head.

“I could die poor in the gutter at 60, and I wouldn’t regret taking that money,” he said. “I’m much happier, and my career is on track.”

Thanks for sharing that article. Interesting stats.

I'm a Gen Xer and my peers who say they don't have any money left after they pay the bills are full of it - I have ZERO sympathy for them. Their concept of bills includes Starbucks, going out every Friday and Saturday night, buying lots of drinks, eating at the top steak houses, buying crap they don't need, etc. Then they pay rent, pay for a car they can barely afford, say they don't know where the money went and have no idea why they can't afford a house. I'm glad my wife and I started our 401Ks, brokerage accts, etc when we were 22 years old (compound interest is a magical thing :smile: ). I'm glad we won't have to worry about retirement. Damn Gen X slackers giving rest of us a bad name. :tongue:

Thanks for sharing that article. Interesting stats.

I'm a Gen Xer and my peers who say they don't have any money left after they pay the bills are full of it - I have ZERO sympathy for them. Their concept of bills includes Starbucks, going out every Friday and Saturday night, buying lots of drinks, eating at the top steak houses, buying crap they don't need, etc. Then they pay rent, pay for a car they can barely afford, say they don't know where the money went and have no idea why they can't afford a house.

+1 Its all about priority and these people are either in denial (I know few), are hoping on their parents trust fund (also know a couple of these), or just plain retarded (I know a couple of these too - case and point, person knew she was about to be laid off, what did she do? buy a 52 inch plasma tv on credit to make them feel better about themselves). While I sit back and stare at my portfolio do its ups and down with the market. Mmmm nice...oh wait market went down...damn it...wait its still way above what I have put in...whew. :tongue: :biggrin:

interesting post.

i actively mentor 5 genx people, each of whom have been a report / co-worker of mine going back to '94. and while they may not be in the "norm" according to this report, each of them have been proactive in setting and achieving both personal and professional goals, including buying personal residences, investment property, personal savings and retirement planning.

they come from middle class stock, only one has a college degree (from a low-ranking school), none of them drive ferrarri's or exotic cars and none live in mtv cribs. they're middle class folks who maintain a strong focus on what's important:

it's not always about how much you earn, but it's often about how much you keep and what you do with it.

each of them are in the 35-38 y.o. bracket now and while they each work, they are all in a position to "cash out" and (assuming no catastrophic events) "retire" to live off their savings investment income. (none are famous, none are day traders and none work for google ;)

hal
btw, in case you're wondering, i'm very happy for and proud of each of them. (oh, and... i'm not the only person they seek advice from ;)

Sounds like Hal's mentees are doing well, and he taught them a valuable lesson that most people never learn. How much you make isn't important, it's how much you keep that matters. I see some of my peers going, going, going and working on that next promotion so they can make more money, so they can be happier, but you know how that story ends. I was taught a long time ago what it meant to be rich vs. wealthy (you know, "rich is having money today, wealthy is having money tomorrow", etc). I'm not trying to be rich. :smile:

I might have to hit Hal up for some advice. :biggrin:

+1 Its all about priority and these people are either in denial (I know few), are hoping on their parents trust fund (also know a couple of these), or just plain retarded (I know a couple of these too - case and point, person knew she was about to be laid off, what did she do? buy a 52 inch plasma tv on credit to make them feel better about themselves). While I sit back and stare at my portfolio do its ups and down with the market. Mmmm nice...oh wait market went down...damn it...wait its still way above what I have put in...whew. :tongue: :biggrin:

+2 There is absolutely no excuse for at least maxing out your 401K and IRAs. Even less if your employer matches. I was able to do that making only $35K a year. It wasn't easy but with pensions and social security going the way of the dinos, you can't afford NOT to.

I went through the spending all I had when I was 19-21, after that I got over it. I am 31, will be 32 Nov 19th :) but most of the people my age do spend all that they have, I have a good bit more money then most of them and I spend so much less. In fact I can retire now and never have to work again but I live in a 150k house and drive a 30k car because I don't need anymore then that. All my friends say I should buy a ferrari or a million $ house. I tell them I have money because I am not stupid and like knowing I never have to do work again if I don't want to. The funny thing is now that I have it I spend less and less and enjoy making money, maybe it's just the numbers who knows. I just don't understand why people spend so much money on stupid stuff such as Starbucks, high end cars, 500k homes when they make 70-100k a year and if they get a flat tire they are screwed. 1 tip is BE YOUR OWN BANKER. Don't take out a loan from a bank, take a loan from you savings and pay it back.

Sounds like Hal's mentees are doing well, and he taught them a valuable lesson that most people never learn. How much you make isn't important, it's how much you keep that matters. I see some of my peers going, going, going and working on that next promotion so they can make more money, so they can be happier, but you know how that story ends. I was taught a long time ago what it meant to be rich vs. wealthy (you know, "rich is having money today, wealthy is having money tomorrow", etc). I'm not trying to be rich. :smile:

I might have to hit Hal up for some advice. :biggrin:

I have made a lot of money and though it would make me happy, I was wrong. Now I am getting in shape and eating right and being healthy is my true happiness. :) I always thought it was money but I was wrong.

