Future NSX Steward

Taking a moment to introduce myself to this exceptional community of enthusiasts. I have been fortunate to have seat time in the Honda s2000, where my passion for Honda sports cars developed. Most recently, I have been exploring the possibility of adding the NSX to my bundle of automotive experiences. Although I understand prices were lower years ago, it wasn't my time. At the moment, I am focusing on learning (developing my NSX-IQ), as I patiently observe the market. I have come to a personal conclusion that the NSX is not a replacement to the s2000 (very different cars and driving experience), so it would need to be an addition. My price point is directing me to the 1990s' examples. Thanks.

Read the Wiki, read through some DIY threads to see what goes and can be fixed easily.

If you are a serious buyer, I'd look at nsxprime, autotrader.com, craigslist, ebay, etc. daily at a minimum. Not only will you be at the forefront of the purchasing pool, but will also get some kind of feel for what some cars are worth, and if something is bargain and how come etc. Feel free to give a shout on here, many members are willing to check out a NSX for you if its across the country, some might have even been its previous owner.

There's even more advice to give, but I'll leave that for another member to share.

Good luck with your search.

Lucas

Welcome!
Keep an eye on the classifieds.

Will do! Thank you.

Read the Wiki, read through some DIY threads to see what goes and can be fixed easily.

If you are a serious buyer, I'd look at nsxprime, autotrader.com, craigslist, ebay, etc. daily at a minimum. Not only will you be at the forefront of the purchasing pool, but will also get some kind of feel for what some cars are worth, and if something is bargain and how come etc. Feel free to give a shout on here, many members are willing to check out a NSX for you if its across the country, some might have even been its previous owner.

There's even more advice to give, but I'll leave that for another member to share.

Good luck with your search.

Lucas

Thank you for the warm welcome and good advice.

What jaja said.

members here know a lot about the NSXs that are out there, it's always wise to post about any car you are interested in and find out how it's been cared for, etc.

another thing is that NSXs are surprisingly easy to work on, most of the components just bolt right up so you'll really enjoy learning about the car and tinkering with suspension, sway bars, brakes, exhaust...

Two thoughts for a future buyer who has some patience:

1) Keep a journal of prices.
While checking the classified is a good idea, it is far too easy to forget what price that XYZ car sold for months ago, so start making a log. I put together a huge table of cars that I would have been interested in and kept track of year, color, asking price, price adjustments, when it was first listed and a few brief notes on condition (salvage, spotless, etc, etc). I was then able to reference my chart when a car came up to get a feel for price. After doing this for several months I found that I had a much stronger grasp on pricing that was based on raw data. Most useful was how long overpriced cars sat on the market as this gave me a bench mark for what a "going" price for a NSX was rather than just an "asking" price.

2) start making car payments now
If you are committed to buying, put your $$ aside now. If you make payments for a full year before purchasing, you can turn a 4 year loan in to a 3 year loan. This also helps you to build a cushion for issues that may pop up after you buy your car.

When I got serious about buying my first NSX I followed the fantastic advice the previous posters have said. But, I will add that I first made up my mind as to what years, color and if I wanted a modified or a bone stock NSX. I also had a price range in mind. Then I considered how rare the color options might be. Rare colors take longer to find so be patient if say Grand Prix White is your choice. You are looking at the early 90s models. The first 3 years are all coupes. Though I've graduated to the targa (which I love) I still miss my coupe. The early coupes are amazing in handling and just raw sports car feel. You will find yourself with a smile every time you get behind the wheel. Because of this, I recommend the coupe for a first NSX and also the price is still somewhat affordable but rising. However, I wouldn't get too caught up on price. If you find what you like in the condition you expect, I wouldn't haggle over a couple thousand dollars. Though, that doesn't mean you don't try to get a better deal. Also be ready to pull the trigger when the right car comes up. The really nice ones sell fast.

If you own an S2000, if at all possible keep it. I own both the S2000 and an NSX. I can tell you they are very different cars and fun to drive for different reasons. I had an NSX before I got the S2000 and I was having a hard time passing the NSX in the garage without jumping in for a spin. But, I wanted my NSX to be a weekend car. I needed a fun car for a daily driver or I'd be in the NSX all of the time. So I bought the S2000. It's not too expensive, easy to maintain, reliable and most of all fun to drive. It's like a go-kart. The NSX on the other hand is on a different level. It is an exotic sports car and as such costs a little more to repair and maintain. It will turn heads when you drive down the road due to it's rarity and surprisingly gets a lot of respect from Ferrari/Lambo crowd. Good luck in your search and once you buy that beauty, post some pictures of it so we can all appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm always checking Prime/autotrader/cars.com/Craigslist/ etc for NSX's , for some reason there are a few good looking deals on and Craigslist app right now...as a new buyer you should be checking them all every day twice a day, cuz when a good deal comes up they are gone to the first responder....if you have the funds ready to go you should hop on one of them...they don't come around too often, but do your homework and always get a PPI...good luck.

Last edited:
What jaja said.

members here know a lot about the NSXs that are out there, it's always wise to post about any car you are interested in and find out how it's been cared for, etc.

another thing is that NSXs are surprisingly easy to work on, most of the components just bolt right up so you'll really enjoy learning about the car and tinkering with suspension, sway bars, brakes, exhaust...

Thank you. I am impressed with the level of knowledge and specific information about cars the community has compiled. Looking forward to continuing to learn.

Two thoughts for a future buyer who has some patience:

1) Keep a journal of prices.

2) start making car payments now
If you are committed to buying, put your $$ aside now. If you make payments for a full year before purchasing, you can turn a 4 year loan in to a 3 year loan. This also helps you to build a cushion for issues that may pop up after you buy your car.

