Gen 2 review by a Gen 1 owner

Welcome to the 21st century....... I think it is futile to try to compare cars from different generations. The evolution of technology in today's supercars (and cars in general) is staggering. How do you compare Bart Starr to Tom Brady, or Fangio to Lewis Hamilton? You can't....... I'm not sure that Honda should have given the Gen 2 car a whole different name? I don't necessarily see any connections between Gen 1 and Gen 2? As a disclaimer, I have never driven a Gen 1 car, although it looks like a great little car for it's time......

I'm an old 60's-70's muscle car kinda guy, and to me, the new NSX is a 21st century muscle car and beyond.

It was interesting to see the reviewers first impressions of the car as he drove it. But there is so much technology packed into the car that it's not something that you can fully understand in one drive. It took months for me to begin to fully understand the car and what was going on. The reviewer kept complaining about and blaming the car for "bad" downshifts where in fact it was operator error. The car's computer is monitoring everything to protect you and the car. If the computer determines that you have downshifted too soon and at too high of revs, it will lock you out until the RPM's are low enough not to have a damaging effect...... The computer is controlling and monitoring every system in the car on an ongoing basis. Some "old school" guys may not like that, but I think what's going on is incredible. The technology in the car is amazing...... Just a new generation, and a different take and interpretation of what a 21st century muscle car can be.

In the end, it was a well done video, with interesting comments and comparisons. It's not a car that you can critique and fully appreciate until you have driven and experienced it......

Welcome to the 21st century....... I think it is futile to try to compare cars from different generations. The evolution of technology in today's supercars (and cars in general) is staggering. How do you compare Bart Starr to Tom Brady, or Fangio to Lewis Hamilton? You can't....... I'm not sure that Honda should have given the Gen 2 car a whole different name? I don't necessarily see any connections between Gen 1 and Gen 2? As a disclaimer, I have never driven a Gen 1 car, although it looks like a great little car for it's time......

I'm an old 60's-70's muscle car kinda guy, and to me, the new NSX is a 21st century muscle car and beyond.

It was interesting to see the reviewers first impressions of the car as he drove it. But there is so much technology packed into the car that it's not something that you can fully understand in one drive. It took months for me to begin to fully understand the car and what was going on. The reviewer kept complaining about and blaming the car for "bad" downshifts where in fact it was operator error. The car's computer is monitoring everything to protect you and the car. If the computer determines that you have downshifted too soon and at too high of revs, it will lock you out until the RPM's are low enough not to have a damaging effect...... The computer is controlling and monitoring every system in the car on an ongoing basis. Some "old school" guys may not like that, but I think what's going on is incredible. The technology in the car is amazing...... Just a new generation, and a different take and interpretation of what a 21st century muscle car can be.

In the end, it was a well done video, with interesting comments and comparisons. It's not a car that you can critique and fully appreciate until you have driven and experienced it......

I agree that one would need more than a brief drive in a new NSX to grasp what a fine car it is. I would also add that you need to drive a first gen sometime, if you believe it is only a "great little car for it's time".

I do believe that as a Gen 2 owner, someday I will be presented with an opportunity to "ride swap" with a Gen 1 owner......
I look forward to that day!

I agree that one would need more than a brief drive in a new NSX to grasp what a fine car it is. I would also add that you need to drive a first gen sometime, if you believe it is only a "great little car for it's time".

Please don't add words to mis-characterize my comments..... I did NOT use the word "ONLY" in my comment, and I did not imply that the car was anything less than great... You've now implied that my comment was negative which it was not. I do not know why you felt the need to do that?

The 1967 Lotus Formula 1 car was "great"...... But current Formula 1 cars are perhaps 15 seconds faster per lap. Does that make the 1967 car less great? No...... The passage of time obsoletes us all......

I used the word "only" because I honestly believe you would be somewhat surprised what an overall great package the old NSXs are. That's why Honda engineers tried to give the new car a similar feel to the original. I'm old enough to remember what a GLC was - a shit box Mazda econobox that rusted away before your eyes, at least in our climate. Also, I never had much affection for muscle cars, and don't see any resemblance between your new car and those ill handling relics. :grumpy:

haha I'm sure there are the same discussions over at the Supra forums....:wink:.......

.I saw some of the hottest nsx owners...and I fractured C2....

Exactly. Same name but completely different car and era.

welcome to the 21st century - and I mean that in a good way - having onwed an NA1 for 13 years - the NC1 is so much of a jump that its comparing a model T to a 70s muscle car - the comparison becomes irrelevant and you have to appreciate each independently... I loved my NA, but wouldn't trade back because the NC is just sooo much more progress, if I want to rack and row gears, I'll car swap with my buddy's Comptech S2000 and then come back to the NC.. And if I have to have BOTH a manual fix and a hypercar, I'll keep the NC and me and the wife can split a GolfR :) - I can loose my licence with both equally fast...

Looked like he was in 3rd gear and went to grab 2nd which would have been is a safe rpm zone but the trans hesitated before shifting down. It dies not appear to be a lock out over rev situation.

Remember that dual clutch need to preselect an spin up a gear in anticipation of drivers next move. I believe that is a case software not ave to accurately predict what gear he was going to next hence the pause to spin up 2nd before it engaged.

The dude is not an armature and knowledge if he was executing an over rev downshift. This is the nature of dual clutch. Sometimes drivers are caught waiting a little longer waiting for an unanticipated downshift and not having pre-engaged the next gear.

His review is pretty dead on IMO. First the good part, the NC1 is simply IMO the best daily super car money can buy right now, it does everything so well. Hyper car technology in sports car price. I can sit here and rave about it all day.

Lets just get to minor complaints:

1. It should be programmed so that when you pull downshift lever and hold it can drop to best gear possible like how Ferrari does it. Can drop 3 gears in single pull and hold.

2. The downshift is my biggest complaint on NC1. My previous 17 and current 19 both have same issue. Never experienced this with Mclaren, Ferrari, Lambo, GTR, AMGs. It is tricky to explain. It certainly downshifts fast, what reviewer experienced is the "delay of acceleration responds or hesitation after the downshift". To counter this I simply downshift wait a second before getting back on throttle. Or just make sure I am in right gear, wait a second then punch it.

3. DBW cars all have slight to micro throttle responds delay. NC1 is already nearly as instant as Tesla. IMO if Sprint Booster makes a unit for NC1, the already rapid take off will be near 100% Tesla like. Tt might even eliminate the throttle hesitation after downshift. Both seat of pant and actual performance will be improved.

https://youtu.be/8u7lIJfWc6U

Last edited:
Back