garage cabinet questions

I've got a few quotes for garage cabinets.

One company uses a thermofuse material that appears to be durable, nice looking, and more water resistant.

Other companies I talk to use low-density fiber board (industrial melamine).

The difference between the better material (thermofuse) and melamine is about $400. Total cost of cabinets are about $1500 for the better stuff, and $1k - $1100 for the cheaper stuff.

The company that is using the better material is relatively new, about a year old. The more established companies using the cheaper materials vary in age in business, but are generally 1-4 years old.

I am considering another company that install cabinets a few inches off the floor. The advantage to this design is that there is no space for pests to hide in, so it can be swept / vacuumed very easily.

I'm tempted to spend more to get nicer cabinets.

What do you guys think?? any tips / hints?

Last edited:
I'm also considering a new garage floor. The high grade epoxy can be put in before the cabinets or after.

I'm thinking if I get the cabinets that sit a few inches above the ground, I'll definitely get the epoxy in first.

However, if I get regular cabinets that sit on the floor, I'm not sure if I should still get the epoxy in the whole garage or not.

Any thoughts on this as well? Thanks.

Have you thought about going to Home Depot and buying the closets/cabinets/shelving and putting them together yourself. You can also buy a door to use as a workbench supported by a two waist high cabinets. You'll be surprised at the finished look and you can bolt them together for added rigidity.

I just wanted to give you a third option that can give you pretty much what you want for a fraction of the cost.

If the cabinets have a side and toe kick plate on the bottom I would suggest intalling them on the floor and attaching them to the wall too. The cabinets will be much more solid feeling when you put weight on the countertop. If you do decide to put them on the floor just put a bead of clear silicone on the bottom edge of the cabinet before you put the cabinet in place. This will seal it to the floor and not allow dirt to get underneath so you won't have to sweep under them.
I would get the better cabinets if I were you, but since I am me I would build my own cabinets from scratch. :biggrin:

Back