Great advice. I will start keeping a journal. Prices seem all over the place sometimes. Price, year, and mileage is only part of the story. From what I read, having service records and knowing when TB/WP were last done are one of the important steps. A journal could help me preminilarily assess some of the cars.

When I got serious about buying my first NSX I followed the fantastic advice the previous posters have said. But, I will add that I first made up my mind as to what years, color and if I wanted a modified or a bone stock NSX. I also had a price range in mind. Then I considered how rare the color options might be. Rare colors take longer to find so be patient if say Grand Prix White is your choice. You are looking at the early 90s models. The first 3 years are all coupes. Though I've graduated to the targa (which I love) I still miss my coupe. The early coupes are amazing in handling and just raw sports car feel. You will find yourself with a smile every time you get behind the wheel. Because of this, I recommend the coupe for a first NSX and also the price is still somewhat affordable but rising. However, I wouldn't get too caught up on price. If you find what you like in the condition you expect, I wouldn't haggle over a couple thousand dollars. Though, that doesn't mean you don't try to get a better deal. Also be ready to pull the trigger when the right car comes up. The really nice ones sell fast.

If you own an S2000, if at all possible keep it. I own both the S2000 and an NSX. I can tell you they are very different cars and fun to drive for different reasons. I had an NSX before I got the S2000 and I was having a hard time passing the NSX in the garage without jumping in for a spin. But, I wanted my NSX to be a weekend car. I needed a fun car for a daily driver or I'd be in the NSX all of the time. So I bought the S2000. It's not too expensive, easy to maintain, reliable and most of all fun to drive. It's like a go-kart. The NSX on the other hand is on a different level. It is an exotic sports car and as such costs a little more to repair and maintain. It will turn heads when you drive down the road due to it's rarity and surprisingly gets a lot of respect from Ferrari/Lambo crowd. Good luck in your search and once you buy that beauty, post some pictures of it so we can all appreciate it.

Fantastic. Thanks for the advice and recommendations. Right now I am leaning toward a 1991-93. My favorite colors are Spa Yellow and GPW. Still need to learn more about all of the interior color combinations. Completely agree with your assessment between the two cars. Amazing to have a s2000 and NSX in the same garage. I do not know if Honda will have make cars like that again. I am looking forward to nsxpo one day. I will mostly certainly post the pictures of my adventure once I find the NSX waiting for me :). The community here is what makes the ownership experience a great one.

I'm always checking Prime/autotrader/cars.com/Craigslist/ etc for NSX's , for some reason there are a few good looking deals on and Craigslist app right now...as a new buyer you should be checking them all every day twice a day, cuz when a good deal comes up they are gone to the first responder....if you have the funds ready to go you should hop on one of them...they don't come around too often, but do your homework and always get a PPI...good luck.

Thank you. I have been looking at Cragslist and playing with applications that can give me a nationwide search.

Last edited:
how do you guys reconcile a good car being "gone to the first responder" with the need to get a PPI?

Give a deposit & hope the seller keeps his word & doesn't sell to someone willing to buy sight unseen?

how do you guys reconcile a good car being "gone to the first responder" with the need to get a PPI?

Give a deposit & hope the seller keeps his word & doesn't sell to someone willing to buy sight unseen?

I purchased both of my NSXs sight unseen and out of state. In both cases I spoke to the owners at length, asking a lot of questions about the owner, the car and their experience with the car to get a feel for their knowledge and enthusiasm for the car. Once I felt comfortable with the owner's character, we talked deal subject to verifying the condition of the car.

After we arrived at a price, I offered a deposit to hold the car. In both cases the owners didn't require a deposit as they knew I was a serious buyer and that I was prepared to be out there to buy the car in the next 48hrs. We also came to an agreement as to how the money and title would change hands. I was doing a cash deal, least on their end of the transaction. Which, meant that either I had my financing approved before I even contacted them or as in the second car ,I had the cash in the bank waiting for a car to buy. Then I had them send me a PDF of the receipts for the major maintenance items such as WP/TB etc. I searched the internet for any info on the VIN including both a CarFax and Autocheck report. If everything including maintenance intervals checked out, no PPI was needed as I knew what to look for including tell-tale signs of accident damage. I booked a one way flight once I felt confident that the car would be as advertised. But, I was fully prepared to purchase a ticket back home if the car didn't prove acceptable.

The key to all of this is do your homework. Get to know the owner and his/her care of the car. Get to know as much about the car as you can. Be ready with cash and the ability to pick up the car within 48hrs.

Now, I consider myself a decent judge of character. But, there is always the risk of being wrong and on a deal like buying a collectable car there is no way around the risk. You just have to minimize it as much as possible. The way I had both deals set up, the most I could lose is the cost of a round trip flight and my time. Patience is the key to finding the right car and the ability to"pull the trigger" immediately is the key to getting the car. I hope this answers your question and doesn’t hijack this thread.

Last edited:
I also purchased mine sight unseen. Of course there was the opportunity to back out once I had seen the car, but at that point it is likely difficult for anyone to walk away from their dream car. As Lostbuckeye wrote, the key to a transaction like this is a ton of research. I don't think I would have done it if I had not been able to thoroughly research the history of the car through the dealer that had serviced it. Then just have some $$ stashed away for the things that you will inevitably want to address after you have purchased.

Finally, I guess I'll go against the opinion of some of the others here and recommend moving fairly quickly for two reasons: 1) Prices are headed nowhere but up; 2) I guarantee that every time you downshift and nail it coming out of a tight corner, you will keep asking yourself: "Why did I wait so long to buy this awesome car?!?".

Back