It's kind of hard to believe this stuff. I'm sure it's right though.
So what does this mean for the country as a whole in 20-30 years?

It's kind of hard to believe this stuff. I'm sure it's right though.
So what does this mean for the country as a whole in 20-30 years?

Just my two cents since I am not the Fed Chief. I think in 20-30 years if these people haven't woken up, then when these people retire you will see a lot of whining, complaints, and lawsuits galore as to why they can't get "help" from the government. When people should be reponsible for their own actions. But instead of the government telling them sorry, you should have figured this out before buying that $500K home when you only made $35K, the govt will bend and pay them out (because they will suck up to these people if they can help get them elected) with more social security or some kind of fund (bailout - sound familiar S&L's, Subprime Mortgages, etc.) that you guessed it, will be paid by taxpayers, including the ones who prepared. I say nuts, and let them burn in the fire pit they created themselves.

You don't need the big SUV, you wanted it.
You don't need the big house you can't afford, you wanted it.
You dont need to live in that particular area, you wanted to.
You don't need the NSX, you wanted it. :tongue: :biggrin: (sorry had to throw that in)

Just my two cents since I am not the Fed Chief. I think in 20-30 years if these people haven't woken up, then when these people retire you will see a lot of whining, complaints, and lawsuits galore as to why they can't get "help" from the government. When people should be reponsible for their own actions. But instead of the government telling them sorry, you should have figured this out before buying that $500K home when you only made $35K, the govt will bend and pay them out (because they will suck up to these people if they can help get them elected) with more social security or some kind of fund (bailout - sound familiar S&L's, Subprime Mortgages, etc.) that you guessed it, will be paid by taxpayers, including the ones who prepared. I say nuts, and let them burn in the fire pit they created themselves.

You don't need the big SUV, you wanted it.
You don't need the big house you can't afford, you wanted it.
You dont need to live in that particular area, you wanted to.
You don't need the NSX, you wanted it. :tongue: :biggrin: (sorry had to throw that in)

Hell the fed is doing that now with the sub-prime stuff. Look at all the dumb people at the banks that let these loans go through, banks wanted that money so bad they approved people that in no way could afford it. If you can afford a home for 500k does not mean you have to have it. I know 90% of the people out there buy as much as they can. 3,000sq foot home for 1-2 ppl is just retarded and not needed.

Last edited:
For many people, that equates to saving about $2 million by retirement, after accounting for inflation.

Very scary. Given the current savings rate that is simply not possible for probably over 90% of Gen-X. Use a growing annuity formula with realistic inputs, and a working model shows a person saving $13k in their first year, increasing by 3% every year for 30 years (assuming 8% overall ROI). Wage growth will not make up the gap, since it would lead to inflation.

Do not count on a government bailout. Gen-X is a small generation. Logically, they will always be under-represented in the various state and federal law-making bodies, especially when close to or at retirement age.

+2 There is absolutely no excuse for at least maxing out your 401K and IRAs. Even less if your employer matches. I was able to do that making only $35K a year. It wasn't easy but with pensions and social security going the way of the dinos, you can't afford NOT to.

There are alot of variables not being taken into consideration with that statement. What about you families with kids? I have friends that are early 30's and have been physicians for 5 years and are doing sweet financially. I know single and married with no kids couples with vacation homes sitting on cash looking to see what will their next investment be. Obviously these types are doing well financially.

I also know people who have 4-5 kids and aren't in those situations financially. My wife and I are fortunate that we save 12% of our salary and have been for 5 years a little less before that and hopefully more in the future, but still not enought to max out our 401K's and IRA's yet.

IMO happiness is the most important thing and money doesn't buy that:biggrin:

I also know people who have 4-5 kids and aren't in those situations financially.

IMO happiness is the most important thing and money doesn't buy that:biggrin:

Ooooo I dont know about this but I do have a opinion on this. I just hope no one gets offended as its not meant as a jab to those having a tough time already. But why did those same folks to have 4-5 kids? Condom? Pill? Vasectomy? I think you need to plan better if you seriously want a family that large. Much like everything, it might be a nice thing to want and have a family that large (or an F-car), but you better be ready for the costs associated with it like food, clothes, school, medical (maintenance on as F-car). If you can't afford the costs, then you should NOT have it. The only people I would let pass on stuff like that are the ones who end up with twins and such as those you really can't plan for, you just have to do your best. It still boils down to being your own decision and your own responsibility. Again not meant as a flame as I too, know people out there having a tough time in the same situation.

I totally agree on the happiness thing, money can't buy it. But it sure makes thing easier. You just need to keep in mind, easy is not the same as happy.

Oh man, blah blah blah. Live for the now man, I ain't ever gonna be old!
:wink:

Actually, the thought of saving too much and not enjoying it scares me, so I save just enough.
The rest I blow on hookers and whiskey....no, wait, I mean my NSX.
:smile:

Back