Gallardo police car

I like how the lights on the roof are more aerodynamic than the ones on most police cars in the USA.

car.184.2.650.jpg

from a NY Times article (free registration required) at
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/12/international/europe/12car.html

NOW this would be one HIGHSPEED chase i would WANT to see!!!!

Tom239 said:
I like how the lights on the roof are more aerodynamic than the ones on most police cars in the USA.

Not me....I need to be able to identify them as they are coming up on me.

Thanks to LED technology light bars are becoming smaller in size and just as effective.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Not me....I need to be able to identify them as they are coming up on me.

Thanks to LED technology light bars are becoming smaller in size and just as effective.

One of my friends in a local PD officer. I do ride alongs with him several times a year so we can catch up as he is very busy. Usually we take the full dress cruiser but one evening we took out a Durango which look nothing like a police vehicle until the emergency lights are turned on. All the lights are concealed in the headlights or behind the grill. It was no surprise to me that night he wrote about 4 times the amount of speeding tickets he usually writes on any given night. We even had someone pull out and pass us while we were doing 45mph in a 40 mph zone. :eek:

I heard Lamborghini just donated that Gollardo
If not I think its a waste of money

All they need is top speed and for 1/5 the money they can get a corvette

jgtcnsx said:
i know they have mustang cops i think in upstate new york and penn. and corvette cops out west. but i dont know about exotics in ca

camaropolice_1024.jpg

The Ultimate Pursuit Vehicle

The latest generation Chevrolet Camaro Z28 9C1 is the fastest police pursuit car on America's roads today. A true musclecar in the tradition of the 60s, it has enough juice to outrun anything and everything, bar the most exotic of supercars and the occassional psycho with an over-the-top 500 hp street dragster.

An unmarked police package Camaro can't really be distinguished from a civilian version. You could look for a spotlight on the A-pillar or a strobe light on the dash or rear deck. No 9C1 badging either. So by the time you spot one, it'll probably be too late.

The Camaro is a true rear-wheel-drive sports car. It is a little heavy, but the screaming LS1 V8 makes sure that straight line speed is not hampered. Both the 6-speed manual and 4-speed automatic version reaches 60 mph in under six seconds. Horsepower has steadily increased from the mid-90s, starting out at 285 hp then and topping off at a whopping 310 hp in 2002. Handling is surprisingly good at high speed, though it is not a pleasant drive when loafing around town. The police package equipment includes auxiliary wiring, lighting and spotlights, engine block heater, transmission oil cooler and heavy-duty suspension among other small modifications. The 2002 model year will be its final production run, as the Camaro is being discontinued. It is being offered with automatic transmission only for its final year. A six-speed manual was available in earlier years. The fastest American police cruiser ever is coming to an end.

Standard are all-wheel disc brakes and four-wheel independent suspension. Top speed is limited to 159 mph, which is more than enough for most purposes, but braking distance from 60 mph to 0 is hardly extraordinary at 140 feet.

Specifications :
Price Range : Only sold to law enforcement agencies. Used ones
available at police auctions.

Engine : V8, OHV, front engine RWD
Displacement : 5,667 cc
Valve : 16 valves, 2 valves per cylinder
Transmission : 6-spd manual, 4-spd automatic
Fuel economy : city - 17 mpg(auto)
highway - 27 mpg(auto)

Horsepower : 305-310 hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque : 335-340 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
0-60 mph : 5.7 sec.(auto)

Curb Weight : 3462 lbs
Overall length : 193.2 in.
Wheelbase : 101.1 in.
Overall Width : 74.4 in.
Height : 51.3 in.

www.chevrolet.com

OK...but what happens when they need to END the pursuit? Do they try to spin the other guy out with the $170,000 car?

Once you arrest the guy for speeding and abating then what do you do? Do you put him in handcuffs and put him in the passenger seat? :confused:

In honor of Italy's police dept's anniversary, Lambo donated this one off Gallardo to them. It is primarily used for rushing organ transplants across the country, as it has a cooler in the front/trunk area.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
The Ultimate Pursuit Vehicle
The latest generation Chevrolet Camaro Z28 9C1 is the fastest police pursuit car on America's roads today.

And here is the main reason why no police officer (at least in the US) should ever be behind the wheel of anything that powerful.

http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/Memorial/Haywood/NewsArticles.htm#ag

The plain truth is that if a person is going to run from a normal patrol car, they are going to run from anything regardless of type. At 100+ MPH an officer can do nothing to stop a speeding vehicle that will not end up killing himself, the fleeing idiot/criminal, or an innocent bystander.

If some moron is doing 100+mph, the police should, under all circumstances, call for air support (helicoptor) to persue, and/or call to set up road blocks/spike strips/etc., and NEVER chase another vehicle just because they have the horsepower to do so.

JMHO

even with the monster, there's no way it can catch a bike.

btw, here in cali. we have a camaro highway potrol. it's hella hard to spot it unless the car right behind your ass. (LED thin lights on top plus the car is white) rumors to be heard it has a 450hp vette engine.

Back